2013 Ram 1500 5.7 - Sale Price Advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

slowhand03

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello all,

I have a 2013 Ram 1500 5.7 with roughly 240,000 miles. Recently it started idling rough, misfire code p0303, low oil pressure at idle, smoke from exhaust (no coolant level loss, no milky oil, no overheating) and just running like dirt. I've done a few troubleshooting things but feel it's beyond my "to do at home" scope.

That to say, I'm going to list it for sale locally. The truck is in great condition! However, with the issues I described, what in your opinion would be a good and fair asking price?

Thanks!

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Take it to a CarMax and get an offer. That may be your best bet. Really hard to guess otherwise, look at local sales, do a price on KBB.com, suggest fair condition. Good luck

Ken226

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I did a quick KBB used truck value, using "Fair", as the condition I selected.

Considering that anyone who looks at buying it is going to assume the engine is bad, needing at least a cam/lifter replacement, it's age and mileage, you'll probably be looking @ or below the lower end of this range.

1716429958920.png

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Remove the snorkel and rubber hose to the throttle valve. Check the actual throttle valve for carbon/fuel deposits. Very likely it's got deposits in the throttle bore and blade which need to be cleaned up. It's routine maintenance. Clean the bore completely with some Throttle Body Cleaner and a solvent-safe angle brush which you can get at any parts store for like $2 ...like THIS. Clean on the backside of the blade too. Let the truck sit 10 minutes and go wash your hands...so the cleaner can evaporate before starting. Make sure when you put the boot on, the rubber doesn't get folded under itself ...which is easy to do. In fact if you had it looked at recently, maybe the mechanic mistakenly did just that (fold the rubber hose under itself when he put it on).

A failing temperature sensor can also do as you are describing. The sensor is telling the computer a reading (temperature) that isn't true and it might make the engine run 'rich'.

Other possibilities:

- Cracked vacuum hose
- Leaking engine vacuum somewhere
- Bad spark plug/coil etc
- Problem with fuel injection
- Bad cam
- Bad fuel...or water in fuel (although it usually doesn't blow 'black')

Last edited:

Ken226

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Even if it's the cam/lifters, it would be a lot cheaper to fix than to replace.

2k for a cam/lifter job, and she might go for another 100k miles.