AlfaOBD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

diboblo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
A friend who had a garage and ordered all kinds of the Amazon/EBay cheapo readers over the years . He basically was giving them away anytime someone used his services.

When I went down the Alpha OBD road, I started with the AEV bypass setup (2018HD) that my nephew had bought for his Jeep. He didn't need it but he purchased the kit for the new Jeeps that had it in and gave it to me. The first friend brought over a 12ft3 box loaded with all kinds of cheapo readers. Some would connect, like in your case, and was able to perform the tests. But when went into config change mode, not a single one would work using the AlphaOBD demo. So I bought the full blown version and still no dice. I have some contacts that used the AEV bypass and they said it worked fine with the OBDLink MX. I have been able to do some plain items, turn on the hidden truck alarm (main reason for starting down the road), changed CHMSL to LEDs and one other thing I can't think of right now.
Kaodtech makes a nice bypass harness:

https://www.kaodtech.com/

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

SkylarMelo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
A friend who had a garage and ordered all kinds of the Amazon/EBay cheapo readers over the years . He basically was giving them away anytime someone used his services.

When I went down the Alpha OBD road, I started with the AEV bypass setup (2018HD) that my nephew had bought for his Jeep. He didn't need it but he purchased the kit for the new Jeeps that had it in and gave it to me. The first friend brought over a 12ft3 box loaded with all kinds of cheapo readers. Some would connect, like in your case, and was able to perform the tests. But when went into config change mode, not a single one would work using the AlphaOBD demo. So I bought the full blown version and still no dice. I have some contacts that used the AEV bypass and they said it worked fine with the OBDLink MX. I have been able to do some plain items, turn on the hidden truck alarm (main reason for starting down the road), changed CHMSL to LEDs and one other thing I can't think of right now.
Thanks for the info! I was hoping to get away with not having tospend anything on a new reader if I already had a working one. I'm contemplating ordering a cheap one off Amazon (Veepeak) that another Ram owner has that works for him. We shall see! What were your interface settings for the scanner you used? Also, the hidden alarm I'm most definitely interested in lol, I have an SLT with the Sentry system, so does that mean I can enable it?

Last edited:

SR71RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah, I noticed the same thing. That was before my 7" cluster swap. Sure it'll be the same.

I just wanna be able to drive without headlights for a short distance (turning around in my neighborhood without my lights on) without the cluster blinding me.

the police lighting feature allows you to dim ALL interior lights to "OFF" but some relay clicks "differently" when locking/unlocking doors could NOT find any other change but only had it active for a day or 2 and reverted back
there is also military lighting BUT I have NOT tried that option

WY-Dave

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500
Engine
6.7 CTD
Thanks for the info! I was hoping to get away with not having to anything on a new reader if I already have a working one. I'm contemplating ordering a cheap one of Amazon that another Ram owner has that works for him. We shall see! What were your interface settings for the scanner you used? Also, the hidden alarm I'm most definitely interested in lol, I have an SLT with the Sentry system, so does that mean I can enable it?

Thanks

Not sure what years it is on, but I have the Tradesman level and it was there.

WY-Dave

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500
Engine
6.7 CTD
Kaodtech makes a nice bypass harness:

https://www.kaodtech.com/

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I got mine for free, but the AEV is only $25. They do it differently but as far as I can tell it works with everything( my personal experience and talking to others that have bought it). What I like about it is that there is only 1 plug to unplug to make it electronically invisible when going to the dealer. Had 2 oil changes with it installed and both times the dealership hooked up to it to see if any errors. Of course if it needs to go in where the area is access and the OBD port is moved, it can be seen. in the same case, The KAOD is 3 connectors unplugged and put back together. The AEV inserts 2 wires into the OBD connector and can be a royal pain to get back out. If my nephew hadn't ordered the kit for his jeep with the cable, I would have going with KOADs

https://www.northridge4x4.com/part/...ev-2018-ram-bypass-harness-kit-for-the-procal

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I got mine for free, but the AEV is only $25. They do it differently but as far as I can tell it works with everything( my personal experience and talking to others that have bought it). What I like about it is that there is only 1 plug to unplug to make it electronically invisible when going to the dealer. Had 2 oil changes with it installed and both times the dealership hooked up to it to see if any errors. Of course if it needs to go in where the area is access and the OBD port is moved, it can be seen. in the same case, The KAOD is 3 connectors unplugged and put back together. The AEV inserts 2 wires into the OBD connector and can be a royal pain to get back out. If my nephew hadn't ordered the kit for his jeep with the cable, I would have going with KOADs

https://www.northridge4x4.com/part/...ev-2018-ram-bypass-harness-kit-for-the-procal
Just so anybody else knows that is new to this comes along and sees this, the AEV bypass ONLY bypasses the CAN C (since you’re only plugging into the green CAN C block). YOU may not have run into anything yet with AlfaOBD that it doesn’t work on, but most things require CAN IHS to be bypassed. Hence...half the price- you only bypass half the CAN bus system.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Yeah, I noticed the same thing. That was before my 7" cluster swap. Sure it'll be the same.

I just wanna be able to drive without headlights for a short distance (turning around in my neighborhood without my lights on) without the cluster blinding me.
What did you notice? I'm a bit confused...

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

WY-Dave

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500
Engine
6.7 CTD
Just so anybody else knows that is new to this comes along and sees this, the AEV bypass ONLY bypasses the CAN C (since you’re only plugging into the green CAN C block). YOU may not have run into anything yet with AlfaOBD that it doesn’t work on, but most things require CAN IHS to be bypassed. Hence...half the price- you only bypass half the CAN bus system.

Give me an example that you think would not work.

Ram_rider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi guys I've got a 2014 Ram with 8.4 uconnect 3C from Canada. Trying to figure out how to enable the uconnect apps icon and any other feature that is not enabled for this Canadian truck. Any help would be very appreciated.

Ram_rider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi guys I've got a 2014 Ram with 8.4 uconnect 3C from Canada. Trying to figure out how to enable the uconnect apps icon and any other feature that is not enabled for this Canadian truck. Any help would be very appreciated.

I Also live in the US, and it seems like nobody has even tried or anyone I have contacted. so I'm trying to get the &apps icon to show up on the bottom of my uconnect radio screen because it is not there has anyone been able to or even try to enable that I believe it's because I have a truck from Canada.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I Also live in the US, and it seems like nobody has even tried or anyone I have contacted. so I'm trying to get the &apps icon to show up on the bottom of my uconnect radio screen because it is not there has anyone been able to or even try to enable that I believe it's because I have a truck from Canada.
Have you tried the Radio and connectivity- radio apps setting in the BCM?

Ram_rider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
After I started with 1.changing the country code from Canada to USA and a 2.factory reset on the radio(this did enable the Bluetooth media to work), the app icon on the right of the screen pops up (but only for the first ignition cycle)and the only selection I can make is *Settings. Pic attached
I then followed the directions above (thank you) and changed the "apps present" setting to yes and the same happens; It will show the apps icon after a reset but only for one ignition cycle. And it also show a SRT splash screen after the reset and no controls or settings are available through the menu until I turn the truck off. After the reset and the truck has been turned off, it then shows the regular RAM splash screen and all my controls and settings are back and that first time the apps icon shows up on the right. After that ignition cycle the apps icon disappears and the settings icon reappears in its place. Sorry for the long explanation.

Anyways, the app icon disappears after I turn the truck off any ideas on how I can make that stay and enable me to use the app store.

IMG_20200605_231129.jpg

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
After I started with 1.changing the country code from Canada to USA and a 2.factory reset on the radio(this did enable the Bluetooth media to work), the app icon on the right of the screen pops up (but only for the first ignition cycle)and the only selection I can make is *Settings. Pic attached
I then followed the directions above (thank you) and changed the "apps present" setting to yes and the same happens; It will show the apps icon after a reset but only for one ignition cycle. And it also show a SRT splash screen after the reset and no controls or settings are available through the menu until I turn the truck off. After the reset and the truck has been turned off, it then shows the regular RAM splash screen and all my controls and settings are back and that first time the apps icon shows up on the right. After that ignition cycle the apps icon disappears and the settings icon reappears in its place. Sorry for the long explanation.

Anyways, the app icon disappears after I turn the truck off any ideas on how I can make that stay and enable me to use the app store.

View attachment 210537
You can try connecting directly to the radio and see if there is a setting there?

Austen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I need urgent help please. I removed the OEM remote start without disabling anything in the bcm and my truck would not start no dash lights nothing. I re installed the remote start and still nothing after locking my doors with the door switch now my alarm is going off if my batteries are hooked up and I cannot turn it off because my key fobs will not work either. Any ideas??

17' CCSB 4X4 68RFE 2500 6.7 Tradesman DRP EGR delete, CTT tuning w/TCM tuning, UAQ w/7 speed HVAC, 7" premium EVIC, OEM front Parksense, OEM style front camera, aux switches, OEM remote start, Single Zone ATC

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
The clicking from the cluster especially with the power locks when I activated police mode
Thanks for elaborating! I didn't want to assume I knew what you all were referencing and I've toyed with the idea of enabling this feature.