2014 Radio Problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Flafiremedic81

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2014 Ram 1500 with a uConnect 5.0 system. A few days ago I started the truck and the radio, buttons, and knobs did not work and seemed to not have any power. When I started the truck it acted like the battery was low and it took longer than normal to start but since it has started fine. I have replaced the radio fuse and disconnected the battery and it still doesn't work. When driving the truck, the lights on the buttons and knobs will dimly flash every couple of minutes. Anybody have any other ideas on what to do?

Also, not sure if it is related but a few days before this happened the check engine light came on and when I had it scanned it showed a loss of connection with the body control module but the light reset itself after a couple of days and I haven't had any other problems.

Thanks in advance...

adurm

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RCSB
Engine
I would have the battery/alternator checked just in case.

Russell Alward

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have a 2014 Ram 1500 with a 8.4 screen. After 53000 miles the radio quit. I have not nav, radio, cameras, phone hookup. The cost for a new radio from Dodge is $2800. A rebuilt one is 860 but it takes two weeks to get one. I found one on line for $1200. Why would a radio go out in such a short time.

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2014 Ram 1500 with a 8.4 screen. After 53000 miles the radio quit. I have not nav, radio, cameras, phone hookup. The cost for a new radio from Dodge is $2800. A rebuilt one is 860 but it takes two weeks to get one. I found one on line for $1200. Why would a radio go out in such a short time.
Not sure where you are getting your prices from but you can easily pick up a used RA 4 radio off of eBay for $450 to $550. Contrary to what vendors would have you believe there is no special programming required to install a different radio in your truck and they do not lock it to your Vin #. The radio does that automatically on its own when you install it and enter the 4 digit unlock code which is easily obtained from the dealer or online. When you purchase your new radio if you decide to do so make sure it's out of a 13 to 17 Ram or Jeep Grand Cherokee and make sure the back of the radio says VP4 NA. You could also try doing a factory reset on your radio if you choose. There are several places on YouTube that show how to do it. You should also check to make sure you're radio is running the most current firmware which is 17.43.01. If is not running the latest firmware you can easily download it for free from the Uconnect website and update your radio. In many cases it's just a matter of the radio needing to be reset or having bad Firmware. Also beware many vendors that sell these radios 3rd party and claim that they are refurbished simply get them from the same wrecking yards, make sure they have no scratches, update them with the most current firmware that you can already get for free from the Uconnect website and then sell them online for 3 times the price.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

rotwiler

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 QC Outdoorsman
Engine
You can find used 8.4s pretty cheap, I upgraded my 13 8.4a to a 2015 8.4an, bought the 2015 radio for like $400. Not sure why I haven't put my 13 8.4a up for sale, was making sure new radio was good, but it's been 1 year plus, so I should post it.