Why can't I find any LED headlights for my 2023 Ram 1500 classic?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DASO1993

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 Hemi
I recently bought my 2023 Ram 1500 classic, I've been looking to upgrade my head Lights to LEDs because I drive on a dark highway here in Alberta every week. So for my safety I want to upgrade my headlights however for no apparent reason I cannot find headlights for my year old truck. Does anyone know why.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
A '23 Classic uses the same parts as a '18, the truck pretty much is unchanged.
Alpharex makes all LED lights, many members have and like headlights manufactured by them. The Nova and LUXX series are all LEDs and members have reported better light output than using LED bulbs in the Pro series which use halogen bulbs.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I recently bought my 2023 Ram 1500 classic, I've been looking to upgrade my head Lights to LEDs because I drive on a dark highway here in Alberta every week. So for my safety I want to upgrade my headlights however for no apparent reason I cannot find headlights for my year old truck. Does anyone know why.

Likely because many of the sites are clueless. Amazon is notorious for not being accurate when it comes to fitting aftermarket products especially LED headlights.

Read the bulb type off of your headlight enclosures and search for that part number.

20240131_204909.jpg

My Warlock Projectors indicate HB3 which translates to 9005. I used Fahren bulbs, they were straight plug n play with no additional changes and no grief.

The high beams are very much brighter than the halogen. The low beam are much better but not as noticeable as the high beams.

You would require 2 sets of these or 4 bulbs if your truck has the same projector lights as mine.

I was also looking at these;

Last edited:

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I was going to post a question on this, but I'll just jump on this thread.

Wife's '23 1500 Bighorn, Night edition. Why they didn't spring for the LED lighting upgrade when the dealer ordered it for the lot, I'll never know - it has so many other options on it that a lighting upgrade in a rural area seems like a no-brainer for how cheap the upgrade is from the factory (it's...expensive...to do yourself later, requires extra wiring harnesses, programming, etc.). She has trouble driving at night (her depth perception goes to almost zero), and these halogens are...well, garbage.

SO my question is, since she has the stock halogens, anyone know what the correct LED replacements would be for these? And her fog lamps? I haven't investigated her truck myself, I'm in the early stages of information gathering, but what's a good place to get LED bulbs besides Amazon (tried searching auto parts store websites and none of them seem to list LED bulbs)? I see above information about checking the housing enclosures, is there an easy way to cross-reference the housing p/n to the bulb p/n?

I've also heard that some LED bulbs need to be 'clocked' properly in the housings to keep the focus correct (saw this tidbit over on a Ford forum I follow for my FIL) - is this a problem on newer Rams/bulbs? Or are they pretty much plug-and-play if you get the right ones?

Like I said, I'm still in the early stages but given how TERRIBLE her lights are compared to my 2500 with the factory LED lighting upgrade, I need to do SOMETHING to help her situation.

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Wife's '23 1500 Bighorn, Night edition. Why they didn't spring for the LED lighting upgrade when the dealer ordered it for the lot, I'll never know - it has so many other options on it that a lighting upgrade in a rural area seems like a no-brainer for how cheap the upgrade is from the factory (it's...expensive...to do yourself later, requires extra wiring harnesses, programming, etc.). She has trouble driving at night (her depth perception goes to almost zero), and these halogens are...well, garbage.

SO my question is, since she has the stock halogens, anyone know what the correct LED replacements would be for these? And her fog lamps? I haven't investigated her truck myself, I'm in the early stages of information gathering, but what's a good place to get LED bulbs besides Amazon (tried searching auto parts store websites and none of them seem to list LED bulbs)? I see above information about checking the housing enclosures, is there an easy way to cross-reference the housing p/n to the bulb p/n?

I've also heard that some LED bulbs need to be 'clocked' properly in the housings to keep the focus correct (saw this tidbit over on a Ford forum I follow for my FIL) - is this a problem on newer Rams/bulbs? Or are they pretty much plug-and-play if you get the right ones?

Like I said, I'm still in the early stages but given how TERRIBLE her lights are compared to my 2500 with the factory LED lighting upgrade, I need to do SOMETHING to help her situation.

I’m assuming your wife’s truck is a 5th gen? If so I can’t be of much help as I have a 4th gen but I can tell you that a simple LED bulb upgrade in standard quad reflector housings made an enormous improvement for my old eyes. On dark rural roads the standard halogens were down right dangerous. I’ve been running LEDs since 2019 and highly recommend the upgrade. As for clocking the bulb, yes it’s an actual thing but if the 5th gens are anything like the 4th gens no clocking modifications are necessary. On mine I removed the old halogen bulbs and installed the LEDs till they hit the stop tabs and they were perfectly “clocked”. Hopefully the 5th gens are similar as clocking requires a special bulb that can be rotated or housing modifications, neither of which is a fun endeavor. Sadly Amazon is the best vendor for selection especially considering their price and liberal return policy. You could go with a company that specializes in automotive lighting at a premium price as their customer service would be better than scrolling through countless pages on Amazon. If you do decide to go the Amazon route I’d highly suggest the Farhen bulbs. They are very popular and offer exceptional quality for the price point, typically CAN bus ready without the need for resistors or AlfaOBD BCM changes.

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine
Likely because many of the sites are clueless. Amazon is notorious for not being accurate when it comes to fitting aftermarket products especially LED headlights.

Read the bulb type off of your headlight enclosures and search for that part number.

View attachment 537032

My Warlock Projectors indicate HB3 which translates to 9005. I used Fahren bulbs, they were straight plug n play with no additional changes and no grief.

The high beams are very much brighter than the halogen. The low beam are much better but not as noticeable as the high beams.

You would require 2 sets of these or 4 bulbs if your truck has the same projector lights as mine.

I was also looking at these;

My new 23' Warlock with projectors would be the same as yours, yes?

I want to upgrade to LED's in the High and Low beams as well.

Hard to fathom why the factory put those LED fogs as stock and put candle powered low beams in the projectors. I can barely see anything when driving at night with the low's on.

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I’m assuming your wife’s truck is a 5th gen? If so I can’t be of much help as I have a 4th gen but I can tell you that a simple LED bulb upgrade in standard quad reflector housings made an enormous improvement for my old eyes. On dark rural roads the standard halogens were down right dangerous. I’ve been running LEDs since 2019 and highly recommend the upgrade. As for clocking the bulb, yes it’s an actual thing but if the 5th gens are anything like the 4th gens no clocking modifications are necessary. On mine I removed the old halogen bulbs and installed the LEDs till they hit the stop tabs and they were perfectly “clocked”. Hopefully the 5th gens are similar as clocking requires a special bulb that can be rotated or housing modifications, neither of which is a fun endeavor. Sadly Amazon is the best vendor for selection especially considering their price and liberal return policy. You could go with a company that specializes in automotive lighting at a premium price as their customer service would be better than scrolling through countless pages on Amazon. If you do decide to go the Amazon route I’d highly suggest the Farhen bulbs. They are very popular and offer exceptional quality for the price point, typically CAN bus ready without the need for resistors or AlfaOBD BCM changes.

Yes, hers is not a Classic, hers is 5th gen 2023. Hoping someone with one will chime in.

I'll need the bulbs for the fogs as well, since those aren't LED on hers either.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

I chose the Fahren LED bulbs because of the numerous successful reviews here on the forum.
They're incredibly bright compared to the stock halogen and were, more or less, plug-and-play. Amazon is the least expensive with easy returns.

I would be selective about which Fahren or other bulbs you choose because they're not all the same size. I've noticed that some of the newer Fahren bulbs listed on Amazon don't show a measurement for the lower body section.

The size indicated on the bulbs I used was .9" and I wouldn't want them any larger. If you look at the Fahren bulbs on Amazon, there are two distinct types as far as the lower fan section is concerned, one of them is larger.

Space in the projector housings is limited, and too large of a bulb will limit the performance of the cooling fan and/or impair the installation of the back covers.

Fahren LED bulb size.jpg

Auxito bulb size.jpg

If you look at the links in my post above, check the pictures for each product and you will see the Fahren indicates a lower body measurement of .9" and the Auxito .7".

The Auxito bulb I linked above was another bulb that I saw numerous positive reviews on here. Although the Fahren bulbs are incredibly brighter than the halogen, I'd like my high beams to be a bit brighter. This opens another can of worms.

The Fahrens are sufficiently bright but I wear yellow lenses at night to reduce glare from oncoming vehicles. Without the yellow lenses on, I can see far down the highway, while wearing them, I'd like to see more. Hence, my interest in testing the Auxita at 15,000 lumens/bulb.

Another consideration while looking at LED bulbs on Amazon is the lumen output rating. They list the bulbs as a pair with the combined output for both bulbs. The Fahren bulbs linked above show 22,000 lumen or 11,000 lumens/bulb. The Auxito are shown as 30,000 lumens, or 15,000 lumens/bulb. I wouldn't buy anything lower than 10,000 lumens/bulb.

Clocking is very simple, I had to tweak 2 of mine. If you look at the collar on the bulb assembly, there's a tiny allen head screw, allen key is supplied. You loosen the allen head screw and rotate the base so that the sides of the bulb are aligned at 3 & 9 o'clock.

When clocked correctly, the wiring cord will be aligned at 6 or 12 o'clock when looking at the backside.

Last edited:

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My new 23' Warlock with projectors would be the same as yours, yes?

I want to upgrade to LED's in the High and Low beams as well.

Hard to fathom why the factory put those LED fogs as stock and put candle powered low beams in the projectors. I can barely see anything when driving at night with the low's on.

I would expect that they're the same if you have projector housings. If you look at the front of the housing at the lower edge, you will see HB3 which translates to 9005.

If I were buying a new truck again, I'd prefer to buy with Halogen lights because then LED bulb replacements are cheap. Try pricing an OEM LED headlight.

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine
I would expect that they're the same if you have projector housings. If you look at the front of the housing at the lower edge, you will see HB3 which translates to 9005.

If I were buying a new truck again, I'd prefer to buy with Halogen lights because then LED bulb replacements are cheap. Try pricing an OEM LED headlight.

Yep, standard OEM projector housings on my new Warlock.

I, too prefer the ability to upgrade to LED's (or HID's) for bulb replacement options as opposed to having to purchase a whole new headlight assembly because the non-serviceable headlight has failed LED's within its housing.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yep, standard OEM projector housings on my new Warlock.

I, too prefer the ability to upgrade to LED's (or HID's) for bulb replacement options as opposed to having to purchase a whole new headlight assembly because the non-serviceable headlight has failed LED's within its housing.

I think FCA is cashing in by selling unserviceable LED junk for outrageous prices.

The LED replacement bulbs I've been recently buying cost less than the Sylvania Halogens from 10 years ago, and we know they were complete crap.

I'm pretty happy with the Fahren bulbs I have installed, especially after fixing the driving lights (fog) dropout. Now I can see the ditches and treelines at night while using high beams.

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Alright so different question after looking at these bulbs - they all have fans on them. I presume they generate a decent amount of heat then? How do those fans react to winter weather and salt? I'd hate to buy them just to have them cut out or melt her headlight housings because the fans froze up.

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
Alright so different question after looking at these bulbs - they all have fans on them. I presume they generate a decent amount of heat then? How do those fans react to winter weather and salt? I'd hate to buy them just to have them cut out or melt her headlight housings because the fans froze up.

The heat is NO where near the heat of a halogen bulb. My LEDs fit behind the sealed cover.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

I can only comment on the use of these LED bulbs in my Ram truck although I have recently installed a set of Fahren H11s in a friend's Elantra GT and she is very pleased with the results.

I've used the Fahren 9005s for about 4 months now, including this past winter.

Both sets of bulbs seem to function fantastically, regardless of the low temperatures. I'd be more concerned about how they survive in high temperatures during the summer months, especially in the Southern states. I can't recall now but the warranty is 2 or 3 years after online registration.

The Fahren LED bulbs have an IP68 water resistance rating which specifies that they can survive complete submersion of up to 1.5 meters/~58" (in fresh water, not salt) for 30 minutes. I'm not certain I believe that but... that's the claim.

With the installation in the Ram and Elantra, the bulbs are protected by the headlight housings, I'm not comfortable with the idea of an installation where they're fully exposed or not inside a housing.

I would hope that the designers shared more than a few brain cells between them and included some sort of thermal shutdown to prevent potential fires and molten light housings.

This might be naive but I would expect that any basic safety certification would require that protection to be built-in. And, I haven't heard any horror stories yet. :cool:

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
^^^^^ I have had the same experience as RamDiver in the same vehicles. While I have quad reflectors in my Ram the LEDs made a huge difference. I’m so satisfied with the lighting I don’t even consider a aftermarket headlight upgrade. Way back when I did the upgrade Farhen was not available so I went with a company called TechMax because they offered a shorter unit that fit well in the high beam section allowing the dust cover to be used. After 16 months one of the bulbs failed so I contacted the company through Amazon and they never answered my message but sent a brand new set via Amazon three days later. Those LEDs are only 8000 lumens and they are good enough for my old eyes. My daughter has an Elantra GT with projectors and I upgraded hers to the Farhens. Her projectors were actually good but the LEDs made them even better. Even my other daughters 13 year old civic with horrible lighting saw a vast improvement with a set of Farhens.

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I can only comment on the use of these LED bulbs in my Ram truck although I have recently installed a set of Fahren H11s in a friend's Elantra GT and she is very pleased with the results.

I've used the Fahren 9005s for about 4 months now, including this past winter.

Both sets of bulbs seem to function fantastically, regardless of the low temperatures. I'd be more concerned about how they survive in high temperatures during the summer months, especially in the Southern states. I can't recall now but the warranty is 2 or 3 years after online registration.

The Fahren LED bulbs have an IP68 water resistance rating which specifies that they can survive complete submersion of up to 1.5 meters/~58" (in fresh water, not salt) for 30 minutes. I'm not certain I believe that but... that's the claim.

With the installation in the Ram and Elantra, the bulbs are protected by the headlight housings, I'm not comfortable with the idea of an installation where they're fully exposed or not inside a housing.

I would hope that the designers shared more than a few brain cells between them and included some sort of thermal shutdown to prevent potential fires and molten light housings.

This might be naive but I would expect that any basic safety certification would require that protection to be built-in. And, I haven't heard any horror stories yet. :cool:

Okay, thanks for the info. Again, I haven't investigated what it even looks like behind the housings, I'm just doing some preliminary info gathering.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Okay, thanks for the info. Again, I haven't investigated what it even looks like behind the housings, I'm just doing some preliminary info gathering.

You're most welcome.

If you search the forum, you will find a few reports of members trying other LED bulbs and experiencing flickering, intermittent off, bulb out notifications, and some couldn't fit the back cover on over the high beam bulb.

Some of the flickering, intermittent off, and bulb-out issues are known to be corrected by changing the light settings to HID using AlfaOBD.

Again, I made my choices because of the volume of positive reviews here and the many reports of plug-and-play. :cool:

kdoublep

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My 2020 BH came with the "hack"ogens. I replaced the bulbs with Lasfit His and lows and auxito Yello Fogs. I haven't had any issues since I replaced them 2 yrs ago. All I did was adjust my lights a bit lower.

Never been flashed. Doesn't quite compare to my wife's LEDs on her 2022 Teluride but way better than stock.

I also added 6 way Auxbeam Ditch lights for a little extra when I want to see them there deer on the shoulder.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I presume they generate a decent amount of heat then? How do those fans react to winter weather and salt?
The LEDs don't get as hot as halogens, in the winter time you find that the headlights will freeze over. I had a set of OPT7 on the fog lights for about two winters and didn't have any problems with the fans, ended up changing the fog housings

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357