Anyone changed their Coolant Bypass Valve?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

blkbaretta

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hi guys,
I keep getting a P026AB code indicating my coolant bypass valve is stuck/failed/etc.

At this point I think my factory warranty is up on my 2014 Ram, so I'm wondering if anyone has changed their own valve and had this error code go away?

The valve costs a couple hundred bucks so I would rather not do trial and error on this if there is a possibility the valve change won't fix the problem.

Anyone have experience with this?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
well, the code indicates a bad valve. I'd bet there is a 110% chance the parts chuckers at a dealer would want to replace that valve.

I'd replace the valve. Though, technically, it could be something else. My Jeep was throwing a coolant temp sensor code. I replaced the sensor. Didn't fix it. lol

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
There is a flash update for that code you're getting. However anytime I've worked on a truck with that code, very rarely did the flash actually fix it. Usually the valve needs to be replaced.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
well, the code indicates a bad valve. I'd bet there is a 110% chance the parts chuckers at a dealer would want to replace that valve.

I'd replace the valve. Though, technically, it could be something else. My Jeep was throwing a coolant temp sensor code. I replaced the sensor. Didn't fix it. lol

Thats why I don't just throw parts at codes. Waste of time and the customers money.

OP
OP
B

blkbaretta

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks guys - I've read mixed comments about the software update fixing the problem. That's why I was considering biting the bullet to just change the valve...

BadRam14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks guys - I've read mixed comments about the software update fixing the problem. That's why I was considering biting the bullet to just change the valve...

I had the same error in my 2014 and after two attempts they finally got the update to take. It didn't come back on for quite a while then just the other day after I got on it pretty hard at a light the code came back on. Then it went off and hasn't come back since. If it comes back on again I will be taking it back and having the dealer change it out this time.

v10enomous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have this code for the second time... Has this actually caused any real problem ? Any New updates on this... Mine's a 2014 5.7.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Chances are if you have that code, the valve is faulty.

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I would think the only feedback to indicate if this 3-way valve is in the right position is set by some type of limit switch built into the valve. If the computer is calling for the valve to change position and the switch isn't satisfied, the trouble code is set. Like said, unless you have some way to free up these valves and get them moving smoothly, the only fix is replace it.

All this 3-way valve does is bypass the heater core. I assume to save energy by reducing pumping losses or to prevent heat transfer into the cab when the HVAC is not set to heat mode. There's no harm in running with a faulty coolant bypass valve.

Last edited: