Why are manufacturers still putting cloth seats in trucks?

Do you like cloth seats or leather?

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Truck Fun

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Does installation require going to an 'official' katzkin dealer installer or can a good custom shop do the work?

OP
OP
Rusty Shackleford
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Does installation require going to an 'official' katzkin dealer installer or can a good custom shop do the work?

I think you can just buy them and take them to a shop of your choice if you choose.

What's really nice about Katzkin installing them is they have their own network of mobile installers that come to you. They will come to your house or work etc... They have a big 30ft katzkin van that they work out of.

The whole install process was extremely convenient, the guy showed up to my house and i gave him my key at 8am. At 2:30 he was completely done.

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
any good reputable shop can install them

Reactions: BWL

miles01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I traded my 2011 big horn for a newer Laramie
I hate the leather, it is not as comfortable as my cloth big horn seats were (the big horn had heated seats)

pengland01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 6I Cummings HO turbo diesel
I prefer cloth. However, with the package selected I ended up with leather. This is the first truck with the ventilated seats and I do like the leather with the air conditioning and heat being blown through the coverings.

Daboink

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I am in Tracy's camp. I have had both, and have always migrated toward cloth. I did just however order the 2021 75th Ann Powerwagon with the Mountain Brown leather. I think it will be awesome with the Olive Green exterior. It also has ventilated seats for the days in the summer when the leather will scald some butt!

ToTheDarkSide

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Vinyl with carhartt seat covers. Not hot to the touch in summer. Not cold to the balls in winter. Easy clean up. Doesn’t collect dust. Kids spill ****. Covers clean in washer. I’ve had every type of seat. These are the most stress free in my mind. I hated slapping my hand down on my cloth seats and seeing a cloud of dust form. And I really hated repeating over and over, “hey ******* watch the leather!” Haha

canadiankodiak700

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7L Pentastar
I am thinking of adding the leather seats with lots of chrome accents. :33:

Seriously, I have the light grey interior and the seats are a pain to keep clean. I am fine with cloth, but don't want the covers that go over existing seats, I want the replacement material. I think it just looks better if changing color, which I would not stay light no matter what.
Look into clazzios seat covers. They do go over the existing material, but once installed, you can't tell, they look just like oem leather.
Had them in my F150, and the sales manager was trying to figure out what trim package cans with those seats.... Lol he still didn't believe me that they were a cover until I showed him by rolling up a tiny bit of an edge on rear seat.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

canadiankodiak700

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7L Pentastar
Vinyl seats, rubber floor! Carpet sucks, as does cleaning cloth seats.

View attachment 229939
Oh man I would kill for a vinyl floor. If I could find someone with a 4th Gen quadcab with vinyl floor that wanted like new black carpet, I would meet up, gut the interior and trade in a heartbeat

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

ToTheDarkSide

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I got a vinyl floor this time too. That was the hardest option to find locally. Its worth it. And with the huge mopar rubber mats you get with the snow plow whatever package, it’s so easy to keep the interior clean.

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I bought the molded Mopar floor covers, they fit really well and do a great job covering the front carpet and they're easy to remove and hose off. Best of both worlds, I think.

star_deceiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
The molded floor mats catch most everything except the sand, small rocks, and coins that seem to work themselves everywhere.

Also, there’s carpet under the rear seat... because why not keep things consistent.
D7A3A4F7-3B89-46FB-B07E-C4518E0662BB.jpeg C0EF02FE-95A5-443C-B0A1-2B4E918BF68C.jpeg

co-pilot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EDIT: Pics added...The seats are actually a two tone; black and Lapis gray...the lapis is actually the same color as the oem "diesel gray" interior. the camera makes them look lighter.

This is just for fun and to hear other peoples opinions.

I bought a 19 classic this year and I love the truck but I absolutely hated the cloth seats. For the amount of money trucks cost these days leather should be standard lol.

I had Katzkin leather installed yesterday with seat heaters as well and WOW i couldn't be happier...definitely not cheap but money well spent in my opinion. I drive a lot and the extra comfort/durability is worth it to me. If you wish you had leather seats I highly suggest looking into it.

Katzkin has a great website where you can customize your seats;https://katzkin.com/

View attachment 229992

View attachment 229993

View attachment 229994

View attachment 229995

I Think there is a place for both........but hey!......your interior turned out nice!!!!

Doug Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Eco Diesel _3.0
I prefer cloth. To me, leather is just fancy vinyl, only at a higher price.

Both leather and vinyl are cold in the winter, and heating takes too long.

Both leather and vinyl are sticky in summer. When not sticky, leather and vinyl are slippery. And stay slippery until old and ripped and cracked.

However vinyl and leather don't fade and are easier to clean, usually.

Is leather better in luxury cars?

My opinion on this subject come from having leather in a very nice 2005 Dodge Durango Limited and 2008 Toyota Solara Convertible (which we still have). The Solara's drivers seat is a mess at only 108,000 miles. The Dodge Durango's front seats were showing lots of age at only 100,000 miles when it was totaled. The Durango's leather rear seats were not immune from stains... kids and dog stains.