Whirring sound coming from front end...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DG547

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 1500 Quad Cab
Engine
V8 4.7L
I own a 2013 Ram 1500 V8 4.7L Recently I had to replace CV and axle on Front L side. Technician at body shop told me that the differential fluid had been low after I got it changed at Grease Monkey ( ~ bad decision) and I also had them do an inspection and fluid exchange. I picked up the truck and immediately noticed a whirring sound coming from the front end. I don't know if its coming from one side or the other. Seems to be constant at any speed over 10mph. I spent a lot of money getting the axle fixed and I do not want to go thru that again all in the same week. Can anyone give me some advice on what to check myself? I don't have any clunking sound or metal grinding but it does concern me. I am thinking it might be the carrier bearings, and/or wheel bearings but reading other posts doesn't seem to fit the description of my issue. I have 64,000 miles on the drivetrain and recently expired warranty. Any info or insights would be highly appreciated. Thanks!

JS1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Does it sound like it could be coming from the engine bay?

JohnnyMac

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500 Laramie
Engine
3.0 EcoBurner
Just to confirm, does the whirring only occur while driving, or when the engine is running and sitting still. Does the sound change when you go in and out of 4wd? If it didn't do it before you showed up and it does it now, then I would take it back to them and explain what's going on. Take them on a drive to hear it.

OP
OP
D

DG547

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 1500 Quad Cab
Engine
V8 4.7L
So I was driving around today and I believe the noise is coming from the front end, not the engine bay. It does not make any sound in reverse or when sitting at an idle. It seems to increase in intensity the faster the vehicle goes. It did make a similar sound just before I had the front diff. fluid change back in October, then it seemed to be gone. I'm hoping it doesn't have something to do with the axle but maybe it has something to do with the carrier bearings. I don't have a shop/lift to do a full inspection on fluid levels in the front differential. I expected the shop to inform me of any other issues after the inspection they performed on the front end. Pretty concerned thou and I hope I am not making it worse by driving....

rojo_143

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Sounds like you may have a bearing going out but like Johnny Mac asked does the sound change at if you are in 2WD vs 4WD? If it is happening while its in 2WD it may just be a wheel bearing.

OP
OP
D

DG547

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 1500 Quad Cab
Engine
V8 4.7L
I have yet to test it in 4x4, maybe tonight in a parking lot then for a short cruise. I would be relieved if its just a wheel bearing and not something else in the drivetrain. Either way I will have more info. about it tomorrow.

22hemi13

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 4x4
Engine
Jack it up. Spin the wheels. That’ll rule out bearing very fast.

OP
OP
D

DG547

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 1500 Quad Cab
Engine
V8 4.7L
Couldn't wait, I went a short drive switching in and out of 4wd 3 times and varying speeds. The noise doesn't change or disappear. I believe that is a good sign that its not in the front differential, tomorrow I will jack up the front wheels and do the bearing test. Thanks for all the help and I will be updating tomorrow.

BLUEDERANGO

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Besides my 2500 I also have a 2014 Durango which has the same drivetrain as the 1500. At about 70,000 miles I noticed a "noise" from the front end while driving at lower speeds. I jacked it up and sure enough the left front had a lot of play in the wheel bearing. replaced both front wheel bearings with Timken Bearings and the noise and rumble were gone..

OP
OP
D

DG547

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 1500 Quad Cab
Engine
V8 4.7L
To update this post I did the wheel bearing test this morning and found no play in either of the front wheels. I noticed my oil was dirty so I took it to a local Grease Monkey and explained the sound issue to the manager who test drove the vehicle. He agreed that the sound was coming from the F L side and that maybe it was an internal bearing issue. I have now taken the truck back to the shop and explained to them the noise and told them the possible issues (carrier bearings, internal bearings). I am however surprised that this issue was not told to me after an inspection from the first visit. Just to summarize, I've had the truck in the shop twice in a week and a F L CV replacement and F L axle replacement. F and R differential fluid changes, an oil change and a wheel bearing assessment. Still have the noisy front end so hopefully this time it will get taken care of. Thanks for the help!!

22hemi13

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 4x4
Engine
You checked for play on wheels. But did you spin them and listen for noise? Did it spin easy or difficult? Sure sounds like bearing issue to me.

22hemi13

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 4x4
Engine
My front hub was going bad. It had zero wiggle or play. But when you spin it it sounded like it was grinding and was hard to spin. Replaced and was good as new.