6.4 in a 2010?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Highwayman777

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
How’s everyone doing? Just registered and I’m curious about what a guy would need for a 6.4 swap in a 2010 ram 1500. I know anything’s possible with the right amount of dough but I’m just wondering because my truck is one of the earliest gen 4s and the 6.4 didn’t come out until later. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. I’m asking for what I’d need (ie any special components etc) Thanks again

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
It's a bolt in using all your 5.7 external components,it'll need a custom tune though. What are you planning for a transmission upgrade,as you might get a week out of your RFE transmission when you bolt a 6.4 to it. If your budget doesn't allow doing an 8 speed swap and engine swap at once, do the transmission swap first,then do the engine swap when you can afford it. No you can't build an RFE to live behind a 6.4,so don't waste any money trying to upgrade it.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
This is a very common answer on the hi-po pages in regards to the transmission you have.

Dylan Wright
Top Contributor

I know you know, but it’s just not worth tryna go fast with a 5/6 speed truck. I was going to try, I was pretty determined to go 10s with a 6 speed, but after going through 5 I gave up lol