AlfaOBD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thank you! Somehow I thought that might be the answer about a Jeep forum.
Just an observation from me about the RAMForum and whether you agree or disagree it just an observation.

Everyday I see new people join us here (I joined too) and many seem to mention other forums they've been to and when you Google something you want to do to your truck the majority of the hits come back with a link to a page to the RAMForum.
This is the most unbelievably helpful source of information and help from wonderful people that is available for a RAM owner!

@Ghost_RAM has started a thread that has blown up into something that has helped me turn my nothing equipped truck in to something beyond what I could have imagined without paying the dealer a ton of $$$$$ and being told "oh no, you can't do that". M2Mods harnesses have taken it over the top with a NAV radio, ATC, etc and other electronics wise. Just a short time after Thanksgiving I wrote about not looking at the forum for 20hrs and seeing an additional 12 new pages to this thread, UNBELIEVABLE !!!!!!!

THANK YOU TO EVERYONE ON THIS FORUM :cheers:

Totally agree. Especially on mobile...Ill be searching for something on my phone and not know where the link is leading. Of course 99%of the time its right back to RAMforum.

No offense to RAMforum but sometimes....just sometimes....I want someone different :)

jordanlbrt

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 2500 mega cab
Engine
Their needs to be a search feature in this thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
There is. Mine is at the top right corner. Three vertical dots. Click them, then choose search. Using tapatalk app.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

oldjoe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
Their needs to be a search feature in this thread.

Like this or do you mean something different? This is on the desktop forum. I see you use tapatalk.

Screen Shot 01-27-19 at 07.04 PM.PNG

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
There is. Mine is at the top right corner. Three vertical dots. Click them, then choose search. Using tapatalk app.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Thanks. I had seen that but figured it searched through all of ram forum not just the thread

Gearhead383

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Did a little testing this weekend. Bought some cheap Amazon switchback LED’s for the front parking/turn lamps. Let the BCM know that these were LED’s. When turning on the turn signal, I got the bulb out error in the EVIC and hyper flashing. This ended up fixing itself within the next day or two. No problem there. They seem to work well as parking lights too. I enabled them to be DRL’s and they seem to work great. Here’s the issue. While they are on, either parking or DRL function, after 10 flashes with the turn signals, I get the bulb out error and hyper flashing. The funny thing is the turn signal indicator and the signal in the towing mirrors are the only thing hyper flashing. Front and rear signal are fine. Turn off the parking lights and cycle the turn signals again for 10 more flashes and they reset, no more hyper flashing. If I install the included resistors, it may fix the issue. Not looking to do that. I double checked my settings in the BCM and all look correct as per suggestions from others. Maybe I need to look for a specific bulb that works with canbus. What do you guys think? Is there a specific bulb that someone has use with success. BTW, I have the quad headlamps.

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
Did a little testing this weekend. Bought some cheap Amazon switchback LED’s for the front parking/turn lamps. Let the BCM know that these were LED’s. When turning on the turn signal, I got the bulb out error in the EVIC and hyper flashing. This ended up fixing itself within the next day or two. No problem there. They seem to work well as parking lights too. I enabled them to be DRL’s and they seem to work great. Here’s the issue. While they are on, either parking or DRL function, after 10 flashes with the turn signals, I get the bulb out error and hyper flashing. The funny thing is the turn signal indicator and the signal in the towing mirrors are the only thing hyper flashing. Front and rear signal are fine. Turn off the parking lights and cycle the turn signals again for 10 more flashes and they reset, no more hyper flashing. If I install the included resistors, it may fix the issue. Not looking to do that. I double checked my settings in the BCM and all look correct as per suggestions from others. Maybe I need to look for a specific bulb that works with canbus. What do you guys think? Is there a specific bulb that someone has use with success. BTW, I have the quad headlamps.

Interested in what you find out. I bought a set of non canbus switchbacks but haven't had the time to install them. Thinking of returning them and get a set of canbus compatible one's if they aren't going to work

Gearhead383

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Interested in what you find out. I bought a set of non canbus switchbacks but haven't had the time to install them. Thinking of returning them and get a set of canbus compatible one's if they aren't going to work

I'm hoping to convert everything over to LED but wanted to do some testing on a smaller /cheaper scale. The front marker lights only took me 5 min to change out. Was able to reach them through the fender well opening. So this made for an easy test. It looks like I may have to spend a bit more money on canbus ones. Like I stated earlier, would like to hear others experiences with this conversion. Good luck!

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
I'm hoping to convert everything over to LED but wanted to do some testing on a smaller /cheaper scale. The front marker lights only took me 5 min to change out. Was able to reach them through the fender well opening. So this made for an easy test. It looks like I may have to spend a bit more money on canbus ones. Like I stated earlier, would like to hear others experiences with this conversion. Good luck!

I'm running headlight revolution supernova v3's with canbus/light out adapter with zero issues so I'm just going to leave those alone. When I bought this truck last January I changed the map/dome, cargo, license plate and reverse lights all to leds. The cargo and reverse lights are canbus compatible. I have changed the settings in alphaobd for those, but had zero issues to begin with. It's been either snowing or below zero/single digits here so I haven't felt like putting in the switchbacks. Last week set the drl's to the turn signals so was very curious if the non canbus switchbacks would work with the setting changed to leds.

AndyT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
Sooooo.... I done goofed something..

Was playing around with things on the BCM with alfaobd.. somehow managed to mess up my driving hours.. it shows 65454 hours or something absolutely insane when I only have 46750km on the truck.. it's a 2016 with the base cluster.

If I remember correctly my hours should be near 654.. no more than 800 at least.

Is there a way to correct this with Alfa? I bought a new cluster and installed it a while ago and it has some insane amount of hours that makes no sense either.. it's got something like a million hours..

There are devices out there that can change the odometer and hours but I haven't found a way to do it with Alfa.. maybe we can ask the dev to add the feature?

Any help would be great.. might end up bringing it to the dealer but I don't think they'll be able to help me at all.

20190128_120224.jpg

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
Any clue what you were looking at it that could have messed something up? Your cluster is now showing high hour's or you are seeing this on alphaobd?

Edit. Note. Engine hours and miles are stored in the cluster and in the ecu I believe. I know it's stored in 2 locations

AndyT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
@1500ram12 - the cluster is now showing an insanely high amount of hours.

I went in and tried enabling all the CSM's that had "units" mentioned in them.. I've been wanting to change some things like the tire pressure screen to PSI so I can understand it.

At some point in the past I managed to enable the settings menu on the EVIC which is redundant since I have the 8.4.. not sure what setting it was to disable it again either.

Also enabled the PTO options which gave me the commercial settings menu to change things but the PTO didn't seem to work.. I think there's supposed to be an additional button somewhere to enable it so I disabled that again.

Also, you're correct. The odometer and hour meters are stored on the cluster and also separately on another computer.. I think it's the BCM. These however don't talk to eachother, so when you upgrade to another cluster you have to either have it programmed by someone or live with the incorrect milage and hours.

I bought a gas cluster (I have an EcoD) and it worked fine but the odometer read around 75k and the hours were insane... I guess the other truck needed an oil change too because this flagged something on the truck as me needing an oil change when I put my factory cluster back in.

I haven't tried reading the BCM to know if the hours are correct on it though.

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
TPMS change is simple,
body Computer
Choose your body Computer range
Connect
Click on car w/hood open
Under select procedure to start scroll down to the bottom and select update pressure thresholds
Choose your desired pressures front and rear
Start
Exit back to main screen
Select RF Hub
RF Hub
My 2013-2017
Connect
Click on car/we hood open
Scroll down to RF Hub reset/replace
Enter 4 digit pin (get from dealer)
Start
After complete turn key to off open door wait a minute.

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
I would try and reset as much as you remember back to "stock" and do one at a time. It's going to be a very slow process but atleast you will know what does what

AndyT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
@1500ram12

I've been trying to change the KPA readout to PSI.

out of curiousity, why would i need to go into the RF Hub reset/replace? is that to just "push" the settings to things? i've noticed some settings take a long time to actually change. would be nice to be able to ask the computers to pull the new configurations. I'll also have to contact the dealer for that PIN... i have to go back there to return the fuel filter i bought anyways.

I have a BCM config backup from several months ago, but i dont think reverting settings will fix the hours issue unless maybe its reading in some other format... but i'd imagine the idle hours would've done the same. i have a photo of the other EVIC somewhere with its insane amount of hours showing on the screen..

AndyT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
i managed to do it to the previous cluster too now that im looking at the photos... clicking through the settings for the cluster.. i think theres only 4 options but i remember somehow the language got messed up on it back then and that happened again today. I was able to fix it by going onto the radio and changing the language to french, waiting for it to change and then changing it back to english.... i wonder if its a bug in Alfa...

20180721_230414.jpg

20180721_232022.jpg

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
@1500ram12

I've been trying to change the KPA readout to PSI.

out of curiousity, why would i need to go into the RF Hub reset/replace? is that to just "push" the settings to things? i've noticed some settings take a long time to actually change. would be nice to be able to ask the computers to pull the new configurations. I'll also have to contact the dealer for that PIN... i have to go back there to return the fuel filter i bought anyways.

I have a BCM config backup from several months ago, but i dont think reverting settings will fix the hours issue unless maybe its reading in some other format... but i'd imagine the idle hours would've done the same. i have a photo of the other EVIC somewhere with its insane amount of hours showing on the screen..

I believe the sensors communicate with the rf hub . By resting it the hub updates with new parameters

ramrocker

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Those 2 high hour numbers remind me of digital binary memory registers being all set to 1s
2^16 Binary, a 16-bit register all 1s = 65536
2^32 Binary, a 32-bit register all 1s = 4294967296

AndyT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
Those 2 high hour numbers remind me of digital binary memory registers being all set to 1s
2^16 Binary, a 16-bit register all 1s = 65536
2^32 Binary, a 32-bit register all 1s = 4294967296

Sounds like alfaobd may have corrupted something somehow on the cluster... Interesting.. now I have to figure out how to fix it. Good thinking!!! Thanks for the tip

Gibbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I believe I'd contact Alexey (developer) and see if he has any insight on this.