Another Hemi MPG thread?? Well, yes, but I need specific information

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

andymax

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would sure appreciate feedback from those that regularly run highways. I am considering moving out of an EcoDiesel Grand Cherokee and into a hemi Ram 1500. Of course I will get worse mpg. I run a LOT of highway miles so highway MPG is important, but not the only consideration. I would like to ask those that run a lot of highway miles in your 4WD hemi what sort of mileage you typically get.

PLEASE - dont tell me your 'best' mpg number or your overall average...I need your 'typical highway number' and the speed you typically run to get your MPG. If you don't pay specific attention to your highway-only mpg I totally get that.

I don't care which rear end ratio you have, nor which trim level, but I'm only focusing on 4WD numbers.

Thanks for your help...

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have the 3.92 gears in my 4WD hemi CCSB and I can get 18mpg out on the highway. Here lately since I haven’t been doing much highway driving, just to and from work which is around five miles round trip and around town, my average is about 12 to 13mpg. I do have a heavy foot, though. It’s neither here nor there that I have a really good sounding exhaust that may or may not contribute to the poorer fuel economy but I’m satisfied with my mileage. I opted for the lower rear end gears because event though I don’t tow heavy enough to get nowhere close to my maximum trailer weight pulling capacity of nearly 11,000 pounds, I like the lower gears for quicker accelerations.

If you opted for the same truck but with the 3.21 gears, you’ll get a lot better mileage. A lot of guys have reported over 20mpg with those gears out on the highway so it will ultimately come down to your driving style and how fast you drive out on the open road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I have gotten 24+ mpg, but that was with effort (driving just above speed limit, 103 km/h or so) for 3 hours. 3.21 rear end, 4x4. I regularly get 20+ mpg without that much effort, just not stabbing the pedal etc. If you're one of these guys that likes to be in the left lane the whole time, you won't see 20 mpg.

Why not get a Ram ED instead of the hemi? You drive that much you're pretty much the target customer.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Why not get a Ram ED instead of the hemi? You drive that much you're pretty much the target customer.

I second this part... if you want almost the same towing capacity as the Hemi and if fuel economy is that important then the EcoDiesel is where it’s at unless you just don’t want to deal with the DEF and the particulate filter on the exhaust and the regen and all that stuff that you can thank California for all that emissions crap that comes on modern diesels.

Then there’s the Pentastar V6 too. Still got pretty good power but a lot better gas mileage and no DEF, regen and diesel particulate filter.

And yes, gear ratio on the Hemi does matter because just like this dude I’m quoting, he claims to have gotten upwards of 24mpg with the 5.7 Hemi and the higher 3.21 gears.

Dennis2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2019 Ram Bighorn 4x4 with etorque. Winter driving at 70-75 mph on highway 17.5 mpg at its best. Highway towing 8.5. In the summer we got close to 19 mpg. In my opinion the etorque wasn’t worth the extra cost. This truck doesn’t even come close to what they advertised they lied. Numerous articles on the low mpg for this truck. You didn’t want to know about rear axle ratios but as the OP said it’s very important. BTY mine are 3.92.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
2019 Ram Bighorn 4x4 with etorque. Winter driving at 70-75 mph on highway 17.5 mpg at its best. Highway towing 8.5. In the summer we got close to 19 mpg. In my opinion the etorque wasn’t worth the extra cost. This truck doesn’t even come close to what they advertised they lied. Numerous articles on the low mpg for this truck. You didn’t want to know about rear axle ratios but as the OP said it’s very important. BTY mine are 3.92.

Who knows how conservative they were when they tested all that....lol and unless you drive it the way they did to get hose numbers, you’re not gonna have the same results they did. It’s kinda like those proclaimed mileage numbers on tires- unless you don’t do jackrabbit accelerations, hard braking/hard cornering.....ever, little to no gravel roads and maintain like crazy the proper air pressure and keep them rotated, you’re not gonna get the mileage that they claim they should last.

The idea behind the ETorque was to get more power without needing more gas to do it. You essentially have a battery powered motor that helps spin the engine so even before it’s debut, I never expected it to yield better mileage; now the start/stop stuff- if you do a lot of stop/go city driving, I expected that to help mileage but the thought of my motor shutting off and restarting every time I stop just doesn’t vibe with me.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Your question focused on MPG, so things like gears matter. If that is your primary concern, you want a short bed single cab high geared 2wd v6 or eco diesel (if that configuration exists). Everything you add in from there decreases potential MPG. If there are more options that are must-have, or if you can share how you intend to use the truck, you might get more focused, real-world data from people who have similar optioned trucks. Good luck.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The other thing to consider is whether or not you truly need 4WD because even though the way our 4WD systems work is nice without having to fiddle with auto-locking hubs or twist-style hubs that could keep you stuck if you didn’t engage 4WD or spin your hubs in before you needed four-wheel, having that luxury comes at the cost of fuel economy because of the extra drag associated with the axle shafts and most of your front diff turning from your front wheels. It actually robs quite a bit. I know a gal that used to have pretty much the same pickup as my old 2008 1500 but since hers was a 2WD, her gas mileage was about 2.5 mpg better than mine. Dodge/Ram has always had that problem because the front axles have stayed virtually the same for a very long time.

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
I regularly get around 20 on my laramie and I cruise around 70-75 mostly..headwinds or hilly terrain may knock me down to 18-19 but mpg on this truck is plenty good for what it is.

noodles

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I would sure appreciate feedback from those that regularly run highways. I am considering moving out of an EcoDiesel Grand Cherokee and into a hemi Ram 1500. Of course I will get worse mpg. I run a LOT of highway miles so highway MPG is important, but not the only consideration. I would like to ask those that run a lot of highway miles in your 4WD hemi what sort of mileage you typically get.

PLEASE - dont tell me your 'best' mpg number or your overall average...I need your 'typical highway number' and the speed you typically run to get your MPG. If you don't pay specific attention to your highway-only mpg I totally get that.

I don't care which rear end ratio you have, nor which trim level, but I'm only focusing on 4WD numbers.

Thanks for your help...

City 13 mpg and open highway 18 mpg

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
14 city 18 almost 19 hwy. mud tires and all. 6 speed truck that needs maintenance.

msedly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have gotten 24+ mpg, but that was with effort (driving just above speed limit, 103 km/h or so) for 3 hours. 3.21 rear end, 4x4. I regularly get 20+ mpg without that much effort, just not stabbing the pedal etc. If you're one of these guys that likes to be in the left lane the whole time, you won't see 20 mpg.

I've got a 2019 Big Horn 4x4 e-torque with 3.21 gears. I drive the speed limit most of the time and consistently get 25 mpg on the highway (hand calculated). Anything over 65 mph is exponentially worse. 70 mph usually averages 21-22. It seems like 65 is the sweet spot for me. I average around 20 mpg with an 75/25 mix hwy/city.

I agree that you're the target customer for the eco diesel. If you don't want to shell out the money, the 5.7 isn't all that bad on the highway.

E-torque isn't going to make that much of a difference with mostly highway driving. I bought my truck with 17k on the clock. E-torque wasn't a selling point for me, but it does help a little bit in traffic and city driving. If I had to buy another truck tomorrow it probably wouldn't have it for simplicity. I have no idea how it's going to fare long-term. I'm at 43k now and haven't had any issues yet (knock on wood).

Donutsahoy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
I second this part... if you want almost the same towing capacity as the Hemi and if fuel economy is that important then the EcoDiesel is where it’s at unless you just don’t want to deal with the DEF and the particulate filter on the exhaust and the regen and all that stuff that you can thank California for all that emissions crap that comes on modern diesels.

Then there’s the Pentastar V6 too. Still got pretty good power but a lot better gas mileage and no DEF, regen and diesel particulate filter.

And yes, gear ratio on the Hemi does matter because just like this dude I’m quoting, he claims to have gotten upwards of 24mpg with the 5.7 Hemi and the higher 3.21 gears.

I third this, ED in a 1500 is a sweet deal, I loved mine. With KO2s I was consistently getting 24 on highway. Averaged 550-600 miles per tank. If it’s a lot of highway driving then I doubt you’ll run into issues with Regen or anything.

Sportznut

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I regularly get around 20 on my laramie and I cruise around 70-75 mostly..headwinds or hilly terrain may knock me down to 18-19 but mpg on this truck is plenty good for what it is.

Same here

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Farmer Fran

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited Loaded - Sold
21 mpg on hilly highways going between 65 and 75 mph

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 5.7L Non E-torque. Only mods that alter is a better Air Filter (AFM) (not cold air kit) and Full Cover Back tonneau. I also have Meatier tires, not stock, as in I have Falken Wildpeak AT3W tires on truck, not the balloon SRA stuff.

In town driving, 13-18 average. On the Highway, 17-21. Highway driving conservative, stay under 70 mph. I find the sweet spot is ne thing under 70. In TX, a few roads have 85 mph limit. If I am cruising on them, then I be in the 82-90 mph speed, and mileage goes down to 17-18 MPG, but U get there quicker, LOL...

It's all in how U maintain and drive and any alterations U do (like air box/level/tires etc). All IMHO.....

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
stop and go traffic will kill your average because 1st gear is really low.