AGM battery

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
anyone change out their battery for an AGM style.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I put an Optima Red in my previous vehicle, it was 8 years old while it survived 3 complete discharges and still would start the vehicle in the dead of winter after sitting for a week. The EcoDiesel comes from the factory with an AGM battery, only one unlike the CTD that has two. I've been thinking of changing it preemptively to an Odyssey AGM. They make one that fits, has a higher CCA rating and they have a good reputation.

OP
OP
runamuck

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
thanx. my son and I both have ram 4x4 trucks and he is starting to have battery issues like oem battery wont hold a charge anymore so have been looking at both of us going to AGM. these trucks seem to have a lot of parasitic drain and have read that AGM batteries hold a charge better during extended garage time.

Badger 13

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have used AGM batteries for years, and will only replace with AGM battery. They cost more, and when I had my diesel it was double the price for two batteries. One of the things I like best about AGM batteries, there is NO corrosion.

buddy guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
thanx. my son and I both have ram 4x4 trucks and he is starting to have battery issues like oem battery wont hold a charge anymore so have been looking at both of us going to AGM. these trucks seem to have a lot of parasitic drain and have read that AGM batteries hold a charge better during extended garage time.

They can sit for a long time and keep a good charge. Why they are popular on motorcycles, plus how clean they stay of course. Even so...like on my motorbike, I added a smart charger connector to my battery so I can plug the battery into the charger whenever I'm not driving the truck in the winter. I found with doing mostly short drives in the winter my battery wasn't staying charged up enough for my remote starter to work consistently just a 2 amp charger, no reason I couldnt plug it in year round like I do on my bike. Only runs outside of winter as a top up and to extend the life of the battery in general.