AFE header install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bfill_rebel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So I got a set of AFE shortys off the for sale section here. I’m getting things together for install in a few weeks.

If I get Remflex 6022 which seems to be the gasket most preferred on here (slightly more popular than felpro). I have the AFE gaskets which have the shield but would likely rather do it once right (Remflex) and call it a day.

Then get ARP 440-1101 header bolt kit to round out hardware (I know stage 8 clips are recommended to be avoided).

Is my above thinking correct? Or are the heatshields on the AFEs a better way to go.

Last edited:

danielmid

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Heat shields are attached to the stock gaskets, you won't be reusing them and the Remflex don't have the heat shields.

EDIT: Or are you talking about the heat shields that attach to the manifold bolts? Those won't fit with the AFEs.

OP
OP
bfill_rebel

bfill_rebel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Heat shields are attached to the stock gaskets, you won't be reusing them and the Remflex don't have the heat shields.

EDIT: Or are you talking about the heat shields that attach to the manifold bolts? Those won't fit with the AFEs.
Yea I wasnt sure if I should be looking for other shields. Thanks for the response

danielmid

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yea I wasnt sure if I should be looking for other shields. Thanks for the response
I went with ceramic coating to knock down heat some for my AFEs, some do ceramic, some do wrapping, some do both.

OP
OP
bfill_rebel

bfill_rebel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I went with ceramic coating to knock down heat some for my AFEs, some do ceramic, some do wrapping, some do both.

Can this be done afterwards? What type of shop does this coating? How much did you pay?

Highway

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I used remflex and the bolts that come with the headers work just fine. I used the header package bolts with my 3rd gen and zero problems and now with my 4th gen

danielmid

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Can this be done afterwards? What type of shop does this coating? How much did you pay?
Most powdercoating shops also do ceramic coating, I think I paid around 225 or so for Cerakote black ceramic coating. What do you mean afterwards? It's a baked on coating they spray over and inside the header after sandblasting, so not once they're on the vehicle, but it can be done after use, they just have to come off.

OP
OP
bfill_rebel

bfill_rebel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Most powdercoating shops also do ceramic coating, I think I paid around 225 or so for Cerakote black ceramic coating. What do you mean afterwards? It's a baked on coating they spray over and inside the header after sandblasting, so not once they're on the vehicle, but it can be done after use, they just have to come off.
I’ve sent some messages to a few shops I found locally. Will see what they quote.

Black1500Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Pass on the arp bolts they were too long for my afe’s. Or at least buy them from Amazon so you can return.

The bolts that came with my afe’s are 10.9… if not autozone has them. They’re m8x1.25x25 I believe. Search my posts to confirm.

OP
OP
bfill_rebel

bfill_rebel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Pass on the arp bolts they were too long for my afe’s. Or at least buy them from Amazon so you can return.

The bolts that came with my afe’s are 10.9… if not autozone has them. They’re m8x1.25x25 I believe. Search my posts to confirm.
Thanks for that advice. That would be annoying to find out they were to long at that point of the project.

OP
OP
bfill_rebel

bfill_rebel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Where are you at? I got mine done in West Phoenix and I'd give them a good recommendation.
I’m in Chicago area. I’ve sent some emails to sites. Out of 3 only 1 has responded yet and quoted $220 and a 10-14 day turn around.

OP
OP
bfill_rebel

bfill_rebel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So I don’t have any bolts. Therefore I gotta order some. I’ve seen a couple posts about ARP not always fitting based on header brand (as mentioned a few posts ago). So my options seem:
1.) contact AFE for a new set of bolts (unsure of cost)
2.) use stage 8 but toss clips in garbage
3.) SRT bolts

Does anyone know if these are the correct SRT bolts? Or does anyone have part number to confirm

Black1500Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So I don’t have any bolts. Therefore I gotta order some. I’ve seen a couple posts about ARP not always fitting based on header brand (as mentioned a few posts ago). So my options seem:
1.) contact AFE for a new set of bolts (unsure of cost)
2.) use stage 8 but toss clips in garbage
3.) SRT bolts

Does anyone know if these are the correct SRT bolts? Or does anyone have part number to confirm

Those look like they’re for the stock cast manifold. The flange on them is at least 5/8” - 3/4” thick. The afe flange is probable 3/8”-1/2.”

As I mentioned ace hardware, auto zone, oreilys, advanced all have the bolts needed.

Here’s a pic - these are exactly the same length and grade as what comes with the afe shorties.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Those look like they’re for the stock cast manifold. The flange on them is at least 5/8” - 3/4” thick. The afe flange is probable 3/8”-1/2.”

As I mentioned ace hardware, auto zone, oreilys, advanced all have the bolts needed.

Here’s a pic - these are exactly the same length and grade as what comes with the afe shorties.
The 6.1's only ever came with the SRT manifolds as they only put them in the SRT cars ,and SRT Jeeps,the 6.1 never had cast iron exhaust manifolds
The 6.1 bolts in his link will work,and should have a smaller socket head,which makes shorties a bit easier to install

Last edited:

blackbetty14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT/Etorque
I find it hard to believe ARP won’t fit and can’t be found in stock somewhere. I put them on my eBay shorty headers. Did you try summit? They are in stock.

Aftermarket flange even on the AFe is 3/8” probably. Stock manifold is more than 1”.

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I used SRT bolts and gaskets on my JBA shorty header install and they worked perfectly.

I also laid down a thick bead of ultra copper rtv on the collectors where they bolt to the reast of the exhaust system to ensure no leaks as this is an area that can develop leaks.

I've had my set on for many months now and no issues, codes, funny smells, etc.

Also, on the passenger side, make sure you raise the coolant hoses for the heater core up and out of the way so they don't get close to the header ;)

I zip tied them up (little piece of rubber wrapped around the hose at the zip tie so it wasn't like a razor after time and could cut into the heater core hose) to a secure location by the coil pack to give it lots of room away from the header.

You'll also likely need to gently bend your dipstick tube a bit so the driver side header doesn't interfere with it.

crazy2jerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I got mine new for 200 less than anywhere else i could find. Love them, left them as they came. Not so much love for the install. Lots scratched knuckles left is a be-ouch to install not so on the right side. My only gripe is the 2 center bolts to install and tighten on both sides. Just watch for a broken bolt, I bought a drill plate because I had a tick for 40 seconds on start up. Yes front left broken bolt and thanks to the drill guide got it out in 30 minutes no problem. All was good with what came with the Afe shorty headers. no leaks 2 months...