6.4 hemi Lifter failure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

crackerjack1957

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport 1500 CC 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7...65RFE...4.56
So something caused lifter guide failure since it looks like the roller was at 90 deg to the cam....
Go above cam photo & look at lifter....looks like roller is pushed down compared to good lifter.
Also with worn roller is worn sides of frame of lifter which is facing correct way...if lifter rotated 90 degrees the frame of the lifter would have been worn in that direction.
Looks like roller bearings or pin attaching roller to lifter is failing for some reason.
Bad assembly, machined tolerances or oil lubrication.
https://www.ramforum.com/posts/1914392/

46436820_1717699105001335_8142614542690549760_n-jpg.151486

Last edited:

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
46456270_1718927904878455_5982879908500602880_n.jpg
Go above cam photo & look at lifter....looks like roller is pushed down compared to good lifter.
Also with worn roller is worn sides of frame of lifter which is facing correct way...if lifter rotated 90 degrees the frame of the lifter would have been worn in that direction.
Looks like roller bearings or pin attaching roller to lifter is failing for some reason.
Bad assembly, machined tolerances or oil lubrication.
https://www.ramforum.com/posts/1914392/

46436820_1717699105001335_8142614542690549760_n-jpg.151486
The cam is worn in a half circle pattern. The only way that could have happened is if the lifter spun sideways. If it stayed lined up as the guide was designed to do the cam would still been wiped out but it would be flat not curved.

Musky Mike

Reaction score
Ram Year
View attachment 151556
The cam is worn in a half circle pattern. The only way that could have happened is if the lifter spun sideways. If it stayed lined up as the guide was designed to do the cam would still been wiped out but it would be flat not curved.
If you look at the lifter, you can see the chamfer (worn from contacting the cam lobe) on outside, bottom of the U that holds the roller that matches the profile cut into the cam when the lifter turned roughly 90 degrees on the cam lobe.

crackerjack1957

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport 1500 CC 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7...65RFE...4.56
View attachment 151556
Now that I think about it you are probably right......chamfers worn on lifter could have been cause in the 90 degree rotation also.....looks like it make have spun back in the correct location by the square wear marks on cam but roller already damaged so dig in that way also.
That's what I get for trying to think late at night....LoL

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Now that I think about it you are probably right......chamfers worn on lifter could have been cause in the 90 degree rotation also.....looks like it make have spun back in the correct location by the square wear marks on cam but roller already damaged so dig in that way also.
That's what I get for trying to think late at night....LoL
Nothing a few beers won't fix..that usually works for me...:D

OP
OP
Dynamic Towing

Dynamic Towing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 , 2014
Engine
Hemi 6.4
That black carbonized oil between the cam lobes [emoji848][emoji848] looks like a higher thermal compatible oil may suit you better with your particular use of your truck with high idle times at high temps especially with a splash lubed camshaft .

Hope this helps !

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
I have tried other oil weights and I get a check engine code with in a week

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have tried other oil weights and I get a check engine code with in a week
Not necessarily a different weight oil but a different type that's more thermally stable , on that operates better at prolonged higher oil temperatures .

joshuaeb09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Not necessarily a different weight oil but a different type that's more thermally stable , on that operates better at prolonged higher oil temperatures .

This. One could argue the PUP SRT 0W40 would be better than Mobile 1 in the Hemi, but there are other options out there that would also work. In the bulk purchase space on could argue something like the Primrose 5W40 would work with it's high PAO content and the presence of ZDDP. There's some of the Castrol formulations that contain high PAO content like the A3/B4 spec oil. There's of course the Redline, but yea it's going to be priced higher than one would like for fleet usage. You could add an ester/moly supplement to the Mobil like Lubeguard BioTech or some of the others out there. Plenty of ways to add some added protection the Hemi's seem to require.

http://www.primrose.com/Prod_detail.php?ID=84
http://www.primrose.com/images/DataSheets/sds/791.pdf

Kap1

Ex Ram 1500 2013 owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Tundra
Engine
3.5 vvti
One of the options is to buy factory Mopar extended powertrain warranty, and wait ... When it craps out, they'll give you a new engine

JackalopeWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi :(
I have a 17 power wagon as well. My lifters were making noise at under 1000 miles, took until 27k and taking it to another dealer to get them done. The second dealer could not believe the first dealer let it go, 28 days later I got it back. Now with 800 miles on the new lifters it is back in the dealer again with the same lifter issue. Also did I mention the truck will blow blue smoke on start up?

It blows me away that folks in here say "i would just drive it till you have to tow it in" yea, just what i wanted with buying a new truck. Something you are super confident to take cross country..

Mine may be a extreme case but after seeing many with similar experiences it is not reassuring..

Update for you guys. So they put another set of lifters in and no change. This dealer seems to be one that fully understands what needs done. They finally did a compression check and found it low on one cylinder. So FCA finally approved the long block replacement. They got the motor replaced and for the first time since 1000 miles this truck sounds great.

In the mean time I did pursue a lemon law claim being that I have had the truck in for this same issue for a total of almost 100 days, 5 seperate visits and countless hrs of frustration. I have signed a agreement stating that I personally wont pursue and further lemon law claims and it is settled. I am extremely happy with the resolution. I am keeping the truck and took a rather large cash settlement with 3 years service.

The truck does seem to be working as it should now and in the future I will be selling it. I am one who when buying a new vehicle wants one that is not taken apart countless times whether it is finally fixed or not. I like buying new so I know what I have and the dependability that usually comes with it.

The biggest piece of advice I have for anyone who buys a new vehicle is to document everything, also bring up any issue you have with the vehicle to the dealer and MAKE SURE YOU HAVE IT DOCUMENTED ON THEIR INVOICE THE ISSUES, no matter how small!!! I can not stress this enough. For me by doing so made my case a slam dunk and made my settlement extremely good for me. Good luck all

ReefRaider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well **** ! Today rounded a corner step in it and then it sounds like theres a hole in the block. CEL comes on. Pull over at idle it stops. But turn eng off and restart. CeL is out and operation returns to normal. Pulled code later that day.

53,000 miles on a 2014 2500 6.4

The code was po302 it came back as replace lifters and or cam. Why would it stop at idle and then go away completely after ignition was shut down and restarted ??

Have driven another 180 some odd miles now since this happen. Fingers are crossed it was just some fluke

Last edited:

ReefRaider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
View attachment 151556
Kinda looks like your both right. 1st the roller failed then it rotated.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Damn !

Chris8579

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
My 2016 was just diagnosed as a bad cam and lifters took it to two different dealers first one said it was normal. second one diagnosed it said lifters. They haven’t torn it down yet waiting on parts truck has a horrible tick. I have 49,000 miles it started at 21,000 miles and has gotten worse. It sounded really bad when I took it to second dealer.

opie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I traded my 2016 in on a 2019 back in October. the 16 had 59,*** miles and would occasionally tick in the AM on a cold start. It never lasted more than 5 seconds, so I never said anything to the dealer.

2 weeks ago, my 19 did it for the first time at 44xx miles. It lasted for over 5 minutes. Off to the dealer it went for an overnight so they could hear it. Surprisingly it did occur, for I'm told 15 seconds, but was also told Chrysler has no fix at this time, but it has been documented.

This is with Amsoil and a WIX Xp filter, I changed the oil at 1500 miles.

ChevySlayer69

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I traded my 2016 in on a 2019 back in October. the 16 had 59,*** miles and would occasionally tick in the AM on a cold start. It never lasted more than 5 seconds, so I never said anything to the dealer.

2 weeks ago, my 19 did it for the first time at 44xx miles. It lasted for over 5 minutes. Off to the dealer it went for an overnight so they could hear it. Surprisingly it did occur, for I'm told 15 seconds, but was also told Chrysler has no fix at this time, but it has been documented.

This is with Amsoil and a WIX Xp filter, I changed the oil at 1500 miles.

This is awful and exactly how these failures begin. No fix? How about new lifter(s) because one of them is clearly defective. Once they slam off the cam enough times something will give and it's those needle bearings. Then you are screwed. In the meantime I'd replace the oil filter and hope it's defective.

opie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This is awful and exactly how these failures begin. No fix? How about new lifter(s) because one of them is clearly defective. Once they slam off the cam enough times something will give and it's those needle bearings. Then you are screwed. In the meantime I'd replace the oil filter and hope it's defective.
Service guy said they can replace the lifters, but it won't fix the problem.

I've started documenting every engine start with video evidence. Every occurence of the lifters collapsing will result in a trip to the dealer, no matter how short the duration. Once I reach lemon status, I'll change directions.

I trust the dealer and I agree there is no point throwing time and money at an issue that will return. Best we can do is document and go from there.

The next occurence I will also start pushing for an unlimited warranty on the engine. I did purchase an extended bumper to bumper good till 120,000 miles so either way, I'm covered.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Chris8579

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
I got my 2016 back from the dealer last Friday it sounded good till Wednesday this week now the noise is creeping back. They replaced the cam and drivers side lifters on mine.