ADDING TO OIL CHANGE CONFUSION

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Dave Haddon

Dave Haddon

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My bad boy never sees the cold..heated garage...his woner is a ***** when it comes to his truck..no cold.. no sun..no bird ****..even the cat if it looks like it wants to sun on the hood gets the broom!

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Thanks for the link. I'll call them later today to see if shipping to Ontario will be too costly.

If Homeland Security would just open the damned border without all the included stupidity, I could just drive 25 minutes to Walmart in Ogdensburg NY, or my post office box, just like I have for ages.

BTW, my Tundra usually sounded awful during cold starts using 5W20 with any temperature below about -25C. And that's on the warm end of the scale when we have a serious cold snap.

My wife 2018 Journey V6 with PUP 0w20 would not sound all that great at start up in -27F temps...

David James

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
After reading a lot on the forums I called around to find what Oil Change Stations had...recommended and pricing
Performance shop say 5W-20 Redline..w K& N filter $250
Lub Station Says Penzoil Ultra premium..$195..0W-40 weight..will put in my filter
Dealership says Penzoil Ultra Pro..$120 5W20

Any suggestions from you guys who know? Seems like a huge diff in price..weight etc

I have: 2021 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi Classic...any Help is appreciated..I useually go 7 K Km between Changes with filter. Truck has 26000 KM
I have a Wix 57060XP....filter in the garage that I p[lan to use on oil change.
Thanks
i would go with dealer in that scenario, hands down. Why not kick it up to 8k klicks/5k miles? That remains very conservative. Stay with factory recommended - 5W20 is important for VVT and MDS ops.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
i would go with dealer in that scenario, hands down. Why not kick it up to 8k klicks/5k miles? That remains very conservative. Stay with factory recommended - 5W20 is important for VVT and MDS ops.
Just to let you know but my dealer recommends synthetic blend 5w20 and won’t put full synthetic in. Also mds and vvt are not disrupted by 5w30 as proven by many many people.

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
After reading a lot on the forums I called around to find what Oil Change Stations had...recommended and pricing
Performance shop say 5W-20 Redline..w K& N filter $250
Lub Station Says Penzoil Ultra premium..$195..0W-40 weight..will put in my filter
Dealership says Penzoil Ultra Pro..$120 5W20

Any suggestions from you guys who know? Seems like a huge diff in price..weight etc

I have: 2021 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi Classic...any Help is appreciated..I useually go 7 K Km between Changes with filter. Truck has 26000 KM
I have a Wix 57060XP....filter in the garage that I p[lan to use on oil change.
Thanks
Multiviscosity motor oils are a blend (recipe) of various chemicals and base oils. The advertised operating temperature range is determined on the balance between Pour Point Depressants (to lower pour point temperature) and Viscosity Index Improvers (to raise viscosity for higher temperatures). Depending on the chemicals used to stretch the oil molecules to obtain the desired temperature range, excessive stretching can cause destabilization as either the VII or the PPD components will expend at different rates, possibly ending up with an oil flow problem when cold, or viscosity loss at engine operating temperatures.

Generally, pour point depressants work the best with lower viscosity motor oils, and become progressively ineffective with motor oils approaching SAE 30, which may be significant issue with longer oil change intervals.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 3 June 2018. Now at 82270 miles

OP
OP
Dave Haddon

Dave Haddon

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I was put onto a place in Edmonton Can West Transmission by Wild One..he knew of this place..I called threy are out of stock presently waiting for amn order that is on a train somewhere in Minnesota...their ph 780 900-4435...good luck gert in line...I am going to Tacoma on the 10th for a dog show..plan to pick a few bottles up while I am there to be on the safe side...also getting my VARARAM..!!...was shipped there before Xmas..so will bring it back and install at home..

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I was put onto a place in Edmonton Can West Transmission by Wild One..he knew of this place..I called threy are out of stock presently waiting for amn order that is on a train somewhere in Minnesota...their ph 780 900-4435...good luck gert in line...I am going to Tacoma on the 10th for a dog show..plan to pick a few bottles up while I am there to be on the safe side...also getting my VARARAM..!!...was shipped there before Xmas..so will bring it back and install at home..
Keep your stock airbox for the winter Dave.Vararams have been known to drift full of snow,if you're driving in a snow storm,or have to park it outside.I had a buddy put one on his truck,during a Chinook,then roar out to my place to show it off.The streets were wet and slushy in Calgary,and by the time he got to my place in Airdrie,he'd picked up enough wet slushy salt infested road crap,the filter had started to collasp,and had a couple big open spots,letting alot of the road crap into the engine.I had to drive him back into the city,and we picked up his original airbox and threw it back on.After that he swapped the Vararam back to the original airbox every winter.If you hunt around on google/youtube,you'll find pictures of them drifted full of snow.They aren't really a winter airbox for up here

OP
OP
Dave Haddon

Dave Haddon

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well now you tell me..geeez Rick..LOL..Yep I figured as much as a JAFO ( Blue Thunder fame ) that snow might be asn issue so I was just getting it to have something I could do when seasons change like winter rims etc..but thanks for confirming bud !

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Well now you tell me..geeez Rick..LOL..Yep I figured as much as a JAFO ( Blue Thunder fame ) that snow might be asn issue so I was just getting it to have something I could do when seasons change like winter rims etc..but thanks for confirming bud !
I think Filter Wear or Outer Wear have a sock for the Vararam air filter Dave,if they do,i'd invest in one.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Just bought one.
They're worth having in my opinion.Some guys claim they hurt power,but i've done a couple back to back tests at the track ,between having them on and having them off on both the truck and the wifes old Shaker hood 2016 Challenger,and neither vehicle changed et or trap speed.And that was going from a used filter with the sock,to brand new filters with no sock on both vehicles.It's a 155 miles up to Castrol,so anything i take up for racing,makes the drive up on the daily driver filter,and then i swap to brand new filters at the track

ppine

Forester
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 liter diesel
Cummins of Fleetguard filters. Use the oil called for in your owner's manual. Auto engineers know more than you do.

Mikeyram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I agree with that opine. I do recommend that he change oil and filter himself it will get easier every time. I use a cut down plastic can to drain it in, mine is a 2500. I use a battery impact wrench to remove the plug of course I tork it when I go back. I’ve been thinking about those valves to install where the oil plug is but im skeptical of that method. Thanks