2016 ram 1500 5.7 pcm connector stuck on?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TonyMM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 RAM 1500 CC 6"4 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am exactly in the same position
Removed my unlocked PCM to go to the dealership for my last warranty inspection and broke the red clip
The only way I could keep the connector on was to push it on and completely remove the two slide tabs
I’m going to try on sliding them both back in from the bottom
Only going to try when I’ve got extra Mouser part on hand
Just installed long tubes, with no codes, can’t wait for a custom tune
Watching to see what you come up with..

Why not just put the Diablo PCM back to the stock tune?
Less stress than switching the PCM IMHO.

6speed4.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Why not just put the Diablo PCM back to the stock tune?
Less stress than switching the PCM IMHO.

I getcha, not sure if I can have the dealership flash over the stock tune with any updates on the unlocked PCM
I am going to talk with Diablo or my tuner to see if that’s acceptable.... maybe you know the answer?
Unfortunately I was totally aware of how fragile these connectors are and I still broke one...
Regardless, I think Tach_techs method of the compressed air/penetrating oil will be part of the process in the future

Btbaker22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I got them off!! So I found that the plastic sliders really take a lot of pressure to push down, much more than the plastic red tabs will do before breaking.

I sprayed penetrating fluid and slowly worked the sliders down with a small screwdriver. As the sliders move downward, they also push the connector away from the PCM. So they don’t just lock them, they also disconnect them from the PCM. This must be why so much force is needed, and the plastic tabs can’t handle it.

Installed the Diablo Pulsar tuner, and holy $hit!!! The throttle response and shifting in performance mode wakes up that hemi. Super stoked by the performance.

To install the connectors without the red tabs, I just used the screwdriver and pushed the sliders back into place. Clipped the black covers back on, and all was good.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I don't have a dog in this hunt--yet---but IMHO a couple of you guys need to send Tac_tech a case of beer or two for the advice. He is always spot on with his advice and always willing to help.
Jay

Adam Swiech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
file attached

Attachments

• NG_CD_1924779_B-607809.pdf
    236.8 KB · Views: 45
  • ENG_CD_1924939_C9.pdf
    1.8 MB · Views: 29
  • NG_CD_1924779_B-607809.pdf
    236.8 KB · Views: 24

Adam Swiech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Today I ran into the same issue sol. My pulsar just arrived as excited as I was trying to remove the harness from the ECM the stupid red lever broke on me.I'm running out of patience, can't disconnect the harness from my ECM.... now what

Triumphx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The red locking levers are ********, i usually just remove them. Next blow the locking channels with air. Remove 3 bolts securing ecm. Very carefully use a small hammer and flat head to push the locking tabs down.

Devildog8791

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I'm running into this problem now. I am still waiting for the swap PCM, so I'm not going to try and take them off again until I get the PCM (probably next weekend). I did spray some penetrating oil in them and sprayed them out with compressed air. I also ordered some new covers in case I end up messing up the ones that are on there now.

kidmandudebro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hey Devildog8791, did you order the covers through the Ram dealership? Semper Fi!

Same here i live in Connecticut. I had one that came off easily the other one nearest engine wont budge. I tried and the red lever just wont unlock the green and blue mechanism.

I was thinking of doing what was mentioned above.

I too ordered replacement covers from Mouser. I will try again Saturday, but I'm afraid to break **** some of this stuff is pretty brittle. Ok to spray a little wD40 on the sides where i can see the blue and green lock thing. Then i spray it out with air too.

Ugh or i can tell dealer to do it and make sure they are not frozen on the PCM and tell them i was trying to clean up the PCM it looked all oxidized. Etc. or just do it myself. I assume as long as I dont damage the PCM itself everything else is easily replaceable.

Any updates from above lets bump this up. Its a great thread. I juts might try the hammer and small flat head to push down the locking tabs. My red lever just bulges out when trying to flip up and seems like its stripping because the tabs on sides are frozen in locked position.

spacex

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Bringing up an old thread… search button is your friend!

Quick question - I don’t have WD40 on hand but I do have fluid film. Am I good? Or should I pick up wd40?

Stripped one of these bad boys clean off trying to install the pulsar. Ordered 2 to be safe. thanks!

Cyberlunacy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I just had the exact same thing and good lord sweet baby jesus was it a nightmare to get off.
Did the air
Did the pennetrating oil (this was the main trick.
Used a pick tool after breaking the red bar clamps and mm by mm i pryed the slide lock rail down and got the plugs removed.
Sprayed a little more oil on the slide rails then used die electric grease to grease up the outside of the reciptical on the unlocked pcm.
Then pushed the wire harness back on then from the bottom of the slide locking rail, with the pick tool i locked the slide rails onto the little nipples of the receptical and am backing up the pcm/tcm and flashing when thats done then sending the files off to sean.

bbylove_35

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi 1500
The 2 locating tabs popped out of the bottom part of the connector. Happens a lot and it’s a pain in the ass. You’ll notice the 2 slide tabs haven’t moved, they’re blue and green I believe.

Chances are there’s dirt/grime in the slide tabs channels. Line and compressed air will clean it out. Put the red roll lock back to the locked position and insert the top part of the connector back into the bottom. Making sure to slide the 2 locating tabs in first. Then rock the red roll lock back and forth to free the slide tabs.
heres a good video to watch about the sliding lock tabs and the red lever if it breaks.
thought id put this here for anyone to see, thanks!
<iframe width="696" height="391" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/A9mQrJrQC7c" title="How to replace or fix a car computer PCM connector. Dodge Grand Caravan Chrysler Town and Country." frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>

bbylove_35

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi 1500
I am exactly in the same position
Removed my unlocked PCM to go to the dealership for my last warranty inspection and broke the red clip
The only way I could keep the connector on was to push it on and completely remove the two slide tabs
I’m going to try on sliding them both back in from the bottom
Only going to try when I’ve got extra Mouser part on hand
Just installed long tubes, with no codes, can’t wait for a custom tune
Watching to see what you come up with..
heres a good video to watch about the sliding lock tabs and the red lever if it breaks.
thought id put this here for anyone to see, thanks!
<iframe width="696" height="391" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/A9mQrJrQC7c" title="How to replace or fix a car computer PCM connector. Dodge Grand Caravan Chrysler Town and Country." frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Averia

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This happened to me the right side is done for the plastic tab on the top is gone and the lever just falls off. Too cold to work on it now will try the screwdriver trick and I ordered 4 new levers jic. Doesn't seem like the cover offers really any protection. Seems like a sturdy tool could be made to remove by attaching to the bottom and top of the PCM and depressing both the blue and green sides simultaneously - a sliding clamp with properly spaced teeth would work.