Why is there a Classic?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
The look of the 4th gen is the best, IMO. Even the other gen's from 1997 and up just look unique. Nothing else looks like them.

Now, I am not a fan of the 2008-2009 ~ models - the headlights look off, and on the Dakotas, the body looks more square-ish to me.

The 5th gen has lost a little something in the look of the body to me, almost like they were trying to look like other manufacturers' models.

That is why for me that the gen 4 stands out. You know what it is from a long way off - not even close to looking like anything else.

Now, if I had to buy a gen 5, I would take it over other makes, for sure. Just comparing Rams to Rams.

JMHO, YMMV

Socalramfan

Supporting Member
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Big Horn
Engine
Every successful model, regardless to manufacture, has a particular series/ generation that arguably is considered the Classic and best liked & known of that model. The iconic years if you will.

For Ram…… history will show it’s the 4th gen. :waytogo:

Lubeman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
For me, it came down to price and availability. Last October I changed jobs and no longer had a company vehicle. I bought a 2021 Classic quad cab with the Hemi, Chrome Plus package and Electronics package (8.4 touchscreen, upgraded EVIC and auto AC) new for just under $36K. Sticker was $39K. No GM or Ford dealers had anything comparable on the lot in that price range. I could've bought a basic Chevy Colorado with a 4 cylinder for a little less... no thanks! The Tradesman interior isn't quite as nice as I'd like but the seats are comfortable and the touchscreen with CarPlay makes it feel more modern. It's has the best acceleration and best ride of any pickup I've ever driven. I really don't care about having the newest or most loaded truck. Just a clean, comfortable and reliable truck. Hell, I would've bought it if it looked like a 1995 model as long as had modern power and technology!

Attachments

• IMG_0045.JPG
    IMG_0045.JPG
    130.8 KB · Views: 8

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
I prefer the looks of the 4th gen. I'm in a rental 2022 Classic on vacation now and I prefer it to the 5th Gen 1/2 tons I test drove. I like the seating position better, but will admit the interior is more spartan.

One thing I really like about the HD lineup is the 4.5 Gen thing, best of both worlds in many ways IMO.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I do like the 5th gens, in fact I've thought about trading mine in on one more than once. But there's just something about the 4th gens that look better IMO. The forward leaning front end and remnants from the 2nd gen "big rig" styling cues just combine into what I feel is the best looking truck out there. I think its just such a popular body style that people are drawn to it as an option for a new truck. Plus the lower price point compared to the 5th gens/other full size offerings you have a truck that still sells well, which is why Stellantis is still selling the 4th gens.

Perforator

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Last year I lost my company pickup, I needed a pickup to drive back and forth to West Texas, where it would sit for two weeks while I worked. I wanted a full size pickup at a reasonable price.

Ford? Nope. $33k was the base model price. Rather take a beating than drive GM.

Came down to price for me. Last November I found a ‘21 Classic QC, chrome plus, carpet and the V6 for $28,000 out the door. Brand new.
And I happen to like to looks as well.

For that money, you can get an extended cab base model Datsun Frontier…

I’m quite happy with the truck.

Truck Fun

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I stayed with the Classic for my 2021 because I could heated seats & steering wheel in a Tradesman package. Didn't want to get a higher level package with features that weren't needed or important to me. I also could get a grille guard that worked with tow hooks. I do prefer the looks of the 4th gen but the 5th gen has grown on me. If the 5th gen would have offered what I wanted, I would have gone with it.

Narg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 eTorque
GM did this a while back too, sold an older Silverado generation for a few years.

Freakydude

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
Ford has a great truck but.... its square and rather dull in appearance
GM has a good truck but again, painted brown it looks like a cardboard box, Tundra, Taco, Titan again they are all boxes with very little imagination to their appearance.
The Classic - well its like a good woman, a few curves in the right places and it works harder than a team of beavers getting ready for the winter. Some faults but they are easy fixes and now common knowledge.
Ram will electrify it and never stop selling it. Why just because it sells and sells alot.
Being an old design just means it was done right the first time. I mean look how long denim jeans have been here and will continue to be here. Should we stop wearing them cuz they haven't changed in 50 years?

Classic fan forever

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I enjoyed my 2019 classic hemi. Had to part with it because the interest was too high. Of course now I'm in a truck that cost $20,000 more. At first I didn't like the look of the new models and prefer the classic style, but now that I have this new gem, my thoughts have changed. Hope this truck goes the distance! Time will tell.....
Always thought having diesel would be a wise choice, but never could afford it. But as you can see in the picture, the dealer will do what it takes when it's the only truck on the lot!

Attachments

• 20221107_075638.jpg
    20221107_075638.jpg
    245.8 KB · Views: 13
  • 20221107_075554.jpg
    20221107_075554.jpg
    167.5 KB · Views: 13

RafaMexico

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Because I like the clean, classic body style with all the power and utility understated. 2021 Hemi, 8 spd, HD suspension, HD cooling, 8.4 Uconnect with nav, sat radio, trailer tow package, 4X4, crewcab, 20" wheels, "black" trim. 35 grand out the door (incl tax). But that's Mexico, in this market it is called the "Hemi Sport". Might have come out of the same plant in Saltillo yours did.

Attachments

• Ram 1.jpg
    Ram 1.jpg
    294.8 KB · Views: 5

JuniorRG

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI V8
Purchase my 2017 RAM 1500 4x4 Sports package 5.7 HEMI Crew Cab short bed back in 2018 with 1500 miles on it for $28,000. Went to Costco last week and outside the store they had on display a 2023 RAM 1500 V6 2x2 Crew Cab Classic short bed for $49000 here in California. My Ram has 70,000 miles now and I am being so tempted on purchasing the CLASSIC badges on EBAY just to keep up with the 2023 model

Last edited:

BuschLatte420

chill water by day, drink beer by night
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 classic tradesmen crew cab 6’4 box
Engine
5.7L NON E-TORQUE 3.92 gears 4x4
Picked up my factory order yesterday. Love the look of RCSB and the maneuverability is awesome. But from the get-go, the up and down buttons on the left side of the steering wheel don't work. I cannot cycle the EVIC. Going back to the dealership today. I feel RAM skimp on the build quality on the Classic somewhat, the fit and finish is not as good as my 2500 that came out of the same factory.

View attachment 506055
Any good success with your issues from dealer yet?

sjhdu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Any good success with your issues from dealer yet?

I later found out I have to hit the back arrow before it will allow me to use the up and down buttons to change the EVIC pages. Works differently than my 2500 which has the exact same control.

squadco343

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L
First, I'm not putting anyone's decision down here. I'm a big believer in live and let live. But I'm curious why someone would pick a brand new Classic over a brand new 5th gen. Are they cheaper? Folks like the older looks better?
You cannot get the 5th gen in a 2 door, only a four door. However the 4th gen does not offer the multi-functional tailgate, only the 5th gen does.

squadco343

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L
Less issues with the 4th gen. They have been time tested. Not so much with the 5th.
It's like Ford's Crown Vic, they had it down to a science as far as reliability goes. As with most good things, they stop manufacturing it.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I enjoyed my 2019 classic hemi. Had to part with it because the interest was too high. Of course now I'm in a truck that cost $20,000 more. At first I didn't like the look of the new models and prefer the classic style, but now that I have this new gem, my thoughts have changed. Hope this truck goes the distance! Time will tell.....
Always thought having diesel would be a wise choice, but never could afford it. But as you can see in the picture, the dealer will do what it takes when it's the only truck on the lot!
You have the best of both worlds with an HD. 4th gen exterior sheet metal, and 5th gen interior.