winch fail

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bcbouy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 power wagon
Engine
hemi
well, i finally got around to tensioning my winch cable on the P/W.pulled it all out,hooked a sn@tch block to the tree out front at the end of my driveway,slight icline.ran it through the block and back to the front towhook.started pulling in neutral,got about 10 feet in and it failed.i can wind it in and grab the rope and pull it out as it's retrieving.it goes in to the dealer on Aug.11.i'll get my first oil change and tire rotation while they got it.my oil changes are covered by my warranty.anyone else have a Warn winch fail right out of the gate?

jabartram

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
did you check your free spool handle on the left side of the winch to be sure its fully engaged?

SeppW

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Was truck idling? Thermal protection or low voltage interrupt could have activated, for some reason. Ground to motor. One of contractors failed or shorted (nder the black cover, sort of resemble old Ford style starter solenoids). Tap the motor with a hammer, could have sized up from something inside the motor case. I talked to Warn sometime ago about upgrading the solenoids to solid state or better mechanical type. The guy I talked advised the best course of action is spool out manually(free spool) and winch in once a month. Keeps everything lubricated and exercised.

OP
OP
bcbouy

bcbouy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 power wagon
Engine
hemi
my trucks and sidebyside always run while winching and the truck has dual alternators.i have no interest in running down the problem,it's under warranty.i'm just wondering if this has happened to anyone else.i wonder if the freespool lever let go and broke internally.it doesn't make a grinding,clunking, scraping sound when i spin the drum.i've never had a winch let go on me before and had to break it down so i have no idea what it could be.fortunate that it happened now rather than when i need it,and i will need it.

Keith67

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
That’s lousy. I’ve used mine many times in the mountains and it’s always worked well. Definitely smart to test it often and especially before you really need it. Please update this post after the dealer fixes it, I’m curious.

BigLazer4u

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
well, i finally got around to tensioning my winch cable on the P/W.pulled it all out,hooked a sn@tch block to the tree out front at the end of my driveway,slight icline.ran it through the block and back to the front towhook.started pulling in neutral,got about 10 feet in and it failed.i can wind it in and grab the rope and pull it out as it's retrieving.it goes in to the dealer on Aug.11.i'll get my first oil change and tire rotation while they got it.my oil changes are covered by my warranty.anyone else have a Warn winch fail right out of the gate?
Yes, mine went out and did the same thing as you describe. The winch had a mind of its own. Dealer replaced it. 2019 power wagon. I recently sold the truck, I loved it but the truck did have a lot of issues.

OP
OP
bcbouy

bcbouy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 power wagon
Engine
hemi
That’s lousy. I’ve used mine many times in the mountains and it’s always worked well. Definitely smart to test it often and especially before you really need it. Please update this post after the dealer fixes it, I’m curious.
due to my location,it's highly unlikely the dealer will repair the winch.more than likely they will order me a new one.

4xdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 powerwagon
Engine
mine failed the only 2 times I tried to use it corroded wires and bus bars none of that is sealed that well. the winch is a pain to remove and install get strong help

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Were are the control boxes mounted on the PW ?

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This is where it is mounted on my 16.

Make sense why they stop working. Easy enough to relocate under the hood.

My control box is up high by my air filter. Cost me 40$ in wiring to put it up there but well worth it to keep it out of the weather.

Attachments

• 20211017_145446.jpg
    20211017_145446.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:

crazy jerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
mine failed the only 2 times I tried to use it corroded wires and bus bars none of that is sealed that well. the winch is a pain to remove and install get strong help
what did you expect. its made in china crap like most everything warn puts their name on.
as for getting it out and in the truck. ya its a bit heavy but not complicated. i did it myself. floor jack helps

OP
OP
bcbouy

bcbouy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 power wagon
Engine
hemi
i finally got around to getting my p/w winch replaced.it completely seized at the worst possible time.i also had an oil temp/pressure sensor and a the thermostat/temp sensor replaced.just over 11k kilometers on it.