Why Diesel Engines are More Fuel Efficient than Gasoline Engines

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
The closest to me: regular: $2.99/g
Diesel: $4.49/g.
A significant amount more.
That's not even close to "twice" the price. 50% higher would be much closer. And at that price, it's a break even deal for me compared to my gas 3/4 tons.

Diesel is high right now though. It was as close as 15 cents more locally a few months back. Crude oil prices have fallen a lot recently, so hopefully diesel will fall in line soon.

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
So, this isn't meant as a dig to anyone that owns one. But, why spend the money for a 2500 with a diesel when it just crushes payload and thus severely limits the trailer? Best answer I read here a few months back was that someone had a smaller trailer but towed in the mountains a great deal. If buying a diesel for the working capabilities it would seem logical to buy a 3500 at least.
Each has its place and it really depends on how you intend to use the truck. In my previous situation pulling a 16.5k fiver, a 3500 was the only route to take. Given that we now want to step down to a larger travel trailer, the 2500 diesel fits perfectly with our needs. The travel trailer we're looking at would max out the tongue weight on almost all 1/2 tons, but is way under what we need for a 3500. It's a perfect fit for a 2500. Also, I wanted a diesel so that I'm not fighting to pull a 32' travel trailer into a tight gas station to refuel. I can still pull up to the big rig fuel islands and have as much room as I need. :)

OP
OP
Goose55

Goose55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins High Output 6.7L
So, this isn't meant as a dig to anyone that owns one. But, why spend the money for a 2500 with a diesel when it just crushes payload and thus severely limits the trailer? Best answer I read here a few months back was that someone had a smaller trailer but towed in the mountains a great deal. If buying a diesel for the working capabilities it would seem logical to buy a 3500 at least.

Take, for example, the building of anything. It is always better to overbuild, than under-build. Put more concrete in the foundation, rather than less--use 2x6 framing rather than 2x4. Have a truck that can do anything asked of it, rather than less.

It also depends on the circumstances. When I bought my year end clearance new '19 3500 dually, in was January, 2020, the 31st to be exact. They had about 1/2 dozen "new" '19 duallys and this one was exactly as I like,bright white, with beige and mountain brown leather interior. It was marked down 10K off the sticker and because it was the last day of the month they took my offer of 5K under that. So, I got a brand new, fully equipped Laramie HO CTD, w/ the Aisin trans that is today selling for way over $90K (or more), for only $64K. I wasn't able to come up with the entire 64K but they gave me a 0% financing on the balance.

I would have been a fool to walk away from that deal. It was as if God was saying to me, "Look, you drove that little Toyota Taco into the ground for 23 years. This is My gift to you. You deserve it."

Cmz2800

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Where is the closest to me?

It looks like you are quoting the lowest price you can find on regular gasoline and the highest-priced diesel you can find. Shame shame.

A quick look at the fuel pricing in North Carolina shows this is exactly what you are doing. Have you ever considered a career in politics?
That’s nearest to me. Actually, if I go about 2 miles further I can get a 12 cent reduction at BJs. So maybe you should look in the mirror about a job in politics, bob.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Each has its place and it really depends on how you intend to use the truck. In my previous situation pulling a 16.5k fiver, a 3500 was the only route to take. Given that we now want to step down to a larger travel trailer, the 2500 diesel fits perfectly with our needs. The travel trailer we're looking at would max out the tongue weight on almost all 1/2 tons, but is way under what we need for a 3500. It's a perfect fit for a 2500. Also, I wanted a diesel so that I'm not fighting to pull a 32' travel trailer into a tight gas station to refuel. I can still pull up to the big rig fuel islands and have as much room as I need. :)
Yes, gas islands sometimes are a PITA.

Cmz2800

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Twice as much? In NC? C'mon now. And that's not even shopping around or using one of my multiple diesel fuel discounts!

View attachment 532042
Damn.. all those prices are actually relatively good. There’s usually a $1 difference between Regular & Diesel prices, though.

Longhorn1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Longhorn
Engine
Cummins SO
Rudolph Diesel DID invent the engine. His peer, Robert Bosch, was purported to be so jealous that He (Bosch) knocked Diesel off! Urban myth?
Yeah. I am currently reading "The Mysterious Case of Rudolph Diesel." Interesting book. Or maybe John Rockefeller or the chancellor of Germany had him killed. We'll see how the book ends...

rzr6-4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Back to the article, this reminds me of an old video where they say "you can tell this is an aspen tree by the way that it is", at least that is the feeling I get from the elementary level physics lessons and circular definitions they give. Rather poor writing I would say.

Due to a number of factors, largely the added weight of the power plant, **technically** they have a lower weight capacity. However, knowing what different vehicles are built for/capable of and not caring what the rating says, I would be much more comfortable putting a large load on a diesel than a gasser. 2500, 3500, doesn't really matter.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
If Gas is equal to Diesel
Why the heck don't all 18 wheelers don't have gas powered engines

The heavier the load & more often you haul or pull heavy loads the more the diesel engines stand out.

Richard B Taylor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Diesel
Wondering what "SniperDroid" means when he states that maintenance costs on diesel were a concern.

I do not notice a difference in maintenance chores or costs on my 2006 Ram 2500 2-wheel drive. What I do notice is the 600lb of torque taking me over mountain passes at 65mph and being able to accelerate to 75 while climbing at 7000ft with a 10,000# trailer. Never able to do that with a gasoline engine powered vehicle while towing.

I prefer a V8, but for towing, I suffer through with the diesel. When NOT towing, I get 30mpg at 55mph and 23mpg at 65mph.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
If Gas is equal to Diesel
Why the heck don't all 18 wheelers don't have gas powered engines

The heavier the load & more often you haul or pull heavy loads the more the diesel engines stand out.
Because semis are on the road 10 hours a day, 5 days a week, 52 weeks a year.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
Wondering what "SniperDroid" means when he states that maintenance costs on diesel were a concern.

I do not notice a difference in maintenance chores or costs on my 2006 Ram 2500 2-wheel drive.

I did when I had an F-250. Pre-DEF, but the heavier weight meant suspension components like ball joints needed replacing earlier, plus even doing my own oil changes were about 2.5x the cost of a gas equivalent. If that's relevant or not to a given person is up to them, but it was a more expensive vehicle all around for me.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Back to the article, this reminds me of an old video where they say "you can tell this is an aspen tree by the way that it is", at least that is the feeling I get from the elementary level physics lessons and circular definitions they give. Rather poor writing I would say.

Due to a number of factors, largely the added weight of the power plant, **technically** they have a lower weight capacity. However, knowing what different vehicles are built for/capable of and not caring what the rating says, I would be much more comfortable putting a large load on a diesel than a gasser. 2500, 3500, doesn't really matter.
Assuming most who get the diesel also get an extended cab and a bunch of optional items that greatly reduce their cargo capacity, I will pit my 2500 gasser against their 2500 diesel all day long in the cargo carrying category.

Mark47ak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4hemi
Although I'm happy to be getting pretty much the same MPG with my '14 5.7 QC gasser as I was getting in my '06 QC 4.0 V6 Tacoma - city, highway, and combined, I have no intention of disagreeing with the OP or the link.

No hate here. But Diesel trucks can be pretty spendy and I got a deal I could afford on my Hemi.
Even considering I have never towed with my truck I'm still seeing reports of certain Diesels getting substantially better MPG under all conditions.
DIESEL is 90 cents more

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
Assuming most who get the diesel also get an extended cab and a bunch of optional items that greatly reduce their cargo capacity, I will pit my 2500 gasser against their 2500 diesel all day long in the cargo carrying category.
Here's a test, and on topic for the thread.

My junk box 2018 diesel has a GVWR of 14k. Say I load it up to that 14k. Now take the same truck except it's a gas burning Hemi and load that upto the same 14k.
If we both left same place/time on the same path with a full tank of fuel of 32 gallons, who will go the farthest?

I already know the answer and I'm sure most of you do to.

SniperDroid

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Hundred dollar, or more oil changes, (don't say do it your self, I'm 68 and don't work on trucks anymore), Fuel filters, Fuel Treatment, Winter Fuel Treatment, Block Heating in winter, additional coolant filtering (iron castings are never properly cleaned out before assembly), EGR problems, DEF, "Hot No Start", and on, and on...

Having lived through all that, I will always say the best hauling truck I have ever owned was an F250 6.0L Diesel. It was also the most expensive to operate... The best OVERALL Truck I have ever owned is the one I have now. I just wish they would put the Hurricane in it, so I would have a reason to trade it in....

Again, it's just me... not everyone needs to agree or feel the same way. I learned a long time ago, it's my money and I can spend it any way I choose. I have to let you do the same thing.

Units

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Bighorn
Engine
6.7l Cummins
For me
Here's a test, and on topic for the thread.

My junk box 2018 diesel has a GVWR of 14k. Say I load it up to that 14k. Now take the same truck except it's a gas burning Hemi and load that upto the same 14k.
If we both left same place/time on the same path with a full tank of fuel of 32 gallons, who will go the farthest?

I already know the answer and I'm sure most of you do to.
but you would have more payload capacity out of the gasser vs the diesel…….