2014 Ram RC SWB 1500 4x4 Rebuild

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
MOPAR78

MOPAR78

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 4x4
Engine
Well this sucks!! I've had the warped exhaust manifold issue, both sides... One outie and 4 flush with the head. What's the best extrusion tool brand do you all use? I'm almost temped to re-gap the new motor and slap it in... But I really want that nasty sounding cam to go with the build.

I know I'll heed a 90* angle drill to get in there and some good bits to drill into those case harden exhaust bolts. Any and all recommendations are most appreciated!!

Thanks in Advance!

Broken exhaust bolt.jpg

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Well this sucks!! I've had the warped exhaust manifold issue, both sides... One outie and 4 flush with the head. What's the best extrusion tool brand do you all use? I'm almost temped to re-gap the new motor and slap it in... But I really want that nasty sounding cam to go with the build.

I know I'll heed a 90* angle drill to get in there and some good bits to drill into those case harden exhaust bolts. Any and all recommendations are most appreciated!!

Thanks in Advance!

View attachment 467313
Weld a nut and washer to it,if you don't have a welder,scrounge up a buddy with one,lol

OP
OP
MOPAR78

MOPAR78

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 4x4
Engine
Weld a nut and washer to it,if you don't have a welder,scrounge up a buddy with one,lol
Well, I would have never thought about that! Just watched several videos on this and it seems to work quite well. So far 2 out.

broken stud.jpg

OP
OP
MOPAR78

MOPAR78

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 4x4
Engine
The last broken stud was the one on the passenger side that holds the oil dipstick up top. 4+ hours later and after purchasing a angle drill with tips (wasted time and money), and going through several nuts... Success!! The passenger side is on and clearing with some minor adjustments on the transmission lines to get the clearance.

Last broken stud.jpg

OP
OP
MOPAR78

MOPAR78

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 4x4
Engine
Well that was one tough install!! Finally completed and sounds great!! Also install the **** for the AF sensor.

swi12.jpgswi11.jpgswi10.jpgswi9.jpgswi8.jpgswi7.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
MOPAR78

MOPAR78

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 4x4
Engine
Well after checking things out first thing this morning, I drove just under 100 miles and all was well! The Ram Screams!!

Enhanced Eddie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Well after checking things out first thing this morning, I drove just under 100 miles and all was well! The Ram Screams!!
Wow, this is an awesome thread. I just read it from the original post to the last, and what a journey!

I want to ask you something: what kind of oil and filter combo did you use on your engine that you made it to over 300,000 miles with it without any issues? And what OCI are you practicing? Thank you!

67 StingrayJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
What are your thoughts about the Drivers side exhaust dipping under the drivetrain like that? It's looks like it's going to get caught on something. Exhaust and Long tube headers are in my future.

And don't forget about Enchanted Eddie's question too! What oil / filter u using?

OP
OP
MOPAR78

MOPAR78

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 4x4
Engine
Wow, this is an awesome thread. I just read it from the original post to the last, and what a journey!

I want to ask you something: what kind of oil and filter combo did you use on your engine that you made it to over 300,000 miles with it without any issues? And what OCI are you practicing? Thank you!
Thanks!
I have always used Mobile 1 & the larger Mopar oil filters. I average around 15,000+/- on my OCI.Oil 317K.jpgoil.jpg

OP
OP
MOPAR78

MOPAR78

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 4x4
Engine
What are your thoughts about the Drivers side exhaust dipping under the drivetrain like that? It's looks like it's going to get caught on something. Exhaust and Long tube headers are in my future.

And don't forget about Enchanted Eddie's question too! What oil / filter u using?
It only about 1/2" lower than the front crossmember. It can be installed closer to the transmission but I chose to maximize the gap. I'm setting 2" higher than stock because of the 37" tires so I'm not to worried about it.

Thanks!

exhaust clearance3.jpgexhaust clearance2.jpgexhaust clearance.jpg

OP
OP
MOPAR78

MOPAR78

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 4x4
Engine
Awesome, Mobil 1 is still the best. The only thing better for enthusiasts I believe is Red Line Oil. What oil will you be running in your new engine?
I'll probably do some research on red line but will most likely stick with Mobile 1 although change the oil more frequently, 10k +/-.

Thanks!

Enhanced Eddie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I'll probably do some research on red line but will most likely stick with Mobile 1 although change the oil more frequently, 10k +/-.

Thanks!

With forced induction engines, you will encounter sheering due to additional heat and fuel dilution.

- Red Line Oil 5W-30 would be your best bet. The polyolester in it gives that oil affinity to metals, resulting in film strength. They also use mPAO instead of viscosity improvers, so this Red Line oil will not shear or leave you hanging, ever.

- Mobil 1 FS 5W-40 - it has a thickness of 10W-30 at cold temperatures (~80 cSt @ 40C), but it flows all the way down to -45C. I guess it's not a problem where you live. Mobil 1 came out with it to address the shearing issues of their FS 0W-40 oil.

- Mobil 1 FS 0W-40 is great for naturally aspired engines. The FS stands for Full SAPS, and in the context of Hemi engines, these oils are loaded with Anti Wear additives and Detergents and ZDDP. These oils are in the same class as Extended Performance, but Mobil 1 had to differentiate them somehow. Extended Performance and FS oils don't contain any Group III petroleum in them. They only use Group III+ (GTL), PAO, mPAO in the 5W-XX, and Group V (alkylated naphthalenes and esters) in these oils. That's why they are the best.

Still, Red Line 5W-30 gets my vote if the extra cost is not an issue.

As far as oil filters, the Royal Purple 20-820 and AMSOIL EAO11 are the same filters, manufactured by Champion Labs and using some high tech Donaldson filter media with spun micro-glass. FRAM XG2 or FS2 are also good options if you're in a pinch. It's light years ahead of Mopar or any other filters out there.

I hope I have saved you some research time. If not, please don't be upset with me for the unsolicited advice.

Your truck is gonna be a sweet, sweet ride when it's done!

Last edited:

67 StingrayJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Shout out on Mobil 1. My Papa had a Honda Goldwing with 200,000 miles on it. He pulled the heads a few winters back just to see how things were doing in there and the cylinder walls looked like they had ZERO wear. Normally you see some surface blemishes at the very least. Did he mic it... no. But it still held compression requirements in all 4 cylinders so he didn't feel the need.

I say stick with what you know.

Enhanced Eddie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Shout out on Mobil 1. My Papa had a Honda Goldwing with 200,000 miles on it. He pulled the heads a few winters back just to see how things were doing in there and the cylinder walls looked like they had ZERO wear. Normally you see some surface blemishes at the very least. Did he mic it... no. But it still held compression requirements in all 4 cylinders so he didn't feel the need.

I say stick with what you know.
Nice! Mobil 1 is top notch, their FS line of oils have even more detergents and additives than the EP line. Red Line is a step above Mobil 1 when it comes to high performance applications, that's all. Think of it as Mobil 1 racing oil that you can actually run in a daily driver. Unfortunately Mobil 1 racing oil is blended for racing, so it has very little detergents and a lot of anti wear additives.

OP
OP
MOPAR78

MOPAR78

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 4x4
Engine
@MOPAR78 Did you order the 8HP70 or 8HP90 for your truck?
I have not ordered it yet but I do have an extra 8HP70 with less 30,000 miles on it in the garage. I bought it for a core or back up if needed until I have the funds for it. I'm planning on going back with the 8HP70 & a slightly higher stall from Hellraiser Transmissions if things go my way. I'm hoping the original trans will hold up with 317,000+ miles on it.

OP
OP
MOPAR78

MOPAR78

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 4x4
Engine
One stage of the install that I worked around was the removal of the oil dipstick. It involved unbolting the engine & transmission on the drivers side to raise the motor to get to one bolt down low on the dipstick. After looking closer, it looked like it would be very difficult and time consuming. I reshaped the bends on the dipstick while still connected at the lower bolt . The upper bolt was one of the 4 bolts that broke from manifold warp. After carefully reshaping the dipstick, I was able to get the clearance needed and was able to rework the upper connection to bolt to the strut support. The dipstick goes completely around the outside of the header.

Bottom line it's a difficult task but rewarding knowing I made it.

Dipstick 2.jpgDipstick.jpg

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thoffmann517