2012 Ram 5.7L Replaced OCM but code still shows up after unhooking battery

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jlyalls

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey guys, I started getting a check engine light and had Autozone scan for me and it brought up certain codes that suggested the OCM (Oil control module) needed to be replaced. The truck has roughly 134,000 miles. So I removed the intake manifold and replaced the OCM with a newer one. You could definitley tell that the old one was damaged from the screen being torn out. After replacing I drove the truck about a day and then the check engine light showed up again. Went to autozone, and same codes. I have tried a few tricks by disconeccting the battery, making the pos and neg leads touch for a few hours and reconnecting. This method clears the check engine light, but only for about an hours worth of driving. It drives great when the check engine light is off, but as soon as the check engine light comes on, it starts running worse and hangs around in a certain gear more than others and wont switch. The suggestion from autozone said to replace the OCM and reprogram the PCM ( power control module) ....could this mean I need to take it to a dealer to reprogram the PCM? Just would like to know what you guys think...Thanks ahead of time!

-Josh

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Oil control module??

Did you replace the solenoid for the Variable Cam Timing or did you replace one of the MDS Solenoids?

OP
OP
jlyalls

jlyalls

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just replaced what they called the OCM or Oil control module. The autozone part I bought was called "Duralast Engine Variable Timing Solenoid"

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I just replaced what they called the OCM or Oil control module. The autozone part I bought was called "Duralast Engine Variable Timing Solenoid"
Okay. That's what I suspected. Do you have the print-out that shows what code is set?

OP
OP
jlyalls

jlyalls

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah here is what the print out from
Autozone says the error codes are.

P0016 Crankshaft Position - Camshaft position correlation - Bank 1 Sensor A

P0344 Camshaft Position Sensor A Circuit Intermittent (Bank 1 or single sensor)

P000B Engine Position System Performance Bank 2

ASE Certified master technicians have seen this issue on your type of vehicle in the most likely solution is replace all control valve and reprogram powertrain control module.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Do you know if all those codes are still currently active or just some of them. Usually the oil control valve is the cause especially if the screens have come apart.

Since there all correlation codes it’s possible the failed oil control valve has caused the actual cam sprocket to be stuck in one position. There could be blockage is the passages for the control valve. Either the cam/crank sensor could be faulty. The actual engine timing could be off as well.

OP
OP
jlyalls

jlyalls

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I bought a code reader over the weekend and now it is just showing the P0016 code. The scanner shows the description of the code as: Crankshaft position camshaft position correlation bank 1 sensor A.

Possible causes: Timing chain stretched or skipped a tooth due to wear.

Misalignment of timing belt/chain
Tone ring on crankshaft slipped/damaged
Faulty crank sensor
Faulty cam sensor
Faulty timing belt/chain tensioner.

I guess its time to take it to the dealership or a mechanic. Just concerned its going to cost an arm and a leg. I am always up to working on my own vehicles but I have never been as deep as the crankshaft.

OP
OP
jlyalls

jlyalls

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So, I took it to the dealership and they suggested changing the Oil and filter to OEM spec...which had me thinking...I don't think that is the problem, but maybe they know more than me. Considering I had just changed the oil when I changed out the oil control module, it had me me skeptical. I get the truck back and on the way home the same code is thrown again. I replaced all 16 spark plugs last night hoping that would make a difference since it has 134,000 miles and the plugs have never been changed out. Starting to think about trading...or finding a small mechanics shop.

OP
OP
jlyalls

jlyalls

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
UPDATE*** I decided to give a few more sensors a try and went with the cam shaft sensor first. I bought the aftermarket at Autozone for $13.99 and went home to replace it. It was very easy to change and did not take 5 minutes. I used my code scanner and cleared the codes as well. I have driven the Ram for over 100 miles now since changing this sensor out and the check engine light has not illuminated since replacing.

The truck is also driving much better. I just wanted to let you all know that this resolved my issue and hopefully this can help someone else in the future.

-Josh

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1Popeye