5th wheel hitch install RamBox

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
But where are all these numbers in your head coming from. All the sticker has on it are capacities. I don't see anything there that says I have overloaded anything. Where are the rest of the numbers?
I've owned and worked on enough 1500's to know your numbers are not capable of towing a 5th wheel. Math + Experience.

Your Limited E-Torque would be lucky to have a payload of 1500 lbs.

Randy Grant

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
And you know my truck and trailer because you are clairvoyant.
OK, I'll byte. What are the winning numbers of the next Powerball?

20IndyRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel

Nice label. I have a 2020 limited. My Gross Ratings label is shown below. My GVWR is 300 lbs more than your truck.

The second label shows the payload. The label is directly adjacent to the Gross Ratings label on my truck. The payload of interest is "THE COMBINED WEIGHT OF OCCUPANTS AND CARGO SHOULD NEVER EXCEED 455 KG OR 1004 LB".

Please note that "CARGO" includes 5th wheel receivers and pin weights.

I'd call that rather definitive. If I put 5 people and a sack lunch in my truck I'm at load limit. Please do NOT attempt to explain why you think you can LEGALLY add a 1500lb 5th wheel to yours.

Attachments

• IMG_20240525_071700982_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240525_071700982_HDR.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_20240525_071709761.jpg
    IMG_20240525_071709761.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 15

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Nice label. I have a 2020 limited. My Gross Ratings label is shown below. My GVWR is 300 lbs more than your truck.

The second label shows the payload. The label is directly adjacent to the Gross Ratings label on my truck. The payload of interest is "THE COMBINED WEIGHT OF OCCUPANTS AND CARGO SHOULD NEVER EXCEED 455 KG OR 1004 LB".

I'd call that rather definitive. If I put 5 people and a sack lunch in my truck I'm at load limit. Please do NOT attempt to explain why you think you can LEGALLY add a 1500lb 5th wheel to yours.
I'm in agreement with you, but as a non-commercial operator there is no "legally" anything involved here as there is no law that says you can't overload it. Although that issue may come up if you get in an accident. It's just a horrible idea to do it.

Last edited:

Randy Grant

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

You might think about getting better tires:33:

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Not really. The sticker clearly shows that your stock tires are your limiting factor.
Actually, the limiting factor is cargo capacity. You cannot increase it by any means whatsoever. Not with different tires, not with air bags, not with a WDH, not with anything. It is the absolute maximum you can safely carry in or on your truck.

20IndyRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
I'm in agreement with you, but as a non-commercial operator there is no "legally" anything involved here as there is no law that says you can't overload it. Although that issue may come up if you get in an accident. It's just a horrible idea to do it.
You're right. The legalities only come into play when he's in court after killing someone.

20IndyRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
You might think about getting better tires:33:
I'm rather happy with the Falken Wildpeak A/T's. They've worn well and ride decently. I'll probably get the same tires when the time comes. At 2535lbs Max load per tire they are already well above either of my (or your) axle ratings. I don't see the point in jumping to a load range E tire - I don't plan on overloading the truck.

Last edited:

Randy Grant

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm rather happy with the Falken Wildpeak A/T's. They've worn well and ride decently. I'll probably get the same tires when the time comes. At 2680lbs Max load per tire they are already well above either of my (or your) axle ratings. I don't see the point in jumping to a load range E tire - I don't plan on overloading the truck.
If your not running stock tires, then why use that number for "never exceed". If the tires are capable of the load, then the GVWR is your number to not exceed. But then, you have never exceeded a speed limit either, right?

Randy Grant

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Actually, the limiting factor is cargo capacity. You cannot increase it by any means whatsoever. Not with different tires, not with air bags, not with a WDH, not with anything. It is the absolute maximum you can safely carry in or on your truck.
Reread his post:emotions34:

20IndyRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
If your not running stock tires, then why use that number for "never exceed". If the tires are capable of the load, then the GVWR is your number to not exceed. But then, you have never exceeded a speed limit either, right?
One last time...

Truck is bone stock with Falken Wildpeak A/T3's 113T's as the label specified. Max load is 2535lbs / tire (i corrected my typo above). At 5070 lbs combined, the rear tires are still rated 970 lbs above my rear axle (4100 lbs).

As others have already pointed out, the load rated is determined by the GVWR and curb weight.

GVWR - Curb Weight = Payload
For my truck that's
7300 lb - 6296 lb = 1004 lbs MAX payload.

What are your #'s?

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Reread his post:emotions34:
I did - nothing in Post #44 that tells me what his tire load capabilities are. He did provide that information in Post #s 52 and 55, but that was after I commented.

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD

It's not the tires that are the limiting factor - they almost NEVER are the limiting factor when it comes to weight in a 1500, or any half ton truck.

It is ALMOST ALWAYS the springs/frame/axles.

You've got a RAWR of 4100 lbs, and it's NOT your tires that are dictating this. It's the weight of the truck (including all options) versus the axle/springs/frame. I don't know how many ways we can put it out there.

I've been a part of this discussion here and on other forums, and the consensus among those who look at and understand the numbers is that there are VERY FEW half-ton trucks that can pull a VERY FEW number of fifth wheels and not be over payload/axle weight ratings depending on which number is more important to you. Most of those half-ton trucks are unicorns with some kind of max payload package and very few, if any, options. Most of those fifth wheels are less than 28 ft in length and MIGHT have one slide. Pretty much any other combination and you're outside what the truck was designed to do, and you're not running safe.

For other people's sake, I hope you're never in an accident, because there's a good chance you're going to ruin their life. You don't have a truck that can handle the extra weight of a fifth wheel but insist that you can do it. And sure you can, until you can't.

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
He's absolutely trolling everyone. It's just not possible to be that unaware or non-chalant. He's getting his kicks out of spinning people up. Stop feeding the troll.