AlfaOBD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Aaron Gilliam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
You would select radio frequency hub for select function, then select wireless control module my2011-12 non PowerNet for control unit. Then select program ignition keys or key fobs and follow the instructions. Don’t worry about running “ELV/ESCL replaced” or “PEM replaced” as you don’t have an electronic steering column lock or a passive entry module.

I have a question along these lines except I have to replace the WIN. Mine is messed up and stealership wants 700 for the win and 1 key plus 400 to program it. I already have alfaobd and OBDLink Mx and have added tons of stuff to my truck. But I’m u sure about the changing win. Do I just unplug it plug the new one in and then program keys? Or so I need to share secret key to pcm first?

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
First let me say thank you to everyone for their input and research into alfaobd. It is has been very helpful and for the most part easy to navigate.

I do have a couple questions and after reading about 300 pages of this thread I figured it was time to make a post.

My questions are:

Is there a way via alfaobd to disable the EVIC gages backlight when the headlights are off. If I want to sit idling with ACC on I would not like to be blinded at night.

Second question:

After doing a 7" cluster swap I am unable to write my idle and drive hours. The odometer worked just fine. I have tried multiple times and even uninstalling the app and un pairing the OBDLink MX and repairing.
I read further down that the 2013 clusters had problems with tpms but I have a 2013 ram and have had no issues other than the hours not writing. I feel like Nova Scotia ram with how many times I've tried. (we'll see if the 8" RA4 swap I'm doing next will give me any issues)

Thanks in advance everyone for any input.
Have you tried modifying the hours with both one "click" of the key and two?

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

SR71RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Yes, no dice.

Thanks for your suggestion though. I'm open for any suggestions. Just curious if not being able to adjust the hours will create concern if I bring the truck into the stealership.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Yes, no dice.

Thanks for your suggestion though. I'm open for any suggestions. Just curious if not being able to adjust the hours will create concern if I bring the truck into the stealership.
I don't believe so. Some of the earlier 7" clusters I believe actually had issues with accruing hours.

If I'm not mistaken though the mileage/hour failure is a communication speed issue. My cluster is a 2013 as well but was corrected by Dominic at TVandNavToGo several years ago. Maybe he can correct it for you although it maybe cheaper now with AlfaOBD to just get a different cluster.

Caboverbob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
New to Ram and considering AlfaOBD. Lot's to read thru, hoping someone familiar can point me in the right direction :

'17 2500 Laramie w/Cummins

1. Factory fog lights installed, however switch will not turn them on regardless of headlight switch position. Indicator on dash is amber, which to me indicates a problem.

2. Headlight switch has a "D" and says push, I assume for DRL ? When I push it there is no change.

3. I assume that I have projector headlights, not too familiar with them though, hopefully I can attach a pic. Can they be programmed to keep lowbeam on when highbeam is activated ? How do I know if my truck has what's needed for the highbeam auto dim ?

4. I have the chrome capped power folding tow mirrors with puddle lights, is there a power folding feature to deploy them into towing position ?

TIA for any help and to those who have contributed to this thread.

If there is anyone in the SF Bay Area who is willing to help or share info please HMU.

20200525_111204.jpg 20200525_111218.jpg 20200525_111251.jpg

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
New to Ram and considering AlfaOBD. Lot's to read thru, hoping someone familiar can point me in the right direction :

'17 2500 Laramie w/Cummins

1. Factory fog lights installed, however switch will not turn them on regardless of headlight switch position. Indicator on dash is amber, which to me indicates a problem.

2. Headlight switch has a "D" and says push, I assume for DRL ? When I push it there is no change.

3. I assume that I have projector headlights, not too familiar with them though, hopefully I can attach a pic. Can they be programmed to keep lowbeam on when highbeam is activated ? How do I know if my truck has what's needed for the highbeam auto dim ?

4. I have the chrome capped power folding tow mirrors with puddle lights, is there a power folding feature to deploy them into towing position ?

TIA for any help and to those who have contributed to this thread.

If there is anyone in the SF Bay Area who is willing to help or share info please HMU.

View attachment 209046 View attachment 209047 View attachment 209049
1. That button you’ve been pressing, which you thought was the fog light button, is actually the cargo lamps on the third brake light. The amber indicator in the cluster tells you they are on.
2. That D on the headlight switch IS the fogs, and that’s what you push to turn them on.
3. You have factory projectors. The low beam bulb is in the projector, and the high beam bulb is in the inboard reflector portion. Both bulbs should be on when the high beams are switched on.
4. You need to have mirrors that are capable of power fold, along with the correct door modules and master driver door switch with the power fold button.

Caboverbob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well ****.........thx jimmy07 ! Upon further investigation, fog lamps only work with parking lights on, can this be changed with AlfaOBD ?

My mirrors are power fold in/out, can they be enabled to fold up/down into/out of tow position also with AlfaOBD ?

Last edited:

oe542bob

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi eTorque 5.7
Caboverbob, no button to deploy them to trailer tow position.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Upon further investigation, fog lamps only work with parking lights on, can this be changed with AlfaOBD ?
The parking/running lights have to be on for the fogs to turn On/Off. You could set the fog as the DRLs, they will turn on when the truck is in gear and parking brake is not set. If you have the 8.4 radio you can use AlfaOBD to enable the option to turn the DRLs On/Off
Check the first post in the AlfaOBD in the Known Working List for the DRL settings.

Last edited:

SR71RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Thanks. I was thinking the same thing. I appreciate your help...

Now if I could figure out how to disable the evic backlights when the headlights are off I'd be an ultra happy camper...

Who knows. Might have more questions once I put in the RA4.

Thanks Again everyone

Yes, no dice.

I don't believe so. Some of the earlier 7" clusters I believe actually had issues with accruing hours.

If I'm not mistaken though the mileage/hour failure is a communication speed issue. My cluster is a 2013 as well but was corrected by Dominic at TVandNavToGo several years ago. Maybe he can correct it for you although it maybe cheaper now with AlfaOBD to just get a different cluster.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Thanks. I was thinking the same thing. I appreciate your help...

Now if I could figure out how to disable the evic backlights when the headlights are off I'd be an ultra happy camper...

Who knows. Might have more questions once I put in the RA4.

Thanks Again everyone

Yes, no dice.

There are some police package options that might do this but I'm not sure. I too would be interested if you figured it out.

LuisM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Question maybe someone can answer I upgrade my Evic to the 7Inch and all was good I added fog lights and that's about it but I have noticed the my TPMS screen is no longer there is there a chance Ive done something to turn it off I disconnected the battery to reset no luck and help would be appreciated

Richmond2000

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There are some police package options that might do this but I'm not sure. I too would be interested if you figured it out.

the police lighting feature allows you to dim ALL interior lights to "OFF" but some relay clicks "differently" when locking/unlocking doors could NOT find any other change but only had it active for a day or 2 and reverted back
there is also military lighting BUT I have NOT tried that option

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
the police lighting feature allows you to dim ALL interior lights to "OFF" but some relay clicks "differently" when locking/unlocking doors could NOT find any other change but only had it active for a day or 2 and reverted back
there is also military lighting BUT I have NOT tried that option
So are you saying there was a problem with it on and using the power-lock doors?

SamP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
So I just got a 2020 2500 with the 12" screen and I'm going to throw some bigger tires on it - does AlfaOBD work on the new trucks? I used it just fine on my last truck but I'm not seeing much here on the new trucks. Maybe I'm just bad at searching...any help would be appreciated!

SkylarMelo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi folks.

Got a 2011 Ram 1500, 5.7. I had originally tested the AlphaOBD demo app with my FIXD scanner tool before buying the full fledged app. My test was basically just that I could connect to the tool in the app. Now that I bought the app, and have connected the FIXD tool successfully (after some failed attempts), testing functions of the computer, like turning on the horn, or lights, works perfectly, but when it comes to the reconfiguration options in the body computer, all don't seem to set the option successfully, ending with an "interface received unknown status" error. Has anyone used the FIXD tool with AlphaOBD? Should I just buy a $20 Veepeak scanner instead?

Thanks

diboblo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi folks.

Got a 2011 Ram 1500, 5.7. I had originally tested the AlphaOBD demo app with my FIXD scanner tool before buying the full fledged app. My test was basically just that I could connect to the tool in the app. Now that I bought the app, and have connected the FIXD tool successfully (after some failed attempts), testing functions of the computer, like turning on the horn, or lights, works perfectly, but when it comes to the reconfiguration options in the body computer, all don't seem to set the option successfully, ending with an "interface received unknown status" error. Has anyone used the FIXD tool with AlphaOBD? Should I just buy a $20 Veepeak scanner instead?

Thanks
OBDLink MX is what the developer recommends and what those of us with high success rates are using.

I would suggest going that route.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

WY-Dave

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500
Engine
6.7 CTD
Hi folks.

Thanks

A friend who had a garage and ordered all kinds of the Amazon/EBay cheapo readers over the years . He basically was giving them away anytime someone used his services.

When I went down the Alpha OBD road, I started with the AEV bypass setup (2018HD) that my nephew had bought for his Jeep. He didn't need it but he purchased the kit for the new Jeeps that had it in and gave it to me. The first friend brought over a 12ft3 box loaded with all kinds of cheapo readers. Some would connect, like in your case, and was able to perform the tests. But when went into config change mode, not a single one would work using the AlphaOBD demo. So I bought the full blown version and still no dice. I have some contacts that used the AEV bypass and they said it worked fine with the OBDLink MX. I have been able to do some plain items, turn on the hidden truck alarm (main reason for starting down the road), changed CHMSL to LEDs and one other thing I can't think of right now.