AlfaOBD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mike19950

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I also have a 2014, below are the 6 settings I have set using Alpha and I had the option show on both my original 5" radio and my current 8.4" radio.

CBC Features Configuration:
  • DRL Configuration: Optional DRL
  • DRL Lamp Location: Turn Signal DRL
  • DRL Dropout Enable: Set

ECU Configuration 3:
  • DRL customer setting enable/disable: Set

Customer Programming Features:
  • Daytime Running Lamps: Set

Vehicle Config Customer Settings Menu 1:
  • Daytime running lights customer settings menu: Set

-Keith

I dont think I have all of those set. I will try to find which ones I still need to turn on. I updated the app last night too and it crashes when I try to set anything now just like others Ive seen on here today.

horsetrailer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi Power Wagon
Guys. For those who set DRLs and don't see the checkbox on the uconnect screen you have to reboot uconnect. I have a 2018 power wagon and the usual reboots don't work anymore so after I restarted the BCM I turned the ignition off and then disconnected the battery for 2 min and reconnected. Don't freak out if your uconnect is missing stuff while it loads. It will eventually look normal again. Mine took almost 10 min

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Canadian Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 SLT
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Sorry late to the party, 436 pages late to be exact. Have 2012 power wagon and would like to adjust transmission shift points and adjust my TPMS, for the 35's I'm running.

Does this work for 2012 model Year?
And/or is there a better thread to for MY 2012?

You can adjust the tire size so the speedometer reads correctly, which I think affects the shift points.
Finally got my OBDLink MX last week and changed the tire size setting on my 2011 2500 before I went on a ~1000km trip with ~1500lbs payload over the weekend, it seemed to shift way better then before I changed it.

mike19950

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I dont think I have all of those set. I will try to find which ones I still need to turn on. I updated the app last night too and it crashes when I try to set anything now just like others Ive seen on here today.

Just checked my most recent log in google drive and it looks like I have them all set. I will have to confirm next time im connected to the truck.

Reactions: JB1

kad

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Has anybody checked the firmware version of their OBDLink MX? It's been a while since their latest release (Aug 2017), but maybe some issues are created by older firmware.

https://www.scantool.net/scantool/downloads/updates/obdlink_mx/

You know, I think I opened the app it came with once, just to see what it looked like and I've never opened it since. I didn't' even realize that the MX HAD updatable firmware. Thank you. I'll have to check mine the next time I have it in the truck. (Which will NOT be until the temperature gets above freezing again! :) )

-K

78Staff

US Navy Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
On a different note, I added the 4th Gen Ram Electronics Aux Switches and cannot get the Aux Switch programming to show up in the EVIC nor the 8.4 screen. Any recommendations on how to get it to show up? I have tried the following:

Auxiliary Switches CSM: 1-4 option
Auxiliary Switches CSM: 2-5 option

Neither worked.

It only shows up in the EVIC or 8.4 on certain vehicles - a lot of us also don't have the controls even though we are able to set the switch configs with AlfaOBD. I think it has something to do with whether your vehicle has the upfitter option from the factory.

You can of course still program the switches as needed with AlfaOBD, but won't have the ability to change them "on the fly" with the 8.4 or EVIC. TBH it's really not needed though, for the most part once you set them you'll likely rarely need to change them.

ngiovas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Good to see you around again Nick.

Remember the issues we had using the AutoEnginuity Tool & BCM corruption?

While the AlfaOBD doesn't seem to corrupt anything that we know of yet, most people that try a non recommended OBD interface end up with problems getting things changed (only a few have had luck with others). If you have problems, the first question will be, what interface are you using.... "Get the OBDLlink MX adapter".

It's a great setup and worth the money.

Mike G.

M² Mods.

Hi Mike, yes - I've been laying low. Other than new tires and a leveling kit, haven't done much to the truck (except enjoying it).

I remember those issues well. When I saw that this app looked more promising, I decided it was worth trying it out. I went ahead and ordered the OBDLink MX this afternoon. In the grand scheme of things - well worth the cost.

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
So is the general consensus that we should hold off on the latest Android update for Alfa?
I 100% would. I've tried everything to make it work on my phone with no luck. Luckily my pad which has the older version works fine.

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk

67Guzzler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
So I wanted to blow $30 and "test" the "Enable High Intensity Discharge Headlights" toggle in the Body controller. So I bought the absolute cheapest set of bulbs and ballasts with no harnesses, capacitors, resistors or other "smoothing" devices. What I bought was the worst of the worst crap -- just to see if the $300 kits from all the fancy RAM vendors are now 100% unecessary for compatibility reasons.

My preliminary findings -- The $300+ kits are now unnecessary with alfaobd.

My simple test -- find a ballast small enough to stuff in the case and close the dust cover without modifying. No cutting, grommets, mounting, etc... Just shove the stuff in and call it done.

It works. It just works. You can go with any cheapie crap HID kit (AND take the inherent risk that the ballast will fail in 6 hours, LOL) and run with it if you choose. I'm attaching pictures -- very basic.

This is something I would have never thought possible with a 2013+ RAM truck.

I really don't think the fancy HID vendors with their "5th gen super GT can-bus" ballasts (roll eyes), super duper wiring harnesses (that look like something from the dark ages), capacitors and resistors want us to know that for $49 worth of software we can shut down the bulb out checking (by enabling High Intensity Discharge Lights) and just run with it. That would really take a bite out of their business model.

Something to think about. Alfaobd appears to be a game-changer for the HID market itself (NOT just LED's).

Sure you can buy the expensive kits for their inherent quality -- where it exists -- but not because you HAVE TO BUY them to circumvent PWM and Circuit disabling -- any more!
smile.gif

I do have one question for my LED headlight friends -- we know enabling LED on the other circuits (FOG, Reverse, license plate, etc....) disables PWM. Does it do the same for the LOW-BEAM circuit? OR does "enable High Intensity Discharge Headlights" disable PWM AND bulb out resistance or JUST bulb out resistance? If it's the latter, I'd do them in tandem and be sure that PWM isn't hitting my ballast... If I had LED bulbs to test, I'd set it for enable High Intensity Discharge Headlights but NOT enable LED Low Beams. Then run the LED's and view through my phones camera photo-sensor and see if the LED's are cycling. IF they are, those with HID's might want to do both to be sure that PWM isn't still hitting their ballast even though the HID setting has turned off the bulb out warning.

-Guzzler

ballast1.jpg ballast_installed1.jpg HID_installed.jpg

Last edited:

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
Damn that looks good!! Always liked HIDs better they're brighter than LEDs just nit as reliable

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk

loco

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Anyone else having an issue with alfa where it shuts off when you try to change any functions?

I can get into the BCM and do things like have it turn on a light test but not actually make a configuration change!

Just installed my Laramie seats and need to enable them but it just crashes. I was so stoked and now so crushed.

ngiovas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Anyone else having an issue with alfa where it shuts off when you try to change any functions?

I can get into the BCM and do things like have it turn on a light test but not actually make a configuration change!

Just installed my Laramie seats and need to enable them but it just crashes. I was so stoked and now so crushed.

A couple of people mentioned this issue with the latest update (it works fine for others). Someone suggested uninstalling and clearing the cache and then reinstall.

scott_intx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So I wanted to blow $30 and "test" the "Enable High Intensity Discharge Headlights" toggle in the Body controller. So I bought the absolute cheapest set of bulbs and ballasts with no harnesses, capacitors, resistors or other "smoothing" devices. What I bought was the worst of the worst crap -- just to see if the $300 kits from all the fancy RAM vendors are now 100% unecessary for compatibility reasons.

My preliminary findings -- The $300+ kits are now unnecessary with alfaobd.

My simple test -- find a ballast small enough to stuff in the case and close the dust cover without modifying. No cutting, grommets, mounting, etc... Just shove the stuff in and call it done.

It works. It just works. You can go with any cheapie crap HID kit (AND take the inherent risk that the ballast will fail in 6 hours, LOL) and run with it if you choose. I'm attaching pictures -- very basic.

This is something I would have never thought possible with a 2013+ RAM truck.

I really don't think the fancy HID vendors with their "5th gen super GT can-bus" ballasts (roll eyes), super duper wiring harnesses (that look like something from the dark ages), capacitors and resistors want us to know that for $49 worth of software we can shut down the bulb out checking (by enabling High Intensity Discharge Lights) and just run with it. That would really take a bite out of their business model.

Something to think about. Alfaobd appears to be a game-changer for the HID market itself (NOT just LED's).

Sure you can buy the expensive kits for their inherent quality -- where it exists -- but not because you HAVE TO BUY them to circumvent PWM and Circuit disabling -- any more!
smile.gif

I do have one question for my LED headlight friends -- we know enabling LED on the other circuits (FOG, Reverse, license plate, etc....) disables PWM. Does it do the same for the LOW-BEAM circuit? OR does "enable High Intensity Discharge Headlights" disable PWM AND bulb out resistance or JUST bulb out resistance? If it's the latter, I'd do them in tandem and be sure that PWM isn't hitting my ballast... If I had LED bulbs to test, I'd set it for enable High Intensity Discharge Headlights but NOT enable LED Low Beams. Then run the LED's and view through my phones camera photo-sensor and see if the LED's are cycling. IF they are, those with HID's might want to do both to be sure that PWM isn't still hitting their ballast even though the HID setting has turned off the bulb out warning.

-Guzzler

View attachment 152884 View attachment 152885 View attachment 152886

Awesome recon! Do you have links to the set you purchased?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins

Scroll through the last couple of pages of posts. Several are complaining that the latest update that came out yesterday is causing crashes.

Unfortunately mine was set to auto update and I now have the latest which appears to have a bug.

Opie011

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins

-Guzzler

I think someone on the cumminsforum tested low beam and that the LED setting did not disable the PWM but enabling HIDs disabled the PWM. I've enabled HIDs with my HR V.4 LED bulbs and no issues!

Opie011

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Scroll through the last couple of pages of posts. Several are complaining that the latest update that came out yesterday is causing crashes.

Unfortunately mine was set to auto update and I now have the latest which appears to have a bug.

Same here unfortunately

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Someone posted videos of their taillight LEDs with and without settings enabled and disabled in Alfa. It is clearly making more of a difference than just "ignoring" the voltage so it prevents lamp out warnings.

As such, I would fully expect the HID settings to work as expected too. Ive asked about this as well....how hard is it to find barebones, no "CAN BUS ELIMINATOR!" or "resistors built in!" HID or LED bulbs?

Because that is what we can now use, we dont need any of the other electronics, add-on boxes, etc.

67Guzzler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Awesome recon! Do you have links to the set you purchased?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I really can't recommend them as one of the ballasts failed about 15 minutes into initial burn-in. I was just going for some very small / cheap test mules.

The bulbs were fine -- although they had a greenish tint that wasn't supposed to be present.

Here are the links:

Ballasts (pair): https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B06ZYSFW3J

or individually: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B009MVK0KI

Bulbs (pair): https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07G7TNVQ6

-Guzzler

Last edited: