2014 Ram 2500 RA4 Navigation issues - what to change to?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

70chall440

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
As the title says, I have a 2014 Ram 2500 with a RA4 Uconnect system, the nav lost its mind and is not working. It comes on and shows a vehicle icon and appears to be showing an area somewhere in the vicinity of where I am but is not remotely accurate. I took the truck to the dealer for the tailgate recall (finally) and had them check it out, their answer is to replace the radio/nav unit. They said that they tested the antenna and it is functional but the nav is not seeing the satellites, they believe it is a hardware failure.

So, after some interweb research I see this is not a unique problem and pretty much everything I have read says "replace the head unit". I have looked at a variety of aftermarket systems out there and I am trying to decide which way to go. I could just throw a Garmin up on the dash and call it good but I really would rather not. I realize that replacing the entire thing is not cheap but I can get some decent upgrades like Apple play (allows me to use google maps) and perhaps I can put in a front camera which I would like.

I could have my current unit repaired I guess but to be honest I am not sure if I trust that and since I would have to go in there anyway, might as well upgrade..

I will do all the work myself which isn't an issue but I am wondering what others are using and what issues others ran into.

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
As the title says, I have a 2014 Ram 2500 with a RA4 Uconnect system, the nav lost its mind and is not working. It comes on and shows a vehicle icon and appears to be showing an area somewhere in the vicinity of where I am but is not remotely accurate. I took the truck to the dealer for the tailgate recall (finally) and had them check it out, their answer is to replace the radio/nav unit. They said that they tested the antenna and it is functional but the nav is not seeing the satellites, they believe it is a hardware failure.

So, after some interweb research I see this is not a unique problem and pretty much everything I have read says "replace the head unit". I have looked at a variety of aftermarket systems out there and I am trying to decide which way to go. I could just throw a Garmin up on the dash and call it good but I really would rather not. I realize that replacing the entire thing is not cheap but I can get some decent upgrades like Apple play (allows me to use google maps) and perhaps I can put in a front camera which I would like.

I could have my current unit repaired I guess but to be honest I am not sure if I trust that and since I would have to go in there anyway, might as well upgrade..

I will do all the work myself which isn't an issue but I am wondering what others are using and what issues others ran into.
I would first test the antenna yourself with this cheap replacement...

If your SXM reception is bad, it would also point to a bad factory antenna or a bad factory connection between the radio and antenna. Replacing my antenna fixed my problem which I would gave described exactly like your issue.

OP
OP
70chall440

70chall440

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The antenna was tested and its good. The XM stuff works which I found interesting because I didn't have a current subscription but part of the service at the dealership they gave me a temp/free subscription and it works so I know its not the antenna.

I have been looking at a variety of systems, some just add apple car play and others like the infortainment system are complete systems; one is like $700 and the other is like $1600. That would seem like a no-brainers but I would like to add a front camera.

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
The antenna was tested and its good. The XM stuff works which I found interesting because I didn't have a current subscription but part of the service at the dealership they gave me a temp/free subscription and it works so I know its not the antenna.

I have been looking at a variety of systems, some just add apple car play and others like the infortainment system are complete systems; one is like $700 and the other is like $1600. That would seem like a no-brainers but I would like to add a front camera.
I don't recommend infotainment. You can replace yours with a salvaged unit for less and they suck as a company.

I know they said they tested it, but for $10 you can double check their work before spending a few hundred. If it "kinda" works it may get just enough signal to show you in the lake next to the road...

If you want to upgrade, everything you need to DIY is here and your old radio is probably worth something to someone even with faulty NAV...

Lanscop

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I’ve looked thru this thread and others but I don’t seem to find my issue so I am posting here.
my 2019 Ram has a 12 inch infotainment system and everything works fine except the navigation. I live in eastern PA and the navigation system is showing me as somewhere in Ohio. Can’t seem to clear it or change the location. Any suggestions?

Bigskyroadglide

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7, supercharged
IMHO, quit worrying about the nav unit, it's worthless. Just use your phone it's more accurate and convenient. Fixing the navigation just means you will need to fix it again