Yet another oil thread..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Neil Derryberry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Sorry..

I've got a 2016 2500, 6.4 hemi, 125k on the clock. All warranties are expired. While on warranty I did what FCA told me to and ran PUP 0W-40. I'm looking for an inexpensive alternative at the moment. The engine has never had hemi tick or any other issues. I also tend to turn MDS off with the shifter almost every time I drive. The truck has been in south Florida its entire life until now.. I'm back home in the Atlanta suburbs.

I've read of a few folks running Shell Rotella Gas 5w-30, but not many. I've also read of a few folks running Rotella T6 5W-40.. but also not many. I'd really like to find something that is a decent compromise that I can get off a local store shelf.

Any thoughts? TIA..

Bigseff23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I do the rotella t6 plus a bottle of STP oil booster, but I live in Florida so it's pretty hot all year round

Hydraplane

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If PUP is not in the picture I’d do any other big name 0W-40.
Mobile 1 or Valvoline are available at WM, I've run both with lower consumption than PUP. Gonna try PUP this next change to see if there has been any change...

wallacemf

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 4x4 Hemi 6.4
Considering that you have had zero issues with the engine, maybe the PUP has done a good job for you. Maybe it is best not to change now?

Understand it is expensive but sometimes it can be found on sale. Amazon also provides a discount with a subscription. It’s cheaper than changing oil brands and having engine issues. Just thinking out loud here....

Different Drummer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar V6
I am giving Rotella Gas Truck a try. Of course my engine is about 1/2 the size of yours! LOL
I have used the Rotella products in a diesel motorhome, an older ( 1988 ) one ton pickup, the little ladies car and even my BMW motorcycle. I have always been very pleased with them.
Having said that I would agree with wallacemf. PUP has gotten you this far without issues.
I did my oil change just last week and I am reasonably sure I saw PUP in WalMart for very close to the same price as Rotella Gas Truck which was at a decent price.

LeesEvoX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4l
Honestly.. at 125k miles. why would you want to NOW start cheaping out on oil? the stuff you have been using has got you this far without the lifter tick. Why risk it?

Its like what? $80-$90 bucks everything 3 or so months for an oil change?

jaflowers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
$80-$90 every 3 months? Holy $hit!

And I thought $160 for oil and fuel tilter changes once a year was bad.

For the 6.4 Hemi it's a change every 8K miles so strictly depends on your use. For me it's twice a year. My wife only puts on 6K a year so 1 oil change a year on the Durango.

OP
OP
N

Neil Derryberry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Honestly.. at 125k miles. why would you want to NOW start cheaping out on oil? the stuff you have been using has got you this far without the lifter tick. Why risk it?

Its like what? $80-$90 bucks everything 3 or so months for an oil change?

I got it at 90k.. so no clue what was done before me. It does run fine on PUP for sure, I'm just not sure that's the best bang for the buck. I'd like to figure out what that tipping point is. In my reading of others' posts here and elsewhere a healthy dose of moly might be what sets PUP apart from the other 0w-40 oils on the shelf. Rotella Gas Truck seems to have that albeit in a different weight, 5w-30.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
If you want to go fairly inexpensive maybe Amazon Basics 0W40 or QSUD 5W30 with a bottle of Lubeguard.

MDS in a 6.4?

Anyhow off brands that now carry dexos symbol are as good as any oil you will get off the shelf, I prefer Kirkland if you have costco card, and like TF said add lubegard to boost moly to the level of PUP 0w40. The issue is they only have 15w40 in house brand, so unless you mix might want to try amazon basics 0w40. They use a lot of boron and they do have moly as well, so imo this is a really good choice for a hemi, drop in a 6 dollar bottle of lubegard = even better. Being in a warm place, HM 10w30's are worth a look, Pennzoil makes a great one.

On amazon 65 bucks for this..
Pennzoil Platinum High Mileage Full Synthetic 10W-30 Motor Oil for Vehicles Over 75K Miles (5-Quart, Case of 3) 65/15 = 4 dollars a change per qrt for synthetic HM oil with high moly, I'm not sure it will get much better then this?

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
For the 6.4 Hemi it's a change every 8K miles so strictly depends on your use. For me it's twice a year. My wife only puts on 6K a year so 1 oil change a year on the Durango.

I put about 15k a year on mine which is the mileage it needs to be changed. Used oil analysis says I can go longer, but once a year is good enough for me.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi

Pat E

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 L
It is my understanding that using only 0W-40 weight is very important specifically because of the oil injectors for the piston cooling. 0W-40 with an API category of SN is the only approved oil for ALL conditions. Which oil to use, used to be a little bit of a guessing game, but not so much anymore.

Rabbit929

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 ETorque Hemi
Let me put it this way, I just several people with junkers who never change their oil. They just add.
Needless to say, I’ve also seen when you pry off the valve cover, and there is a valve cover underneath it. Made of thick mucky grime. 150k on the clock, no fresh oil since it was out of warrantee.

Use what you want in the correct weight. Hemi tick is caused by a flaw in the block design, causing poor lubrication to the cam and lifters at idle.
If you idle a lot rap it out a few times to lube up them lifters and drive it like you stole it. Pretty much any oil you use is better than not changing it at all, and this is why I like Napa gold. Cheap and effective. But for my vehicles, I treat them nicely because I care for them.. they treat me good so I give em AT LEAST valvoline or mobile 1.
But I can tell you I’ve never seen an engine failure because of cheap oil.
Only because of the wrong oil, or no oil at all.

NH RAM

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Tradesman 2500 Snow Chief
Engine
I put Mobil1 Euro blend 0w40 in because I found out that the dealer can't do the oil change without an appointment (came from a 1500 where I used the Express lane, so there were no issues with the small lift handling the truck weight). I looked around and nobody had the Pup in stock and the Mobil1 euro meets the API SN rating that the Pup 0w40 does, so I gave it a shot over being late on an oil change.

Last edited:

Jon1704

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummins
I run Castro’s edge 0w-40 in my 18 2500. No problems. $22 and change on Amazon. 5 qt jug.