30000 mile 30k service @ dealership = $1000

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BlueRT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Or if you're really hungry for in depth information on maintaining and servicing your truck the shop service manual is available on CD for the low price of an arm and leg amputation!

81-370-14075-CD

2014 Ram Truck 1500 Service Information CD (English)
Product Id: 81-370-14075-CD
Product Dimensions: 0.2500 in x 5.0000 in x 5.0000 in
Product Weight: 0.0900 lb
Availability: In Stock

Price: $134.99

Quantity:

 Add to cart

Product Description

This CD in NOT compatible with MAC operating systems. Only Windows operating systems and Internet Explorer are supported.This comprehensive service information provides the resource that the professional technician needs to diagnose/troubleshoot, maintain, service, and repair a Chrysler Group vehicle in a web-like format. A complete working knowledge of the vehicle, system and/or components is written in straightforward language with illustrations, diagrams and charts.The information is specific to a vehicle(s) and includes: Repair procedures that highlight step-by-step removal and installation instructions for vehicle components and include line art drawings to aid in component service Diagnostic procedures to aid in the diagnosis of electrical and mechanical systems, DTCs, and symptom-based concerns IT DOES NOT CONTAIN THE TRADITIONAL WIRING DIAGRAM INFORMATION It does contain the wiring information relavent to a diagnostic trouble code (DTC) in the diagnostic procedure for the specific DTC.

KarL45

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram Express quad cab 4x4
Engine
5.7 MDS
Just had my last pre paid service from the dealer. That was engine and oil filter only. At almost 25k, and going to tow heavy through Can. and AK this summer had the rear diff and trans fluid and filter (s) changed. the cost, about $200 tax included. Hard to see where the 1k comes from unless it's the spark plugs, which was earlier stated, recommended change 100k. Unless you are operating under "severe" conditions there is no need for most of that. Interesting note, when talking with Service Writer prior to the service, was asked weather I wanted "just the fluid" or fluid and filters changed on the trans. ????? Se stated that Ram recommended only changing the fluid up until about 60k and not the filters. Charge for service between the two, "the same". YES, I want them both changed and there are 2 internal filters to change. I also did request that I got the old filters back. Wanted to examine them for wear particles. That said, there was very little wear and the fluid that drained from the canister filter was still clean and smelled fresh. Good to know after pulling heavy for about 12k.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Or if you're really hungry for in depth information on maintaining and servicing your truck the shop service manual is available on CD for the low price of an arm and leg amputation!

81-370-14075-CD

2014 Ram Truck 1500 Service Information CD (English)
Product Id: 81-370-14075-CD
Product Dimensions: 0.2500 in x 5.0000 in x 5.0000 in
Product Weight: 0.0900 lb
Availability: In Stock

Price: $134.99

Quantity:

 Add to cart

Product Description

This CD in NOT compatible with MAC operating systems. Only Windows operating systems and Internet Explorer are supported.This comprehensive service information provides the resource that the professional technician needs to diagnose/troubleshoot, maintain, service, and repair a Chrysler Group vehicle in a web-like format. A complete working knowledge of the vehicle, system and/or components is written in straightforward language with illustrations, diagrams and charts.The information is specific to a vehicle(s) and includes: Repair procedures that highlight step-by-step removal and installation instructions for vehicle components and include line art drawings to aid in component service Diagnostic procedures to aid in the diagnosis of electrical and mechanical systems, DTCs, and symptom-based concerns IT DOES NOT CONTAIN THE TRADITIONAL WIRING DIAGRAM INFORMATION It does contain the wiring information relavent to a diagnostic trouble code (DTC) in the diagnostic procedure for the specific DTC.
Wow ! I didn't know that was even available to the consumer .. I think it's a bit pricy but worth it , imo , wish it had vehicle spacific electrical schematics!

Sir , do you know how I could get a vin # spacific electrical schematics book of my truck ?

BlueRT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
https://www.techauthority.com/en-us/products/81-370-14075-CD Why yes, yes you can! FCA will be glad to sell you any and all documentation pertaining to your truck. On this web site you can purchase a TON of service and repair documentation including the shop service manual and another CD with all the wiring schematics. On the upper left of the first page they are all listed to click on.

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Just got off the phone with local Dodge dealership here. They took care of 4 recalls my truck had. He wants me to pay him $1000 for the 30k service. It consists of swapping out Front and Rear diff fluid, Transfer case fluid, alignment, air filter and a few other things, I think.
My question is can I do it myself or should I let them do it? I'm about to drop $2k on tires, Ranchos, OEM LSD, and would really not like to make that number $3k. I also want to buy several of Moe's suspension goodies to firm up the suspension with that extra money.

2014 Ram 1500 Quad Cab 4X4 5.7L

Thanks for any help you guys can lend.
Check your manual it says change tranny fluid and inspect all the others--not replace at 30K. At 32K you replace the spark plugs and inspect/ adjust tie rod ends.

Unless your fluids are spoiled, you have a dishonest dealer. Jiffy Lube can change all those fluids for much less.

Funny thing, I have pre-paid maintenance and at 30 & 32K miles all my liquids except tranny and oil were just fine--go figure?!

These are the same clowns that still put a 3,000 mile oil change reminder in the windshield when the interval is 7K (or when IVIC nags you).

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

Chris. lerma

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks for all the Info.

Check your manual it says change tranny fluid and inspect all the others--not replace at 30K. At 32K you replace the spark plugs and inspect/ adjust tie rod ends.

Unless your fluids are spoiled, you have a dishonest dealer. Jiffy Lube can change all those fluids for much less.

Funny thing, I have pre-paid maintenance and at 30 & 32K miles all my liquids except tranny and oil were just fine--go figure?!

These are the same clowns that still put a 3,000 mile oil change reminder in the windshield when the interval is 7K (or when IVIC nags you).

Thanks to everyone who helped out. I do think I'll be doing some of the "suggested" services when I put on the bigger tires and new suspension pieces. It would be a perfect time to knock all that stuff out. If I would have kept the stock tires on I probably wouldn't bother. But my reasoning is it couldn't hurt since I do have my moments of spirited driving, and they probably will become more frequent moving forward. It's probably the best thing I can do to keep the truck in tip top, except for driving it like a prius :sleepy10:

As for the dealership, I posted a 2star google review warning anyone of the over the top service recommendations. It may help the less knowledgeable.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks to everyone who helped out. I do think I'll be doing some of the "suggested" services when I put on the bigger tires and new suspension pieces. It would be a perfect time to knock all that stuff out. If I would have kept the stock tires on I probably wouldn't bother. But my reasoning is it couldn't hurt since I do have my moments of spirited driving, and they probably will become more frequent moving forward. It's probably the best thing I can do to keep the truck in tip top, except for driving it like a prius :sleepy10:

As for the dealership, I posted a 2star google review warning anyone of the over the top service recommendations. It may help the less knowledgeable.
Drive it like you want , just do your own maintenance , that way you know it's done correctly and you'll have a since of PRIDE about it .... and if something goes wrong you know who to blame without question and you'll be more confident in the repairs BECAUSE you did the service initially .

Just my .02

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Here are the things I can remember him telling me.
Front diff fluid swap
Rear diff fluid swap
Transfer case fluid swap
Air Filter change
Brake fluid swap
Steering fluid swap

I asked what the Diffs and transfer case service would cost if thats all I had done, $399. :flipthebird:

Which of these things are actually needed?
I can agree with the brake fluid needing to get swapped I suppose.
LOL ! Power steering fluid ?
You have a sealed electronic steering actuator, no fluid at all !

BlueRT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sounds like the writer was reading from a list of services created by the service dept. called a "menu". Can't hardly do that anymore as the required factory schedule maintenance between different models in the same vehicle lineup has to many differences. Plus the factory schedule maintenance is always being changed/tweaked every model year now. BUSTED!

arod412

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Did my first ever 32k mile spark plug change. It's just a bear to do all together. It took me 3 1/2 hours to do. I really took my time with the process.

I did enjoy the process of doing it, but damn, ram didn't make it easy to get to those rear plugs. I could even get in there and torque them to specs. Just tighten them by hand, and maybe 1/2 turn after that.

Other than that, I'm glad I saved some $$ but man...next time I might get the dealer to do it for me. It comes down to time vs money. Today, I had time.

Truck name: Rampage

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Did my first ever 32k mile spark plug change. It's just a bear to do all together. It took me 3 1/2 hours to do. I really took my time with the process.

I did enjoy the process of doing it, but damn, ram didn't make it easy to get to those rear plugs. I could even get in there and torque them to specs. Just tighten them by hand, and maybe 1/2 turn after that.

Other than that, I'm glad I saved some $$ but man...next time I might get the dealer to do it for me. It comes down to time vs money. Today, I had time.

What's the tq of the plugs Sir ?

arod412

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I believe it's 13ft pounds or 120 inches...but it seems like it's a little too tight. So I tighten them up as much as I can by hand, the about 1 full turn (maybe a little less)after that for me with the wrench.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I believe it's 13ft pounds or 120 inches...but it seems like it's a little too tight. So I tighten them up as much as I can by hand, the about 1 full turn (maybe a little less)after that for me with the wrench.

Thanks , I've never actually looked up the tq , I've always done similar to you , hand tight + approx 3/4 -1 turn