Worth it to Repair?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cowboyhank

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 5.2l
Hi y'all, I'm the owner of a second gen '99 Ram 1500, V8 5.2l. I bought the truck used, 138k miles on it about a year ago, and haven't had a problem with it and love it. Owner took good care of it and gave me a damn good deal on it.

I've put only around 2,000 miles on it since I bought it, and I brought it to the local Chrysler dealer to get the oil changed and a comp. inspection, and got the list back of what was wrong:

Tranny pan is leaking; valve cover is leaking; rear main seal is leaking; transfer case output seal is leaking; rear diff is leaking; all tie rods are shot. The oil wasn't really low despite all this, so the oil leaks aren't too bad but I'm worried about the valve and main seal leaks.

So I'm just wondering if anybody can give a new truck owner any advice on what to do. I'd like to keep it, but I'm wondering if it's even worth it to try repairing? I'd like to repair what I can myself and then deal with the rest, but no idea if I should even try...

ohiogrown

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 CCSB, 2011 ccsb, 2012 5500, 2016 5500, 2017 ccsb wxpress
Engine
4.7, 4.7, 6.7, 6.7, 5.7
A 16 year old truck is going to have leaks, plain and simple. I bought my 98 5 years ago with similar mileage and issues. I threw a tranny pan on it, and drove the **** out of it for 5 hard years. If the oil isn't low, don't screw with the rear main or valve cover gaskets. They're probably not leaking, they just show 15 years of seepage. Keep your levels good, if It progresses, then consider it, but probably not even then. If the tranny pan is rusted out, replace it and move on, that's a $100 fix with fluid.
The front end issues would be my only real concern. I would take it to someone other than a dealer, get a second opinion and fix whatever it needs in that regard. From what you're describing I certainly don't see any reason to get rid of the truck.

usaf2006

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Really those aren't to horrible to do. Do some google searches on replacing those parts, put your mechanical ability account, and if you think you can do it, go for it! The truck sounds like it runs great, just needs a little love. The most difficult one will be the rear main seal, but its not impossible. If you like the truck and want to keep it, then do take care of it. It'll repay you in the end. My old 1995 5.9 lasted to 173 with regular maintenance.

zachl88

Reaction score
Well if this helps with your decision at all... I bought a 01 sport 4x4 from a friend of having some troubles. Knowing the truck needed work. I replaced the entire front end except for the axle itself. We love Madi and she's become part of the family. She's even in the background of one of our wedding photos. So my suggestion. Keep it and fix it up. Madi has become a family project.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
That's normal old truck stuff. Fix the driveline leaks and tie rods. Drive it for a while, then fix the engine oil leaks or leave them.
I bet the valve cover leaks can be fixed by simply tightening down the bolts.

Yah buy an old truck you had better expect to have to fix some stuff, gotta pay to play.

emjohn4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
All easy fixes if you're mechanically inclined.

Even the rear main seal. It's a 2-piece seal on that engine, you don't have to pull the trans to get to it.

After 15-16 years, seals leak. It's why older vehicles are cheaper than newer vehicles!

OP
OP
C

Cowboyhank

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 5.2l
Well hey, thanks a ton for all the input guys!

I'll keep it and get to work on fixing the tie rods and driveline leaks, and deal with everything else as I can. Hearing about you guys having trucks just as old and keeping them in good shape helps a lot and makes me positive I can keep mine going. I don't have much experience repairing but I think I can make do and learn a bit.

All easy fixes if you're mechanically inclined.

Even the rear main seal. It's a 2-piece seal on that engine, you don't have to pull the trans to get to it.

After 15-16 years, seals leak. It's why older vehicles are cheaper than newer vehicles!

I was worried about getting to the rear main seal, but you got me looking and I now see I really don't have to remove the trans. to get it! Thanks a bunch for the info!

slee4780

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 L 318 CID
I have a 2001 4x4 and I did my complete front end with all OEM and mopar parts and it cost me around 700. I love mine and will not get rid of it. uploadfromtaptalk1426875215738.jpg

Arlucian

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm not sure what these guys think about it but try putting lucas in your oil, i put a quart in at every oil change. I haven't noticed anything on this truck as far as leaks so i cant attest to whether it slows them down on our engines, but i put lucas in my 85 f150 and stopped/slowed a couple of leaks i had.

OP
OP
C

Cowboyhank

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 5.2l
If anybody is curious I'll try getting to the tie rods on Sunday and figuring out where the rear diff. is leaking from and getting that fixed. Figure it's either from a bad seal or a loose backplate but I'll try to find out Sun. Might as well try to replace the fluid in it too since I don't think the previous owner had it done for a while.

Post some pictures of the beast when you can! :)

For sure I will! I'll get some pictures posted sometime, even if it is a bit beatup.

I'm not sure what these guys think about it but try putting lucas in your oil, i put a quart in at every oil change. I haven't noticed anything on this truck as far as leaks so i cant attest to whether it slows them down on our engines, but i put lucas in my 85 f150 and stopped/slowed a couple of leaks i had.

I might try this out then. I don't leak much oil (only a quart low between changes) but if gets worse I sure will. Thanks for the tip!

2000Confederate

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 V8 Magnum
To be honest, it depends on your sentimental value to it. If you've only owned it for a few months, then I would personally sell it and buy another truck, as I can tell you right now, the cost of those repairs is another 2nd gen. Easily. However the choice is really yours to make.