196,000 miles too many??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JasonC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hello- Newbie here. I need a Dually to tow my 20K fifth wheel camper. I am considering a 2018 3500 Tradesman (Aisin, 4.10s, rear auto level) that has 196,000 miles on it. It was bought new and used to tow car trailers for a hot shot business. The truck has been decently maintained, and is documented. I am not sure the trans has ever been serviced though. It may be original fluid. I test drove the truck and it drives great, you'd NEVER know it has that many miles. Trans shifts are quick and firm. I was considering a much newer truck with much lower miles, but you are talking $40K++ versus ~$20K for this truck. That is a lot of savings, assuming I won't need to put a lot of money in it. Thoughts?

I am considering having it inspected to check ball joints, tie rods...etc....

The truck is dry as a bone underneath, no leaks.

thanks

JohnnyMac

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500 Laramie
Engine
3.0 EcoBurner
I think if the inspection goes well, then just figure at some point you might need a new transmission and offer appropriately. I bought a truck (1990 GMC) when it was 10 years old and had 140k on it and it was an awesome truck. Previous owner took great care of it which appears the one you're looking at was and it never gave me a lick of trouble and ran like a top. I sold it 5 years later and in 2010 I saw it running around Kodiak Alaska. I stopped the guy and it was the same person I sold it to. He said it was the best truck he ever owned. If it's in good shape, I'd certainly consider it.

RVGuy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
How in the hell does someone manage to drive 196k miles in a 2018?
Hot shot vehicles pile on the highway miles. Around here most service the oil sector, they'll generally do 800+km/day working.

RVGuy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I wouldn't have an issue buying a truck with that many highway miles if it's maintained properly.
I'd rather own something high mileage that spent 90% of it's life cruising below 2000rpm than something low mileage that spends it's time in stop and go traffic with lots of off/on cycles.

KiloHotel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You didn't mention if this was gas or diesel

OP
OP
J

JasonC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Tt is a 3500 Cummins, with Aisin. I confirmed the trans has NEVER been serviced. Aisin calls for a service every 30K. Surprisingly the trans shifted great. I bet it is a ticking timebomb though.

RVGuy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Tt is a 3500 Cummins, with Aisin. I confirmed the trans has NEVER been serviced. Aisin calls for a service every 30K. Surprisingly the trans shifted great. I bet it is a ticking timebomb though.
I'd look at the fluid and go from there. There is a huge difference on wear on a trans flying down the highway never shifting for 100s of miles at a time vs driving in a city. Might not be that bad actually.

averageguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
Those hot shot trucks don’t make extra for going slow, taking their time, and being easy on their equipment. They also don’t make any money if they’re running around empty so chances are the majority of those miles are loaded miles and loaded with as many cars as you can fit on the trailer or whatever they were hauling.There’s a reason for the price difference between the $40,000 truck and a $20,000 truck. It’s only worth half as much because it’s got more miles and it’s older. So you’re going to be putting money in it sooner. It’s a personal decision if you want to deal with that or not. If it has ever seen salt it will be rusting sooner than the newer truck also.

Octane

Reaction score
I'd buy it and I drive for a living.A diesel with oil changes run a long time.I have a Volvo D13 in a tractor with 1.3 million miles on it with one tranny change and it's on the third clutch.Motor has never been opened. Diesels can be tough to wear out but expensive to maintain.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
The hotshot companies usually maintain their trucks well because they make a living with them and if you pay for a hotshot you can't afford to wait. However, there's a reason they sell them around that mileage. With the frequent towing and resource road use they take a pretty good beating and maintaining them to the standards they require gets costly after that.

46RamMan

U.S. Navy Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That's not many miles on a diesel and with mostly highway miles on the trans I would just buy it and change ALL fluids ( trans, diff, engine, engine coolants, brake fluids, etc...), and ALL filters and go on down the road...

OP
OP
J

JasonC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks all for the input. The other variable I didn't mention was I will most likely only keep this truck for 2-3 years, and I will only drive it around 8-10K per year. I plan to eventually downsize my camper, and at that point I won't need a Dually. I am concerned about resale as well.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
That's not many miles on a diesel and with mostly highway miles on the trans I would just buy it and change ALL fluids ( trans, diff, engine, engine coolants, brake fluids, etc...), and ALL filters and go on down the road...

Yes - however do not power flush the trans with that mileage and never serviced. Only touch it if the fluid still looks clean and red. If the fluid still looks good (and I'd be surprised if it is with nearly 200k on it) drop the pan, change the filter and put the pan back up, refill to full. If it's dark, pass on the truck or budget to spend 5-6k on a new trans at some point.

Personally I'd rather put that 6k towards a new truck but everyone is different

OP
OP
J

JasonC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes - however do not power flush the trans with that mileage and never serviced. Only touch it if the fluid still looks clean and red. If the fluid still looks good (and I'd be surprised if it is with nearly 200k on it) drop the pan, change the filter and put the pan back up, refill to full. If it's dark, pass on the truck or budget to spend 5-6k on a new trans at some point.

Personally I'd rather put that 6k towards a new truck but everyone is different

Thanks, I was going to bring this topic up next. I've always heard that you should not touch an automatic trans that has never been serviced and has high mileage. The argument is there is worn clutch material in the fluid. New fresh fluid could cause the clutches and bands to slip, thus sending you immediately to the transmission shop. If I move forward and look at the truck again I will certainly pull the trans dip stick to inspect.

I am still torn. This truck is still for sale and I don't think the seller has gotten any offers. She is asking 22,500. KBB says it is worth about 21K with the mileage. What if I could get the truck for 18K?

Thanks for all the comments and opinions. Hopefully I am not boring all of you.

madtrucker2016

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Go for it I would say.Just do your homework ,try to maybe get it for 17,500

Hemi_Don

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
360 Magnum
I bought a 1996 Ram 1500 recently with 180,000 and it is great. Uses about a quart of oil in 1500 miles. The problem I am having is the electric switches are failing but I replace them as they fail. I buy them on line. The headlight switch, now the ignition switch (these are known problems). This truck came out of Sacramento and doesn't look like it was off road in it's life. Good luck with whatever you buy !

Mitch1204

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins Diesel
hello- Newbie here. I need a Dually to tow my 20K fifth wheel camper. I am considering a 2018 3500 Tradesman (Aisin, 4.10s, rear auto level) that has 196,000 miles on it. It was bought new and used to tow car trailers for a hot shot business. The truck has been decently maintained, and is documented. I am not sure the trans has ever been serviced though. It may be original fluid. I test drove the truck and it drives great, you'd NEVER know it has that many miles. Trans shifts are quick and firm. I was considering a much newer truck with much lower miles, but you are talking $40K++ versus ~$20K for this truck. That is a lot of savings, assuming I won't need to put a lot of money in it. Thoughts?

I am considering having it inspected to check ball joints, tie rods...etc....

The truck is dry as a bone underneath, no leaks.

thanks

If it's a diesel you can expect 400,000+ miles with good maintenance. Highway miles is a plus. Like you said suspension, steering, brakes might need attention. Check the Kelly Blue Book to get a ballpark figure and even pull the Carfax for the history. I question why he is selling it. Most truck drivers will hold on to one four years. Maybe he just likes new.