Zip ties for bellows?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sig Schecter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I'm going to be replacing my inner tie rods this weekend. I have no idea what kind of shape the bellows are in and I doubt ill be able to get something shipped to me this quickly so I am either going to cross my fingers and hope they are in good shape or go to the dealer and pay the high price for new ones. If I don't go to the dealer then ill have to find a way to attach the bellows after the tie rod is swapped out. Can I use zip ties? Ive seen a couple YT videos where they used them but wanted your opinions.

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I'm going to be replacing my inner tie rods this weekend. I have no idea what kind of shape the bellows are in and I doubt ill be able to get something shipped to me this quickly so I am either going to cross my fingers and hope they are in good shape or go to the dealer and pay the high price for new ones. If I don't go to the dealer then ill have to find a way to attach the bellows after the tie rod is swapped out. Can I use zip ties? Ive seen a couple YT videos where they used them but wanted your opinions.
I use large, heavy duty zip ties all the time on bellows boots. They will hold up just fine.

OP
OP
Sig Schecter

Sig Schecter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I use large, heavy duty zip ties all the time on bellows boots. They will hold up just fine.

When you say large, heavy duty zip ties are you actually referring to a specific type or just the standard approx 1/4” wide ones you get at your local hardware store? I’ve only ever seen those or the real thick, white, “plenum rated” ones.
Am I over thinking it?

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
When you say large, heavy duty zip ties are you actually referring to a specific type or just the standard approx 1/4” wide ones you get at your local hardware store? I’ve only ever seen those or the real thick, white, “plenum rated” ones.
Am I over thinking it?
Most of my local hardware stores dont carry the zip ties that I use. I buy them from Home Depot in the area of the electricians tools. I also use the stainless exhaust wrap ties that you can buy from Oreillys or Auto Zone. They work really well if you have the tool to tighten them.

OP
OP
Sig Schecter

Sig Schecter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Most of my local hardware stores dont carry the zip ties that I use. I buy them from Home Depot in the area of the electricians tools. I also use the stainless exhaust wrap ties that you can buy from Oreillys or Auto Zone. They work really well if you have the tool to tighten them.

Gotcha thanks

alpinegreenneon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have re-used the originals. If you are careful, they can be gently pried open so they are not destroyed. There is a tool for re-tightening them.

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I have re-used the originals. If you are careful, they can be gently pried open so they are not destroyed. There is a tool for re-tightening them.
I made my own tool to crimp the bellows boots clamps. I took an old pair of side cutters/diagonal pliers and ground the cutting edges flat so they would not cut anymore. Then I welded a piece of ⅜" cold rolled steel bars to the handles that are 12" long to give better leverage. I made them 18 years ago and still use them to this day in the shop.

srv1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
345 c.i. HEMI MAGNUM
I reused my original ones by carefully taking them off and then I used a pair of tile nippers to re-crimp.holding strong for about 5 yrs now.

OP
OP
Sig Schecter

Sig Schecter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I reused my original ones by carefully taking them off and then I used a pair of tile nippers to re-crimp.holding strong for about 5 yrs now.

I was under the impression that you HAD to break them to get them off. Good to know I can manage it without breaking them.

srv1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
345 c.i. HEMI MAGNUM
I was under the impression that you HAD to break them to get them off. Good to know I can manage it without breaking them.
I was also wondering what I was going to do when I had to remove mine but I managed to be able to re use them.I really did not want to use zip ties but I suppose they would work well if you really have to use them.

OP
OP
Sig Schecter

Sig Schecter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I was also wondering what I was going to do when I had to remove mine but I managed to be able to re use them.I really did not want to use zip ties but I suppose they would work well if you really have to use them.

any tips on getting the back clamp off without breaking it? Does it go back on with ease?

srv1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
345 c.i. HEMI MAGNUM
i just used a very small screwdriver and caefully popped it open.went back on easy.