8 speed transmission problems, or just how it is?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mbrigh3

IG: Stormtrooper_5.7
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Dodge/RAM/FCA didnt make the transmission, so ....

It still represents their product. Dont get me wrong I love my Ram I just hope it can stay out of the shop this time!

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It still represents their product. Dont get me wrong I love my Ram I just hope it can stay out of the shop this time!

FWIW the trans they chose is pretty darn good. Used in a ton of high end applications and seems to have a very good track record.

Granted, there will be lemons, but overall I think its a fine transmission. Probably the best autotragic Ive ever owned. Still has quirks, of course.

OTOH I start to wonder if its FCAs paranoia about the trans that makes these issues never really get resolved (Ive read multiple times they have basically been told "s/w update, replace valve body or replace the whole thing" are their only options)

Personally I think its all software. New valve body or even a new trans "fixes" the problem, until the s/w learns bad values, bad habits, whatever. Then the issue "returns" evne though it was only temporarily gone because the valve body or trans replacement essentially reset all of the s/w values.

My G37 is very similar and its quite noticeable if the battery dies, especially if it dies while starting the car. The trans shifts like crap for a few days after that, then eventually comes back to what it was before the battery issue.

Mbrigh3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
FWIW the trans they chose is pretty darn good. Used in a ton of high end applications and seems to have a very good track record.

Granted, there will be lemons, but overall I think its a fine transmission. Probably the best autotragic Ive ever owned. Still has quirks, of course.

OTOH I start to wonder if its FCAs paranoia about the trans that makes these issues never really get resolved (Ive read multiple times they have basically been told "s/w update, replace valve body or replace the whole thing" are their only options)

Personally I think its all software. New valve body or even a new trans "fixes" the problem, until the s/w learns bad values, bad habits, whatever. Then the issue "returns" evne though it was only temporarily gone because the valve body or trans replacement essentially reset all of the s/w values.

My G37 is very similar and its quite noticeable if the battery dies, especially if it dies while starting the car. The trans shifts like crap for a few days after that, then eventually comes back to what it was before the battery issue.

You clearly know a lot more about transmissions then me! Im just hoping the new free transmission fixes my problems. I miss my truck lol

16RamHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 Sport Crew
to me, the concerning part is how fca and zf say 2 different things as far as service. thats fine if your going to out source the trans. but how do you not go with their service recommendation? they made it.

joels

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So my 2019 classic ccsb has been in the shop for three weeks now. They have been fixing a power steering failure issue, first visit when it was in the shop for a week they replaced the power steering gear. 2 weeks later it began failing again while driving (no power steering assist). Turns out there was a corroded connector below the truck and ac condensate dropped onto it because it was fitted wrong by company itself which was causing communication issues and leading to electronic failures.

Anyway, in terms of a loaner, I’m in a 2019 1500 classic crew cab 4X4 regular 6 ft bed which has 24xxx miles on it and it runs great. I tried hard in the last 3 weeks to simulate the bump in my truck. No thuds/ bumps from the transmission. I looked under and it hasi felt knee a solid drive shaft going directly from the transmission to the rear diff. The truck feel smoother under acceleration too. Possibly the two pc. drive shaft in my truck is the culprit. I’m waiting for the dealership to revert back with their diagnosis. Will keep you’ll posted.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
So my 2019 classic ccsb has been in the shop for three weeks now. They have been fixing a power steering failure issue, first visit when it was in the shop for a week they replaced the power steering gear. 2 weeks later it began failing again while driving (no power steering assist). Turns out there was a corroded connector below the truck and ac condensate dropped onto it because it was fitted wrong by company itself which was causing communication issues and leading to electronic failures.

Anyway, in terms of a loaner, I’m in a 2019 1500 classic crew cab 4X4 regular 6 ft bed which has 24xxx miles on it and it runs great. I tried hard in the last 3 weeks to simulate the bump in my truck. No thuds/ bumps from the transmission. I looked under and it hasi felt knee a solid drive shaft going directly from the transmission to the rear diff. The truck feel smoother under acceleration too. Possibly the two pc. drive shaft in my truck is the culprit. I’m waiting for the dealership to revert back with their diagnosis. Will keep you’ll posted.

Is your truck a 2 wheel drive or a 4X4? The 4X4's still have a normal slip yoke into the transfer case,while the 2 wheel drives bolt the driveshaft to the back of the transmission and require a slip yoke of some sort with-in the driveshaft,whether that be a slip yoke at a center/steady bearing,or as the regular cab shortbox trucks have, an unsupported slip joint in the driveshaft,which is famous for causing issues in the regular cab shortbox trucks.

joels

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Mine is RWD only. Not 4x4. I didn’t see the single pc drive shaft supported in the center on the 4x4 which i had as a loaner. But you probably have a point about the 2 pc unsupported drive shaft on the short bed trucks.

So the dealership returned the truck and said I had only completed 4/6 transmission learning cycles. If the problem still persisted after 6 cycles they would troubleshoot further with FCA. The truck continues to bump/shudder when stopping and taking off. Service guys told me it’s a learning thing with the software but I told them that none of that holds any water because the rental truck was driven by so many different people. My wife drives my truck at times. Surely FCA didn’t program a transmission with only one driver in mind. If it is a driveshaft issue which I feel, then the dealership needs to do something about it. If it is a software issue, which is what they claim, then there should be an update/patch to fix this issue. This is just driving me nuts. It’s frustrating to hear that FCA techs tell the dealership techs that it will learn, go away with time etc. and not diagnose it appropriately.

Micah12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You clearly know a lot more about transmissions then me! Im just hoping the new free transmission fixes my problems. I miss my truck lol

Did the new tranny fix your issue???

My is back in the shop after they Flashed the ecu, no help

They replaced the valve body - no help

Now theyre gonna replace the tranny.

Mbrigh3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Did the new tranny fix your issue???

My is back in the shop after they Flashed the ecu, no help

They replaced the valve body - no help

Now theyre gonna replace the tranny.

YUP! the transmission fixed my issue! she runs great now

Ribtipram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I had a 14 1500 quad cab and i think the 8sp 5.7 and 3.92 rears is one of the best combos I've ever had. Put 115k on that truck with only the exhaust bolt break

joels

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
YUP! the transmission fixed my issue! she runs great now

Mbrigh3 good to know that the new transmission has fixed your problem. How many miles have you put on the truck with the new transmission? No jerks or bumps when coming to a stop or taking off?

Mine is back at the dealership and they are diagnosing the issue again.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
How long did it take your dealer to get approval from fca to repair or replace your trans? I'm going through the process of getting mine done at the moment.

Mbrigh3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had my truck fixed within 2 weeks.

Reactions: BWL

Mbrigh3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mbrigh3 good to know that the new transmission has fixed your problem. How many miles have you put on the truck with the new transmission? No jerks or bumps when coming to a stop or taking off?

Mine is back at the dealership and they are diagnosing the issue again.

I have 0 problems once they replaced the transmission. I am a happy camper!

cnitty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My 2017 1500 Limited is at the dealer now for this issue dealer is installing a new drive shaft.
I'm bummed because I see replacing the transmission fixed the issue not the drive shaft.

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
My 2017 1500 Limited is at the dealer now for this issue dealer is installing a new drive shaft.
I'm bummed because I see replacing the transmission fixed the issue not the drive shaft.
Well don't sweat it because hopefully you end up with a new tranny and a new driveshaft
:cheers:

joels

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

First dealership service manager refused to fix anything on my truck. Said it’s a ‘normal operating characteristic’ and that there is no fix and nothing they can do. They say nothing wrong with the transmission or driveshaft. Service advisor told me in confidentiality that they didn’t even look into the concern, the service manager didn’t want to deal with my issue. I have reported this to FCA and will take it up with the owner of the dealership as well.
So I got with FCA and they got me into another dealership, where the shop foreman rode with me and he acknowledged the issue. So first thing to be changed will be the drive shaft. If that doesn’t fix the issue it’s the transmission which is a lengthy process.
He said that any packing any grease or anti seize into the splines would reduce the play but not really solve the problem. According to him it’s not the driveshaft, because whenever you switch to drive or neutral the truck will thud and bump with a bad drive shaft.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
He's not wrong about the transmission being a lengthy process.

cnitty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What is it about getting the transmission replaced?
The work itself or the red tape of being able to get the work done?

First dealership service manager refused to fix anything on my truck. Said it’s a ‘normal operating characteristic’ and that there is no fix and nothing they can do. They say nothing wrong with the transmission or driveshaft. Service advisor told me in confidentiality that they didn’t even look into the concern, the service manager didn’t want to deal with my issue. I have reported this to FCA and will take it up with the owner of the dealership as well.
So I got with FCA and they got me into another dealership, where the shop foreman rode with me and he acknowledged the issue. So first thing to be changed will be the drive shaft. If that doesn’t fix the issue it’s the transmission which is a lengthy process.
He said that any packing any grease or anti seize into the splines would reduce the play but not really solve the problem. According to him it’s not the driveshaft, because whenever you switch to drive or neutral the truck will thud and bump with a bad drive shaft.

Last edited:

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
What is it about getting the transmission replaced?
is it the work itself or the red tape of being able to get the work done?
For me it started as red tape.9 working days from when it was diagnosed. Now it's back ordered parts so it'll be almost 3 weeks to get those now by their estimate and then 3 or 4 days to get it to the specialty shop repaired, then back in the truck. I'll be around 6 weeks down. If it was quick approval and parts were available it would have been about a week.