worst setup to change oil i have ever seen

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jimmyfjk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
i have owned many models and makes of trucks, cars and motorcycles over the years. i recently did my first oil change on 2021 ram rebel with the hemi 5.7L engine. My truck is four wheel drive. Never in all my experience have i seen such a ************* design by engineers when it comes to oil drain and filter replacement. What morons designed this setup? when you pull the drain plug oil shoots everywhere thanks to a torsion bar being right in line with the oil drain plug. I already knew by looking it would be an issue and setup a flow diverter to keep the mess from going everywhere but no, oil shot out and went everwhere but in the drain pan for the initial flow.
And the filter just dam, the front axle for the 4wd is right under the oil filter. There is no way to remove the filter without all its contents dumping right on the front axle and four wheel drive actuator. Such a **** poor design.
My last truck was a toyota tundra that was well laid out for self service. The more i mess with this truck the more i hate the peace of ****

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
Fumoto drain valve. Take your pick in design. The ones with a nipple end can have a hose installed and you can drain your oil into any container.

Side note: once you find the model number you want search on Amazon for a better price and free shipping if you have prime.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
No argument it is a very poor design. If you take and cut a washer fluid jug properly you can retain the handle to position it and put it under the filter to catch the oil and the filter. Keeps the oil from getting all over the axle.

This is a commercial version called Pig Form a Funnel. The washer jug is free, just cut length wise, contains all the oil

1640884698308.png

Last edited:

audiophile

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
When removing the oil filter, use a one gallon zip lock bag. Put it under and around the filter once loosened, and then remove the filter as normal. The bag will catch the majority of the oil, if not all and then seal and take to parts store foe recycle.
+1 on the drain valve.

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
When removing the oil filter, use a one gallon zip lock bag. Put it under and around the filter once loosened, and then remove the filter as normal. The bag will catch the majority of the oil, if not all and then seal and take to parts store foe recycle.
+1 on the drain valve.
I still got oil all over with the ziploc.

Right over top of the electric steering rack on my '15.

Dodge trucker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sounds like all the ford's I have to deal with at work.starting about 2018 models, They have a "cork screw" oil drain plug, and barely enough room to get it out with where they put it in relation to the sway bar that passes thru nearby.

Zoe Saldana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
i have owned many models and makes of trucks, cars and motorcycles over the years. i recently did my first oil change on 2021 ram rebel with the hemi 5.7L engine. My truck is four wheel drive. Never in all my experience have i seen such a ************* design by engineers when it comes to oil drain and filter replacement. What morons designed this setup? when you pull the drain plug oil shoots everywhere thanks to a torsion bar being right in line with the oil drain plug. I already knew by looking it would be an issue and setup a flow diverter to keep the mess from going everywhere but no, oil shot out and went everwhere but in the drain pan for the initial flow.
And the filter just dam, the front axle for the 4wd is right under the oil filter. There is no way to remove the filter without all its contents dumping right on the front axle and four wheel drive actuator. Such a **** poor design.
My last truck was a toyota tundra that was well laid out for self service. The more i mess with this truck the more i hate the peace of ****
The issue is that the funnel they have underneath the filter is a large rectangle. If it were a bit smaller round hole it would much easier to catch all the oil.

67440dodge

Military
Reaction score
Can always buy a oil filter relocation kit from Mr. Gasket or Earls and move it someplace else.. even get a dual filter setup if so inclined...

Mr G is a generic setup, where Earl's is designed specifially for the 5.7..

weldguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Engineers do not run the design groups. Accountants are really in charge. Do you really think a redesigned oil pan would be funded because the oil doesn't drain clearing all obstacles??? How do you know the redesigned oil pan wouldn't be causing a worse problem in another model?

Guy lIPSKY

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI etorque
On my 2017 i cut a house gutter leaving only 1/4" on the side fits in perfect , now at 70 years young i am not changing oil any more my new 2021 went in to Ice cold air for $30

copcarguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
This was one, if not THE major gripe I had with my ‘17 1500 Express: messy oil changes for no good reason lol. I remember also the first oil change the “factory installed” filter was put on at 10,000 lb./ft and took me over an hour trying to get it removed in that crappy location.

I am happy to say on my new 3500 hemi that Mopar has provided a “built in” funnel for the oil filter.

Attachments

• 763D2DEF-CF5B-419C-955B-FE0DACF5FC20.jpeg
    763D2DEF-CF5B-419C-955B-FE0DACF5FC20.jpeg
    108 KB · Views: 48

2012RAM1500RT

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Change oil on a honda odyssey or a acura mdx. Oil filter above passenger side lower control arm, but like everything else I just use a piece of cardboard as a funnel or guide to direct it into a pan. I have way bigger gripes about the way manufacture's design things.