Alternator suddenly went dead on my 2020 Ram 1500 Classic

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Paulos G

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Ram 1500 Warlock
Engine
V-6 3.6 Liter 24-Valve
Last Saturday night after I drove 15 miles from seeing a friend, next day Sunday morning, my pickup suddenly wouldn't start when I tried to park it out onto my driveway from inside my garage. I assumed a dead battery but I owned this 2020 Ram 1500 Classic Warlock less than 3 years and only put in 14,000 miles on it. I tried to jumpstart the battery from my other vehicle later in the morning and it wouldn't start. I called AAA battery service to see if they can start it. Hours later the AAA guy tried and couldn't start it. So he had a portable device to see where the electrical problem is; from Alternator to blowned fuses. He told me from his portable voltmeter device he carries that my vehicle battery is fine. He showed me that there is no power coming from the alternator and needs to be taken to the Ram dealer to the serviced and its warranted. I owned it under 3 years and its way under 36,000 miles.

The problem is can it be towed out of my gargage? I know the vehicle has to be in neutral so that AAA can tow it. 2nd question, has the altnerators been happening in these vehicles lately? I live in Sun City Arizona where our hot summers take a toll on all vehicles here.

Attachments

• Battery Test results - Sept 12 2022.jpg
    Battery Test results - Sept 12 2022.jpg
    162.2 KB · Views: 12

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
First alternator problem in quite a while, it being still under warrantee I would have the dealer have it towed, usually these new battery's crap out about now.

OP
OP
P

Paulos G

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Ram 1500 Warlock
Engine
V-6 3.6 Liter 24-Valve
Update!!! I was able to push my pickup out of my garage by manually putting my pickup on neutral. Had to youtube it to find out how to put pickups on neutral if you have electronic transmission shifters on newer RAM pickups and electronic power goes dead and its locked on park. I had to use my flat tip screw driver to open the panel below the dash to the bottom left of the steering wheel and had to use a philips screw driver to unlock the latch and pull it out which I was able to move my pickup out of my garage to my parking area in front of my garage. AAA was able to tow it to Larry Miller Dodge of Peoria Arizona here. I was told by the service dealer that the power feed control between the battery and the alternator failed in my pickup. They have ordered the part to it and hopefully it wil be fixed by this weekend. My pickup is under warranty and will not cost me. But this is a lesson learn for everyone in here if your pickup suddenly goes dead and wonder if its the battery, alternator or the power charger unit between the battery and alternator. They need to re-engineer the Battery to Alternator much better to prevent this again.

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
That's a weird one.

I wonder if it was just a loose/bad connection.

I think dealer techs don't really get paid, especially under warranty, unless they swap a part, so they swapped the whole part.

OP
OP
P

Paulos G

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Ram 1500 Warlock
Engine
V-6 3.6 Liter 24-Valve
UPDATE NUMER 2, The real fault was found with a fuse - they tested and replaced the ignition system. Please see attachment of what they did to get my pickup to start from ignition. I'm learning now that so many faults can happen between the ignition-battery and alternator. Our vehicles are now becoming too sophisticated now and there is a big fuse box next to the battery and that's what they did as you seen what they did; replaced a fuse and did more wiring after so many electronic tests. My pick up now starts with no problems and I hope this doesn't happen again and hope this doesn't happen to anyone driving all of these type of newer vehicles.

Attachments

• Invoice of Service for Electrical fault.jpg
    Invoice of Service for Electrical fault.jpg
    204.7 KB · Views: 30