Why buy running boards

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
Hell just the fact that anyone's wife says get them is enough reason "TO" get them lol ... for most of us getting an approval to get them is almost impossible lol ...

But no really, having running boards especially AMPs or in my case the RBP stealths is just a life saver ... I have bad knees and they really do appreciate them ... my girlfriend loves them now after I had to convince her to let me get them lol .... and now my Mom can get in an out of the truck when she comes and visits from Arizona and she is only 4'9 maybe lol ...

G E T T H E M !!

NOV87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I had them on my 2017 when I bought it new but took them off after the first year. The truck looks cleaner without them to me and they were a pain to clean and wash the bottom of the truck. Still have them buried in the shed but don't think I will ever put them back on.
That was my first mod - to remove them. Sold them on craigslist within a week. To me, taking them off makes the truck look better than a leveling kit. Oh, and my wife actually liked them and wanted me to leave the truck as is, but she has her own vehicle to be concerned with...

Marine Les

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001/2018
Engine
5.9 cummins/3.6 Pentastar
My first mod was to put on chrome oval bars. Stops the edge of the seat being broken down when exiting, easier on my old knees, gives some protection from dings and they look good on my white 2018.

Seth Richards

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 l Hemi
First thing I bought for my Ram was running boards. I have the same reason as many. Wife hated climbing in the truck before I got them and my daughter complained of hurting her ankle getting out of the truck so I put them on and love having them. Even my 79 year old mother in law who doesn’t move so well said it is easier to get into my truck with the running boards than it was my SUV I traded for the truck. But I guess the boards and the “oh ****” handle (she likes having something to hold on to when she is climbing in) help her more than the vehicle being lower.

vess1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have them. I was given my Ram when my father passed. He put on a set that have lights when the unlock key fob is depresed. My Ram has been leveled on the lower side and they look pretty darn good. I had planned on taking them off when I got the truck leveled with it looks so good I decided to keep him on.

Pttrader

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you decide get running boards get them full length. They will give you better access to the bed and back of the cab. Every now and then I'll put something in the bed and later after driving around find it has moved somewhat and by standing up on the running board I can easily reach and grab it. I've never bought them myself, most of my trucks came with them...

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Side steps, running boards, mobile sidewalks whatever you want to call them are a necessity to some and a personal preference to others. I put them on my “03” when it was new. Would never be without them again. Saves the seat, door dings, rock chips on the lower portions of the doors. I happen to like the appearance of them but that’s also subject to truck color and other trim i.e. chrome, color matched or blacked out.

Its your truck and your money. Do what you want to do. Not what others think you should do.

I did not have on my 94, but then put on my 03 as well. Color matched and they blended right in. I have on my new truck now and second the savings to the body. Live on a dirt and rock road. When I got pavement and speed up, I hear all the rocks thrown off the tires hitting the underside of the steps and know I am saving my truck body.

Kabitz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
I'm older now and pretty much prefer them, Im 5'8" and my wife is 5'3". Could I do without them? probably, but I like the way they look and they serve a practical purpose.

sirguynate503

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The height mainly, I am short myself - a little hopping in wouldn't have bothered me. However, my wife is even shorter than I am - she said she didn't like the truck because she had to climb in it. I ordered some budget nerf bars and that solved the problem for her. Plus my grandma and grandpa can get into the truck without additional help as well.

One day when I get some extra change I am going to get the fold away nerf bars.

sirguynate503

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
When I first got the truck....my wife had difficulty getting in....then I unlocked and opened the door....she still struggled so I installed running boards. She seems a little happier but that won't last long. Hope she never wants to drive my RAM!

My wife was afraid to drive the Ram - she actually likes sub-compacts because there maneuverable, squeeze between traffic, and easy to park. She took the Ram to get tinted for me while I was at work, she complained that she didn't want to drive it. Anyhoo, I get home from work and... She liked it... and I quote "People get the f__k out of your way, I like it!" (Wife talks like a sailor!)

redvetram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar V6 3.7
39337889-C97D-4F34-AE9F-EFE820C702A6.jpeg 42761219-190F-43F4-ADC3-21A0505F31F3.jpeg I had boards on my old Ram but they didn’t come with the new one. I tried to live without them, but really missed them. solid running boards fill up with snow where I live, so I just installed a set of Westin 4” Wheel to Wheel Oval Nerf Bars. Here’s what I love....
1) short people can get in.
2) I don’t have to jump out of the truck onto an icy patch of pavement.
3) If I’m outside on the drivers side and want to grab something on the passenger side, I can step up and reach across without having to totally get in the truck.
4) ....the best convenience with the wheel to wheel is being able to step up and reach stuff in the front of the bed.

goldeneyee

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn/Longhorn Crew Cab
Engine
HEMI
1. You will ABSOLUTELY wear out the corner of your seat if you continue to slide on it. 2. If you want to stay married or in the alternative keep your girfriend they are a must. 3. They do, indeed, prevent door dings. 4. In my humble opinion they enhance the look of the truck. Now then, I purchased the 6" Stainless Steel variety off Ebay for $150.00 and they are fantastic---no complaints from the wife that they are too narrow. Just my 2 cents......Bill

duckman631

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7 K&N Cold Air Intake.
I like ‘em for all of the above reasons.

upload_2020-1-1_13-35-33.jpeg

Jerrybob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
First thing I bought for my Ram was running boards. I have the same reason as many. Wife hated climbing in the truck before I got them and my daughter complained of hurting her ankle getting out of the truck so I put them on and love having them. Even my 79 year old mother in law who doesn’t move so well said it is easier to get into my truck with the running boards than it was my SUV I traded for the truck. But I guess the boards and the “oh ****” handle (she likes having something to hold on to when she is climbing in) help her more than the vehicle being lower.
Mother in law???? I thought that's what the "bed" was for! That's why I bought my truck! LOL!

Last edited:

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
I have 4" oval wheel to wheel side steps on my 2500. They look great and are a must for my wife and I.

IRSmart

I drink and I know things
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
I hate them. I factory ordered my power wagon and specifically didn’t order them on, they make the truck look smaller. I had no plans on making my truck any bigger when I bought it. Well...two years later and I’m on a Thuren lift and 37’s and I still don’t regret my decision. I lift my ass a little when I get out to help save the leather. No wear spots after two years. I also got rock rails for the trail and special ordered them without the kick out because I hate the way they look.

FE41040F-3466-4794-8578-B91E021ADFB2.jpeg

C90FAA92-5821-46AF-AC06-8E08E395BC8D.jpeg

A4EC3A6A-5B1B-45D5-8B30-24E7E682FD2A.jpeg

Davidloveshishemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Classic
Engine
5.7 L Hemi
I bought my truck not even thinking about how high it sat. First time my wife climbed in, and I mean climbed in I got online and ordered running boards. I installed them in a couple of hours, no big deal and made all the difference.