Would you buy another Hemi - Poll?

Would you buy another Hemi?

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jackham

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
Always interesting to go through forums. It is a lot like my Adventure Rider readings. I have posted there before that some guys can buy an anvil and break it before they get home, and of course, its the company's fault.

So my F 150 2008 SC long box 4 wheel drive 3.5 ecoboost is now retired to being our ranch truck. It is a half ton heavy duty. Extraordinarily fast out of the whole. Towing my 12 foot enclosed trailer with two motorcycles and stuff it got 7-8 mpg if I just set it at 70 and left it. It was an XLT. I like it and still going strong at 200,000 miles but developed the tappet sound problem at startup. Doesn't hurt anything but annoying. It goes away in a few seconds. That is why Ford totally redesigned the 3.5 though they don't admit it.

Now my '19 RAM Laramie Longhorn ordered with all boxes except 22 inch wheels is a vast improvement. Way better ride and handling. The LED headlights are phenomenal. The hemi seems much smoother on the power spectrum and gets 12 mpg towing same trailer same speed. This is on the same route to Arizona each year. It is much much quieter. I got back into my Ford the other day and was simply amazed at how loud it was, and I thought it was pretty good when I got the new Laramie. Along with that quiet comes the fantastic sound system.

I have driven with too many guys who shift their truck back into drive when reversing before the truck fully stops and vice versa. Or they tach it out 0-60 each light, etc to know that it is no wonder some have so many issues. (They don't know how to drive but don't mention it).

However I saw the new loaded 2021 Ford F 150 and it is clear the RAM scared them into upping their game. Isn't competition grand?

tomb

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 bighorn-cherry red
Engine
5.7 HEMI
My HEMI is 8yrs old now and I still love it. I sometimes hear a tick for 3 or 4 seconds on start-up but that quickly goes away. After everything is up to temps it is very smooth sounding and frankly pretty quiet unless i throttle her up. I have felt zero loss in power from day 1. My Hemi is not as efficient as some numbers you owners post but it is the same as when I got it and alot of my driving is in traffic which really brings those numbers down. On the highway it does so much better numbers and only hits around 1500 revs doing 100kmph.. Hell, maybe I am driving around with most of the bolts broken and dont know it.

CYSTemrebel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7 liter
Hemi can blow the doors off GM and/or Ford any day relative to power. Have over 330,000 km = 206,000 miles. Same clutch and no major engine issues. Tows and carries huge weights all the time.

2008 2500 5.7 10W 30 synthetic oil...soon to go to 10W 40 on counsel of retired lifetime Dodge truck owner, race car driver and racing engine builder

Bill Copple

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have the 4.7 engine and just in case there are some here that don’t know: the 4.7 Magnum engine has hemispherical heads also. So...it is a hemi too though @ 310 HP not as strong, same basic design. Next time I would either go with the 5.7 hemi @ 395HP or the purported new turbocharged straight-6 with eBooster electric assist that may be able to produce up to 525 horsepower seems like a very desirable choice dependent on the fuel consumption specs. (When they release them)

ArmyGrunt66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Maybe I would buy another Dodge Ram 1500 short bed HEMI 4X4 truck, I’ve had my 2009 since new, have the Lifetime Powertrain Warranty too. No problems with about 77,000 miles on it so far, enough power when I need it, surprisingly quick for a 4X4 too, 3.92 gears probably are a reason. BTW this truck listed at $34200, I got it for $22000, the whole 2009 bankruptcy thing GM and Chrysler hooked me up, I saw almost this same truck at a dealership last year, 2019 model for $48000, that’s the why for my maybe in this survey. Later.

brny67

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I never thought I would own one, buy I am sold, this truck is 100%

T Jones

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yup. There's just something nostalgic about the rumble of a HEMI. I'd get another one for sure.

Jim113

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Longhorn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Absolutely ... I'm on my 3'rd 5.7 Hemi since 2013 ... Love the pick up and power ... I was a Chev guy prior, and prefer the 5.7 hemi over the 5.3 Vortec ...

buddy guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
With such an overwhelming number I wont go back and count people who can't vote, I'd assume those numbers would mirror these numbers as that is the law of statistical probability.

Generally shaping up

85% love the hemi

15% wouldn't buy another

I do wonder how that would stack up to other popular engines like the chevy 350 or the Ford 351 twins (c and w). I would wager the hemi has similar popularity as other popular engines, fca for the win. 15% dissatisfaction is no insignificant number, but I doubt that would be enough to get them to change anything.
We are on a Ram enthusiast forum so its not a surprise. Pretty normal response on other brand exclusive forums from what I've seen:)

Sent from my SM-N960W using Tapatalk

clint440

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
With such an overwhelming number I wont go back and count people who can't vote, I'd assume those numbers would mirror these numbers as that is the law of statistical probability.

Generally shaping up

85% love the hemi

15% wouldn't buy another

I do wonder how that would stack up to other popular engines like the chevy 350 or the Ford 351 twins (c and w). I would wager the hemi has similar popularity as other popular engines, fca for the win. 15% dissatisfaction is no insignificant number, but I doubt that would be enough to get them to change anything.

Probably less popular because those engines stock had half the HP. Modern manufacturing and advanced fuel injection has yielded motors that can run longer without a rebuild. Installing a new cam and lifters in a Hemi is probably cheaper than trying to get 400 hp and near 20mpg out of smogger engine.

Last edited:

MoPowered

Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Seems like someone needs to go and get themselves an eco tech, eco boost whatever Ford calls it in one of those ugly ass Raptor’s! Just sayin’.

Hookedup87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I know this may be a bit off topic, but, I am about to change over to 5w30 redline from 5w20 redline. Burla and others have me convinced this is a good move for the long term for my Hemi. Do you guys run that weight all year long, even through the winter months?

Fatbob Frank

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
I've had zero issues with any of the 3 Hemi's I've owned...
I like the power and LOVE the sound!
I might be interested in a 3.6L Pentastar if they ever supercharged or turboed it, but nothing sounds like a V8.
I know a Raptor owner with a super powerful 3.5 Ecoboost but all he does is complain about how it sounds...

Murphy Slaw

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Bighorn 4X4 Crew
Engine
I know this may be a bit off topic, but, I am about to change over to 5w30 redline from 5w20 redline. Burla and others have me convinced this is a good move for the long term for my Hemi. Do you guys run that weight all year long, even through the winter months?

If you're concerned, mix a few of each...

Mike Gauthier

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just totalled my dodge ram 2 weeks ago, I am sick to say the list. I babied my truck 2015 with 70,000 miles. As i am dealing with the insurance, i will buy me a used ram, as i cannot afford another car note right now. I have a loaded out 2019 Rebel that i bought in 2019. Now here is the catcher, if For would bring back the 351 or 400 reasonably priced, i might buy one. or chevy 6.0 LS. But for is bent on v-6 and chevy is overpriced, not to mention their trucks are ugly. They have not learned any lessons over the past and depend on their name. So, another hemi for me!!!

Lucy Girl

Military, Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
I love my V6 right now but have had Hemi’s and loved them and I would buy another. Super engine.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I think the 3.6 Pentastar is the better engine, strictly from an engineering, NVH, and longevity perspective (so everything other than raw power). What I would like to see, is the 3.6 with another 2 cylinders on the block, a pentastar v8 if you will.

Not terribly happy with the Hemi, exhaust note is great and it gets up and moves, but there is too much clacking, ticking, warping, and bolt snapping to ever call this thing even "moderately good". It's really poorly built IMHO.

I am trying to get rid of some noises in my hemi at this point, I've put Redline 5w-30 + Royal Purple filter in it, have driven about 300 km and I think some of the noise has gone down/away, but I'm still hearing other noises.

It literally wheezes between shifts, especially b/n 1-2 and 2-3 where the engine/exhaust is easy to hear above wind and road noise.

My previous 3.6 was smooth as butter, and some of these engines are racking up impressive mileage numbers. FCA can do it when they put their mind to it.

Truckit

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Longhorn Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have Hemi number 8 and number 9 now. Total kms driven is about 850,000. I have never had an issue with any of them other than manifold bolts on the 2012 when I traded at 163,000. I don't see a need for any engine other than a Hemi. My 2019 Limited is already over 80,000 and the 2020 Grand Cherokee 6.4 SRT is only about 5,000 kms. Hemi for the win!

rwhjr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Generally shaping up

85% love the hemi

15% wouldn't buy another

Lol I’m not hating but a poll on an enthusiast site for a particular brand is far from being statistically accurate from the start.

If you go to the ford site you’ll get love for that brand, and same if you went to a GM site....and so on and so on.

Have you been to other brand enthusiast sites? They have as much hate for the hemi as you’ll find love for it on here.

I voted no because of longevity concerns. But we’ll see how this truck treats me in the long run and I’ll decide then. If I have the least bit of lifter/cam trouble it’ll be the first and last Hemi I ever buy. If it’s a trouble free as all the Fords I’ve previously owned then I’d consider another in the future.

AKA your sample population is really biased.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Yes the sample is biased, I think that's not a problem though; we're trying to figure out "would you buy another hemi", kind of need to poll current owners for that.

Perhaps a more subtle issue is the wording (or options) in the poll. For example, I'd definitely buy another Ram again, and, depending on what engines are available I might get a Ram with the Hemi because I want/need the power. But I have no particular love for it, I'd buy a Ram despite the Hemi, not because of it.

So missing option: "Yes, If I had no other choice in my Ram but I prefer a different engine".