Bed lights, puddle lights, flush mount reverse light install (PIC heavy)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

firebuff17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ufokillerz:
I hear yea on cutting the bumper. I am trying to work up the courage to do the same thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

lokal907ryder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
im about to install some led light strip I got off amazon. im going to tap into the trailer harness for constant power then ground to the frame. im just going to hook them up to a toggle inside the bed, im going to add a fuse of course but my question is do I need to add a relay? I don't feel like the leds draw enough power to need a relay when just hooked up to constant power and not on the dome circuit. anybody know for sure if I need a relay or not?

firebuff17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No relay needed if your tapping the trailer harness. You'll be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lokal907ryder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
ok cool thanks guys! I don't mind the work to run a relay. just seemed over kill to me if I was using the trailer harness.

OP
OP
sbarron

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
ok cool thanks guys! I don't mind the work to run a relay. just seemed over kill to me if I was using the trailer harness.

The reason I used a relay, (two in fact) was to be able to isolate/combine the individual circuits to use the reverse lights as puddle/approach lights as well.

PCT

2019 2500 6.4
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Not to resurrect this... I'm looking to add a grill guard and use another form post, ill look for it and post it. But I'm going to tap into the factory fog light system and run it like that because my truck didn't come with foglight inserts in the bumper. But on the grill guard I would like to run a light bar or 2, and going through this and your other forum, I don't know exactly what everything your saying is. when I do this my neighbor is electrical genius.

Anywho is there a chance you could put a shopping list for generic parts that you use, like your box, what relays and pig tails you use for various applications. If possible I don't want to be an annoying bird. Only if you have time.

Mr.Asmith9

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
Engine
6.4L V8 Hemi
... is there a chance you could put a shopping list for generic parts that you use, like your box, what relays and pig tails you use for various applications...

Can I get the specifics on what box you sourced for your distribution center on top of the fuse box?

Here's some of what you requested. If you haven't read through both SBarrons threads I strongly recommend you do so and I don't mean just his OP and a comment or two, you'll get a lot of additional information from my questions he's already answered and others.

You can also check out my build thread where I've done a fair amount of wiring myself all based off SBarrons information.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my cellular with horrible auto correct using Tapatalk.

PCT

2019 2500 6.4
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Here's some of what you requested. If you haven't read through both SBarrons threads I strongly recommend you do so and I don't mean just his OP and a comment or two, you'll get a lot of additional information from my questions he's already answered and others.

You can also check out my build thread where I've done a fair amount of wiring myself all based off SBarrons information.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my cellular with horrible auto correct using Tapatalk.

Awesome thanks, i read through it all last night, if you told me where and what todo with wiring i can do it, but when it comes to customization, i dont know much of anything haha

Stewi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Excellent work man. I really like what you did with the fuse box. I was just researching fuse and relay boxes like that this morning.

OP
OP
sbarron

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Thanks guys.

PCT, the part numbers are all in the beginnings of either this thread or the other:
http://www.ramforum.com/f41/led_light_bar_pods_install_behind_grill_bumper-63186/

As for any questions, no problem trying to help. I'm sure there are other more efficient ways to wire things up than I do. I was after two criteria:
1. As little impact to OEM parts, (dash, wiring, etc) as possible, and
2. As bulletproof as possible.

If your truck didn't have the factory fogs, you may want to check if the wiring harness and switch is there. The factory fog switch works by pushing he headlight switch. If you don't have this style switch, you likely don't have the existing OEM fog light wiring, and the easiest thing to do would to wire it up completely independent of anything else. If you DO have this switch, you'll still need to verify tat the OEM fog light wiring is installed and available to tap into.

Underarock13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Ram 2500 14
Engine
6.4 hemi
To get to the driver side door harness how did you remove the trim and carpet? I don't want to break anything.

Underarock13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Ram 2500 14
Engine
6.4 hemi
Awesome. Ordering a set off Amazon now. Where do you start?

OP
OP
sbarron

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
If I remember correctly, there's an end piece, (maybe two?) that need to come off first. I'm in Russia right now so can't go out and look at my truck.

bspink

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
This is a great thread and recommendations but as said the notion of cutting the rear bumper isn't something to take lightly. Has anyone used the SuperBright LED flush mount backup light as an option. From what I can tell it would only require drilling, at max, three holes (two mounting, one for wires). I think any gaps around the mounting area could be shimmed with caulk or a rubber grommet.

https://www.superbrightleds.com/mor.../4581/#tab/Accessories/subtab/all_accessories

OP
OP
sbarron

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
This is a great thread and recommendations but as said the notion of cutting the rear bumper isn't something to take lightly. Has anyone used the SuperBright LED flush mount backup light as an option. From what I can tell it would only require drilling, at max, three holes (two mounting, one for wires). I think any gaps around the mounting area could be shimmed with caulk or a rubber grommet.

https://www.superbrightleds.com/mor.../4581/#tab/Accessories/subtab/all_accessories

Those look ok. Lots of options out there. I went with the Rigid theme, lol

Th rigid lights come with a gasket as I'm sure some other brands do as well. Another important thing is to protect the exposed metal after you make your cuts.

w6pea

U.S.Marine Corps Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 2500 "Laramie" 4x2 CC/LB SRW 6.7L CTD Leer 122 Campershell
Engine
6.7L IL6 Cummins Turbo Diesel
Subscribed &&&&Bump&&&&

kegger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 pentastar
OK so I'm adding reverse lights. I know to tap into the 7pun for the lights to come on while in reverse. Now id like them to come on with the cargo light button (white/tan). Can I just run a wire from there and tap into the power side of the lights and have it work or is there something else I need to do?

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I don't know what exactly you need but if you do it that way you may end up with reverse and cargo lights that turn on together.

I believe you need a 3 way switch somewhere to isolate power.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk