How do I remove this stuck nut on battery connector?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

4xdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 powerwagon
Engine
You would shoot sparks and hot metal all over your engine bay and paint

4xdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 powerwagon
Engine
Good job young man when wrenching try not to take it too seriously. Take your time and think about the problem. Old farts like me all had to learn too. Tip never try to weld on a hydraulic tank ask me how I know lol. There is a reason we have osha now. But nobody but you can keep yourself safe. Don’t do dumb stuff. Want a laugh search shake hands with danger on y YouTube

4xdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 powerwagon
Engine
What truck 2wd 4x4 for a young fella the best one is the one you can afford. Stay away from the big rims thin tires if you’re in an area where you get potholes. The sidewalls of tires is part of the suspension. Your first line of defence against suspension damage

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Finally got it! Thank u to everyone that shared ideas, helped, or just made jokes.
If you loosen the nut,and use a screwdriver in the clamp slit,and open up the slit a bit more,you'll be able to push the clamp on the post farther,then tighten the nut,you'll have a better connection . A battery post is tapered so the farther down the post you can get the clamp,the better off you'll usually be.

OP
OP
SugaryClapz

SugaryClapz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you loosen the nut,and use a screwdriver in the clamp slit,and open up the slit a bit more,you'll be able to push the clamp on the post farther,then tighten the nut,you'll have a better connection . A battery post is tapered so the farther down the post you can get the clamp,the better off you'll usually be.
Ok, I will do that in the morning.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah no sparks or flames of any sort. It’ was a joke. Wouldn’t think you would have to point out the totally obvious but….
WELL: That's why there are "warning" stickers on everything. Coff cup: "May be Hot", DUH !!! I hate how they have dumbed down coffee makers now. Even 1 cup Keurig: Friggin Coffee never "hot". I end up putting my cup in Microwave for 52 seconds to get a Hot cup of Coffee. All the byproduct of dumbed down stuff and BS suits over stuff.

REMEMBER: EVERYTHING U read on Internet gotta be right, correct, 100% true. Why if I am joking, I always state with emoji afterward, not wanna get caught up in stuff, just the PC world of 2023, IMHO.......

DA BOIRD

army turk1.JPG

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Finally got it! Thank u to everyone that shared ideas, helped, or just made jokes.
WaHoo. Give dat man a Cigar, maybe bag of jelly beans (Ronald Reagan).

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
TIRES, mine are getting close to bald so I opened a new thread of which tire to get for year round (snow is on the ground right now).
INSTEAD of OPENING up another tire thread, do a lil search/research, there are a Whole bunch of threads with great info available to U in forum.

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Seriously though op those bolts are really pretty soft so you should be able to use a set of vide grips and a socket to just twist it in half. As a heavy equipment operator and an avid 4wheeler I have seen lots of battery’s blow up. That’s one of the reasons an age battery is better but they are spendy. Always disconnect the cables any spark can cause an explosion. Some of the older guys probably picked up on the grinder thing. I am just a smarta$$ old fart trying to be funny.
A.G.M. (Absorbent Glass Mat) batteries have been my friend in instances where I have my truck sit for weeks/ months at a time. In a daily driver, maybe not worth the super high additional cost. Moreover, AGM batteries have their own unique requirement for charge state maintenance, and are not compatible with some OBD2 computer controlled charging systems. This I know from professional experience! Tread carefully!

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
I am not going to read all the posts,
But all you have to do to change a battery is loosen the nut a couple of turns and wiggle the terminal a bit ang pull it off
No reason to take the nut off the bolt

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
I see people talking about nut crackers
Really, I have never used one in all the yrs I have worked on stuff
A one off job?
Go buy a hack saw and a good quality metal blade, you can use that for lots of stuff

Hard part will be holding the cable while cutting
You should be able to get that nut to thread back down , easy if it was off the truck, a anvel and hammer

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am not going to read all the posts,
But all you have to do to change a battery is loosen the nut a couple of turns and wiggle the terminal a bit ang pull it off
No reason to take the nut off the bolt

Rest easy, the OP solved his dilemma... somehow.

Last edited:

acasey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I was trying to replace the battery today when the last step was putting on the battery connectors and the negative connector bolt had a stuck nut on the end that would not come off at all. I was wondering what would be the easiest way to get the nut off of the bolt or remove the bolt and nut and replace them?
Why are you trying to remove the end nut from the post, It's not necessary. Take a screw driver and pry between both ends of the clamp and spread them apart a little to remove the post. Replace the battery and tighten the bold up and your done.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 outdoorsman
Engine
5.7 hemi
I was trying to replace the battery today when the last step was putting on the battery connectors and the negative connector bolt had a stuck nut on the end that would not come off at all. I was wondering what would be the easiest way to get the nut off of the bolt or remove the bolt and nut and replace them?
just put a small standard screw driver between the gap and spread the connector alittle

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OasisNinjaBat