Who has the Cummins in a 23 model?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ahhnuld

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I am looking at one and am wondering if this is a good thing or go to a Limited 2500? It appears to be a great 4x4 platform with the durability and towing ability of the diesel.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
A Ram truck with the Cummins engine may have 4X4 but it's not really an off-road capable vehicle. Due to the extra 800 lbs the CTD adds over the front axle, it leaves the back end "light". There are usually times where 4X4 is required when the 6.4 Hemi truck would just drive along in 2WD.
If your looking to tow a trailer you can't get much better than than having a Cummins under the hood and if some says the 6.4 Hemi tows just as good chances are they haven't towed with a CTD.

OP
OP
Ahhnuld

Ahhnuld

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I agree, but given that it has lockers on both front and rear, its still better than the limited 2500 in that respect, I would think.

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
Is there some new information I’m not aware of? I have not seen front lockers in any trim other than a PW. And diesels are not available in a PW.

I have had several diesel Rams, they’re not bad off road. But the PW is far better. Locked and flexy.

OP
OP
Ahhnuld

Ahhnuld

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Go to the RAM website. They made a Rebel version of a PW. And I have the sticker of one loaded out and it shows the lockers and its a PW with a cummins.

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Go to the RAM website. They made a Rebel version of a PW. And I have the sticker of one loaded out and it shows the lockers and its a PW with a cummins.
Well, post up a picture. I think you’re confused, because a Rebel is not a PW, but maybe I’ll learn something new.

Pudge

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Power Wagon 75th
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I think that’s bad info from the dealer. This is a new Rebel 2500, but is not a Power Wagon. The window sticker confirms it as well. I think this is going to be a great model for Ram, but don’t get it confused with a true Power Wagon that has many more off road features (softer suspension, front lockers, sway bar disconnect, winch, etc). I think the Rebel with a Cummings is the way to go if you don’t do off roading, and want a higher tow and payload capacities.

Last edited:

Westwind1124a

Reaction score
Ram Year
2024 ZR2Hd
Engine
6.6 Duramax
I think that’s bad info from the dealer. This is a new Rebel 2500, but is not a Power Wagon. The window sticker confirms it as well. I think this is going to be a great model for Ram, but don’t get it confused with a true Power Wagon that has many more off road features. I think the Rebel with a Cummings is the way to go if you don’t do off roading, and want a higher tow and payload capacities.
Just goes to show you how ignorant and or deceitful the dealerships are. They dont even know what they're selling

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ram can’t even print a window sticker that’s not confusing. It looks like they started with a PW “standard equipment (unless replaced by optional equipment) “ and then the option package deletes the front locker. And there’s no mention of sway bar disconnect and winch, which are standard equipment on a PW.

So you can have a Rebel diesel, but not a PW diesel.

So, nothing new except confusing language on the sticker. Easy to see how the OP was misled by that advertisement.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yea, why they even mention the two words power wagon is completely beyond me. That just makes it confusing for people. Its not a power wagon by any means. All it really has over and above any other regular 2500 is the rear locker (no front locker), different suspension/tires/wheels, and the appearance package. Having power wagon on the actual window sticker is just wrong.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Here is literature from a dealer selling one…nowhere even close to correct!!…

Our 2023 RAM 2500 Power Wagon Crew Cab 4X4 is where tremendous strength meets terrific trail capability in Bright White! Motivated by a TurboCharged 6.7 Liter Cummins Diesel 6 Cylinder providing 370hp and 850lb-ft of torque to a 6 Speed Automatic transmission for impressive capability. This Four Wheel Drive truck can take on almost anything with an Articulink suspension, performance-tuned shocks, locking front and rear differentials, protective skid plates, and a WARN winch. Dressed to thrill, our RAM 2500 is ready for action with a mighty grille, LED lighting, fog lamps, two-tone lower paint, off-road fender flares, black powder-coated bumpers, and aggressive alloy wheels.More bold details await in our Power Wagon cabin, including comfortable cloth seats with tire-tread-style embossing, a leather-wrapped steering wheel, single-zone climate control, and handy dual gloveboxes. Uconnect 5 technology delivers fantastic digital advantages with a 12-inch touchscreen, WiFi compatibility, voice control, Apple CarPlay, Android Auto, Bluetooth, and a six-speaker sound system.Stay safer tackling harsh conditions with smart RAM features like a backup camera, front and rear parking sensors, stability/traction control, hill-start assist, hill-descent control, ABS, advanced multistage airbags, and more. Our 2500 Power Wagon is a mighty machine for getting more done! Save this Page and Call for Availability. We Know You Will Enjoy Your Test Drive Towards Ownership!

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It states in the optional equipment that it has a conventional front dif. Rear locker only. And no winch, sway bar disconnect or flexy suspension like the power wagon.

The rebel definitely is a bit more off road worthy than a regular 2500 (rear locker, aggressive tires), but make no mistake…its not a power wagon. Regardless what the dummies put on the build sheet.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
and its 95,000 :eek: could just about buy 2 of my Tradesman Powerwagons for that
Msrp of tradesman power wagons are up in the mid 60’s now. My gosh. I bought my laramie power wagon in ‘16 for $51k.

TotallyHucked

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Sport CCLWB
Engine
We have a '23 3500 DRW with the standard output Cummins. Got ~6k miles on it and so far I love it. It's very stable, has plenty of power and is very comfortable. We got 4x4 just because we travel around the country going to car shows with a trailer attached and would hate to get stuck in a field somewhere. For offroad purposes, I would definitely lean toward a 6.4 PW just cuz of the weight.

Ratman6161

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
A Ram truck with the Cummins engine may have 4X4 but it's not really an off-road capable vehicle. Due to the extra 800 lbs the CTD adds over the front axle, it leaves the back end "light". There are usually times where 4X4 is required when the 6.4 Hemi truck would just drive along in 2WD.
If your looking to tow a trailer you can't get much better than than having a Cummins under the hood and if some says the 6.4 Hemi tows just as good chances are they haven't towed with a CTD.
Unless you need more than about 2100# 0ayload rating. ;)

Danny Phillips

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I took my stock 2015 2500 Laramie to Moab when we were coming down from WA state. It did phenomenally well off road even with 80 psi in the tires stock Firestone. the tire is junk but it performed very well in the sand and snow. We were towing a 12000 pound fifth wheel, not off road though.