Which of these is the likely culprit for my 'Parking Light Out' message?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigFrog

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You've cleared the codes using Alfa? Are you sure all the OEM settings are in place? And just to be clear, running stock headlights and halogens and incandescent turns front and rear?
Fwiw, some of the changes you make in Alfa can take HOURS for the BCM to accept. Not sure why it takes so long for some settings, but I've had to let the truck rest for several hours when making drl changes. If, even after all this and you're still having issues, I'd get under the truck and very carefully examine the harness and make sure it wasn't pinched somewhere along the bed where it can be grounding out.
If you're all stock and the issue wasn't at the sockets (which is extremely surprising to me), then the issue has to be deeper.
I've cleared the codes in Alfa and the actual OBDLink software (which is pretty darn good, and free). In all this, I've made changes, waited 5 minutes (and longer) and I've made the changes and let sit overnight. Actually the DRL worked right away and it didn't screw anything up. I've even changed the DRL to different options, with success. I have my original file and printed it out, to make sure I could default the system. That sat overnight and into the next afternoon. Going to my buddy's house today and we're going to get into the wiring. That said, if anyone needs rear OEM sockets, let me know, I have an extra set

BigFrog

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You've cleared the codes using Alfa? Are you sure all the OEM settings are in place? And just to be clear, running stock headlights and halogens and incandescent turns front and rear?
Fwiw, some of the changes you make in Alfa can take HOURS for the BCM to accept. Not sure why it takes so long for some settings, but I've had to let the truck rest for several hours when making drl changes. If, even after all this and you're still having issues, I'd get under the truck and very carefully examine the harness and make sure it wasn't pinched somewhere along the bed where it can be grounding out.
If you're all stock and the issue wasn't at the sockets (which is extremely surprising to me), then the issue has to be deeper.
I also contacted Alfa support and the errors I found in the program - he's going to change/correct in the new version coming out. I now have him involved with trying to solve this.

hunterdan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I also contacted Alfa support and the errors I found in the program - he's going to change/correct in the new version coming out. I now have him involved with trying to solve this.
Be nice if they can get the option to set the drl to the parking light instead of the turn signal....

Terenosal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
After over a year of constantly getting the annoying message every time my lights were on and I’d hit the brake. I’m glad to say problem was solved for me. The fix was replacing the brake light sockets with the RAM OEM ones. Don’t waste your time/money by getting any aftermarket sockets especially Dorman. Ran me $20 from my local RAM dealer. Sweet silence! Attached is my original sockets I had to replace they were a bit toasty! I’m not running any LED lighting for anyone looking for the LED fix. RAM on!

Attachments

• 27B1AA73-E88D-45C3-AFEA-D72DEEE29CD0.jpeg
    27B1AA73-E88D-45C3-AFEA-D72DEEE29CD0.jpeg
    234.2 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

BigFrog

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
After over a year of constantly getting the annoying message every time my lights were on and I’d hit the brake. I’m glad to say problem was solved for me. The fix was replacing the brake light sockets with the RAM OEM ones. Don’t waste your time/money by getting any aftermarket sockets especially Dorman. Ran me $20 from my local RAM dealer. Sweet silence! Attached is my original sockets I had to replace they were a bit toasty! I’m not running any LED lighting for anyone looking for the LED fix. RAM on!
Congratulations. If you read back a few, I replaced mine with OEM sockets, but I paid $20 a socket. That DID NOT rectify the issue.

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I put all original incandescent bulbs, reversed everything in AlfaOBD and the parking light error still happens. TWO TIMES. Drove around for it to take. Lol, I'm about ready to go back to Ford.
Going to Ford may not help you. They, like most manufacturers nowadays, use CAN Bus strategies.

There may be something you didn't consider. It's possible there was an issue with circuitry before you even started, and now that you've disturbed wiring the problem is now permanent.

Earlier you listed two codes associated with this issue, a B16D7 and a B16DF. There are usually dash suffix codes along with these codes, like "B16DF-xx" or B16D7-xx. You have the codes. Did you capture the code definitions? For example: B16DF-xx will likely be defined as Right Taillamp 1 Control Circuit Short to Ground; B16DF-yy, Right Taillamp 1 Control Circuit Short to Battery or Open. These codes will almost always steer you to the problem on an unaltered factory vehicle.

Now I don't have the wiring diagram for your year, and frankly after reading each message in this thread I'm really not sure where you are at this point. But I would recommend getting back to the factory configuration and see if you have everything working and without a fault, then add your new lighting components one-at-a time and verifying the system is working correctly before the next step.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 3 June 2018. Now at 84093 miles

BigFrog

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Going to Ford may not help you. They, like most manufacturers nowadays, use CAN Bus strategies.

There may be something you didn't consider. It's possible there was an issue with circuitry before you even started, and now that you've disturbed wiring the problem is now permanent.

Earlier you listed two codes associated with this issue, a B16D7 and a B16DF. There are usually dash suffix codes along with these codes, like "B16DF-xx" or B16D7-xx. You have the codes. Did you capture the code definitions? For example: B16DF-xx will likely be defined as Right Taillamp 1 Control Circuit Short to Ground; B16DF-yy, Right Taillamp 1 Control Circuit Short to Battery or Open. These codes will almost always steer you to the problem on an unaltered factory vehicle.

Now I don't have the wiring diagram for your year, and frankly after reading each message in this thread I'm really not sure where you are at this point. But I would recommend getting back to the factory configuration and see if you have everything working and without a fault, then add your new lighting components one-at-a time and verifying the system is working correctly before the next step.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 3 June 2018. Now at 84093 miles
Dusty, I factory defaulted lighting 2-3 times (as mentioned earlier). You're right, like it's "stuck". Didn't work. BUT now I think I might be getting somewhere.

AlfaOBD was spitting out only the rear ground faults on tails. Replaced the sockets. I installed OBDLink from the play store and ran it for errors. It can only read and clear, no write. Sure enough, the front left and right park/directionals were showing ground shorts. I checked the front park/directionals for continuity. Nothing, zip, nada, no continuity. AH-HA! Not showing fronts as faults (just rears) in Alfa, but showing in OBDLink AND no continuity when metered. So, I cleared errors, I took front right socket out, turned on directional and sure enough, "Parking Light Out" shows up, along with "Right Front Turn Signal Out".

Get this, Mopar doesn't sell the front socket inserts (just the tail inserts). YOU HAVE TO BUY THE ENTIRE HEADLIGHT ASSEMBLY, just to get the park/directional socket insert (because it comes with it). UNBELIEVABLE!

So now I matched up the front socket with a pigtail and I'm going to cut out the front park/directionals out and wire in the pigtails, without the need for removable sockets. They should be here tomorrow.

BigFrog

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Here's what this nightmare has looked like so far.

Attachments

• PXL_20230209_230512902.jpg
    PXL_20230209_230512902.jpg
    209.3 KB · Views: 14

BigFrog

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

Regards,
Dusty
By the way Dusty, AlfaOBD doesn't give anything with a dash. It'll just give you B16DF not B16DF-xx.

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
By the way Dusty, AlfaOBD doesn't give anything with a dash. It'll just give you B16DF not B16DF-xx.
Ah. That's likely based on nobody I know uses it as a diagnostic tool so much. The Mopar scan tool of course does, and I know the SnapOn tool does as well.

Hope you have a wiring diagram.

Best of luck,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 3 June 2018. Now at 84110 miles

hunterdan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Dusty, I factory defaulted lighting 2-3 times (as mentioned earlier). You're right, like it's "stuck". Didn't work. BUT now I think I might be getting somewhere.

AlfaOBD was spitting out only the rear ground faults on tails. Replaced the sockets. I installed OBDLink from the play store and ran it for errors. It can only read and clear, no write. Sure enough, the front left and right park/directionals were showing ground shorts. I checked the front park/directionals for continuity. Nothing, zip, nada, no continuity. AH-HA! Not showing fronts as faults (just rears) in Alfa, but showing in OBDLink AND no continuity when metered. So, I cleared errors, I took front right socket out, turned on directional and sure enough, "Parking Light Out" shows up, along with "Right Front Turn Signal Out".

Get this, Mopar doesn't sell the front socket inserts (just the tail inserts). YOU HAVE TO BUY THE ENTIRE HEADLIGHT ASSEMBLY, just to get the park/directional socket insert (because it comes with it). UNBELIEVABLE!

So now I matched up the front socket with a pigtail and I'm going to cut out the front park/directionals out and wire in the pigtails, without the need for removable sockets. They should be here tomorrow.
When ram went to the quad lights. They started including the sockets with the housings, prior years they were separate. Not sure why they don't cross the part number with current models since dual housings are technically compatible with quad headlight trucks and the wiring is the same (same sockets for the turns). Here's a part number for the the front turn sign sockets. I actually ordered a set because I am installing alpharex headlights in the next few days and don't have my OEM lights anymore.
68083021aa
I ordered these aftermarket sockets because I've never had issues with the front sockets (even with aftermarket housings that came with aftermarket sockets).
https://a.co/d/e8Zpjba
I also ordered a set for a GMC Acadia from Napa, because they look identical, but the bulb doesn't sit in the housing as far, so it'll be interesting to see if they actually fit the housing and plug. Like I said, they plug looks identical to the OEM Mopar.

BigFrog

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
When ram went to the quad lights. They started including the sockets with the housings, prior years they were separate. Not sure why they don't cross the part number with current models since dual housings are technically compatible with quad headlight trucks and the wiring is the same (same sockets for the turns). Here's a part number for the the front turn sign sockets. I actually ordered a set because I am installing alpharex headlights in the next few days and don't have my OEM lights anymore.
68083021aa
I ordered these aftermarket sockets because I've never had issues with the front sockets (even with aftermarket housings that came with aftermarket sockets).
https://a.co/d/e8Zpjba
I also ordered a set for a GMC Acadia from Napa, because they look identical, but the bulb doesn't sit in the housing as far, so it'll be interesting to see if they actually fit the housing and plug. Like I said, they plug looks identical to the OEM Mopar.
Ironically, those are the ones I ordered Wednesday and they'll be here today. I also ordered 3157 T25 pigtail sockets in case 68083021aa doesn't fit.

hunterdan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ironically, those are the ones I ordered Wednesday and they'll be here today. I also ordered 3157 T25 pigtail sockets in case 68083021aa doesn't fit.
May need some trimming

BigFrog

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
May need some trimming
68083021AA are front sockets for Ram 2009-2012 and hopefully they'll fit my 2016. If trimming is needed, I don't mind. I'm just hoping at this point, is my problem.

hunterdan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
68083021AA are front sockets for Ram 2009-2012 and hopefully they'll fit my 2016. If trimming is needed, I don't mind. I'm just hoping at this point, is my problem.
Agreed, trimming is a minor annoyance. I'm sure I'll be doing the same thing when mine come in. Hopefully on the right track to getting it squared away.

BigFrog

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Agreed, trimming is a minor annoyance. I'm sure I'll be doing the same thing when mine come in. Hopefully on the right track to getting it squared away.
A perfect match Dan. The black gasket is the new one.

Attachments

• PXL_20230210_200906716.jpg
    PXL_20230210_200906716.jpg
    281.5 KB · Views: 6
  • PXL_20230210_200852113.jpg
    PXL_20230210_200852113.jpg
    238.9 KB · Views: 6
  • PXL_20230210_200838771.jpg
    PXL_20230210_200838771.jpg
    313.6 KB · Views: 6
  • PXL_20230210_200809519.jpg
    PXL_20230210_200809519.jpg
    207.8 KB · Views: 6

hunterdan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
A perfect match Dan. The black gasket is the new one.
My new alpharex lights came in today and to my surprise, they came with socket adapters, so the sockets I ordered are no longer needed. The ones from Amazon I'm just going to send back. So far I had one parking light out message appear when I first turned the lights on, but it quickly went away and hasn't returned even after trying a few combinations of lights on, turns on, brakes on. Hopefully your issue is on its way to being resolved.

BigFrog

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My new alpharex lights came in today and to my surprise, they came with socket adapters, so the sockets I ordered are no longer needed. The ones from Amazon I'm just going to send back. So far I had one parking light out message appear when I first turned the lights on, but it quickly went away and hasn't returned even after trying a few combinations of lights on, turns on, brakes on. Hopefully your issue is on its way to being resolved.
Congrats! LED? Did they have can-bus adapters or resistors? Who did you order them from? I might head that way in the future sometime.

hunterdan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Congrats! LED? Did they have can-bus adapters or resistors? Who did you order them from? I might head that way in the future sometime.
Full LED, no adapters or anything, I'm pretty well alfaobd modified at this point.

BigFrog

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I just hope bretthays gets his Mopar rear sockets today and clears his issue. Hijacked his post.