Which models are stolen most?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bj Binette

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey guys, my insurance company wants to increase my rates by $500 when I renew because it's a RAM, "high risk of theft". Unless I have a sytem installed, which they have specifically chosen, that has several hidden gps tracking devices. Any other security system is not valid except for slightly lowered rate but the $500 still applies. Also, I contacted the company that sells this system and it has to be reinstalled every 5 years due to the life expectancy of the batteries in the gps devices. The system is about $250 with a discount code. I'm fine with having a tracking system installed but for someone to go through the whole vehicle to install several hidden devices is unnerving.
I'm calling BS on this because I don't think a Tradesman fits in the category of most stolen vehicles so it shouldn't apply to my truck. I'm looking for specific data that shows which models are being stolen most. We all know damn well which are being stolen but I want to prove it to the insurance company so I can kick em to the curb.
Thanks for your help

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
We all know damn well which are being stolen but I want to prove it to the insurance company so I can kick em to the curb.
Thanks for your help

You aren't going to convince them of anything. They have the data they have. What stops you from just taking your business else where now?

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Wow, I picked up my truck in March, and when I went to my agent (State Farm) she told me my rate would only go up about $20 per month, and that was mostly because I raised my coverage.

CanRebel

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Hey guys, my insurance company wants to increase my rates by $500 when I renew because it's a RAM, "high risk of theft". Unless I have a sytem installed, which they have specifically chosen, that has several hidden gps tracking devices. Any other security system is not valid except for slightly lowered rate but the $500 still applies. Also, I contacted the company that sells this system and it has to be reinstalled every 5 years due to the life expectancy of the batteries in the gps devices. The system is about $250 with a discount code. I'm fine with having a tracking system installed but for someone to go through the whole vehicle to install several hidden devices is unnerving.
I'm calling BS on this because I don't think a Tradesman fits in the category of most stolen vehicles so it shouldn't apply to my truck. I'm looking for specific data that shows which models are being stolen most. We all know damn well which are being stolen but I want to prove it to the insurance company so I can kick em to the curb.
Thanks for your help

What part of Canada are you in ? I'm in Ontario, mine hasn't increased, nor have they that said that.
I have been stopped/questioned about "stolen" Truck, 3 times now by police.

Ram's are #2 or #3 highest stolen here.

Stavinksi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sounds like a good excuse to go insurance shopping. Total BS. uConnect knows where your truck is. If the police need this info they can get it. VW just lost a big deal on that for trying to make a consumer pay a subscription for the location of a vehicle that was stolen with a child inside. You don’t need a third party service. This insurance company wants you to have it so they can sell your location data and collect a kick back from said tracking company.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Depending on where he lives in Canada he might not have an option of changing insurance companies.Provinces like Sask and BC to name a couple have government insurance,and you don't really have any options for insurance except the one the provincial government controls

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've been using State Farm for decades, (now known as Desjardins up here). IIRC, I pay about $1050/year for full coverage. And those are Canadastan dollars, less value than US $.

My agent's office person sounded embarrassed when she informed me of no discounts for using Sirius Guardian. I think that's just insanity for the insurance company to have that position and I plan to shop around.

Insurance is just a huge scam everywhere and we all get treated differently because of the algorithms applied based on our postal/zip code and the planet alignment when we sign up.

SniperDroid

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Depending on where he lives in Canada he might not have an option of changing insurance companies.Provinces like Sask and BC to name a couple have government insurance,and you don't really have any options for insurance except the one the provincial government controls
WTF? That sucks huge!

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
Sounds like a good excuse to go insurance shopping. Total BS. uConnect knows where your truck is. If the police need this info they can get it.

Technically true, but also useless for a stolen vehicle. Unless there's an ongoing threat to life the best we can do is a subpoena or warrant for the info, which will then tell you where it *was* and often takes weeks to months to get from the company. We can't track it, only request pings, even if there is an ongoing threat to life. It's not like we have direct access to the system or are granted real time location data.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
The government has a corner on the booze market, too, up there.

faross

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 l
Wow, I picked up my truck in March, and when I went to my agent (State Farm) she told me my rate would only go up about $20 per month, and that was mostly because I raised my coverage.
Humm iv been with state farm for more than 20 years went from a promaster city to a 22 1500 classic tradesman bill went up about $60 I'm shopping now .

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Only in some provinces.Alberta for instance has privately owned liquor and pot stores :Big Laugh:
I did not know that. All my relatives live in BC and Saskatchatoon and the last time I was up there, which was quite a number of years ago, the only alcohol was in the government stores, eh.

Last edited:

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Humm iv been with state farm for more than 20 years went from a promaster city to a 22 1500 classic tradesman bill went up about $60 I'm shopping now .
Might depend on where you live. I'm in really rural Arkansas.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I did not know that. All my relatives live in BC and Saskatoon, and the last time I was up there, which was quite a number of years ago, the only alcohol was in the government stores, eh.
In Alberta you can find a liquor or pot store on pretty well every corner,lol.Back in high school we used to go to Macdonalds in Saskatoon pretty well every week-end,even though it was 2 hours away,not a hell'va lot to do in small town Saskatchewan back in the 70's on a Friday or Saturday night in the summer,except get in trouble lol

OP
OP
Bj Binette

Bj Binette

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What part of Canada are you in ? I'm in Ontario, mine hasn't increased, nor have they that said that.
I have been stopped/questioned about "stolen" Truck, 3 times now by police.

Ram's are #2 or #3 highest stolen here.
I'm in Ottawa. Insured with Belair Direct.