Bed lights, puddle lights, flush mount reverse light install (PIC heavy)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rzrman328

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
OK so I'm adding reverse lights. I know to tap into the 7pun for the lights to come on while in reverse. Now id like them to come on with the cargo light button (white/tan). Can I just run a wire from there and tap into the power side of the lights and have it work or is there something else I need to do?

Not to hijack but just some info on how I did mine...

http://www.ramforum.com/f41/so_i_had_idea-78927/

Edit: and everything still works fine :)

Last edited:

firebuff17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Rzrman beat me to it.
You could use the reverse light feed and put a diode after the power tap and before your pods. Then also tap your cargo and put a diode between the cargo tap and your feed for the pods.
In theory the lights should work as you wish. Pods on with cargo lights switch. Then when you put it in reverse you should get pods. No back feeding and the possibility to fry any electrical/computer components in your truck.
Don't forget the fuse leading to your pods!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
sbarron

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
You will need a diode or your reverse lights will also come on with the cargo lights. I went even more bulletproof and added two relays, probably not necessary, but there is exactly zero chance of any power going where I don't want it to.

kegger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 pentastar
What size diode would I need. If it's just inline on the power wire it's easy enough to wire in.

OP
OP
sbarron

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
a little larger than the amperage of the load you want to put on it.

kegger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 pentastar
a little larger than the amperage of the load you want to put on it.

It'll just be the two led pods that I'm going to be putting in the bumper. Not too sure how many amps they are or what kind of load they draw. But I also have led reverse bulbs and led cargo lights so in total not that many I'd think.

kegger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 pentastar
OK don't kill me but I've been looking for diodes and there are a bunch of them. What would you suggest I get!?

phantomgeo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummins
Puddle light install.

Using the low powered (200 Lumen) A-Series Rigid. My initial idea was to mount these to the RBP bars, but after playing with the lights and identifying shadows, etc, I found best place to mount them was actually on the frame. I used 2 per side.

Front A-Series puddle light/rock light passenger side. Thank God for right angle drills. Had to drill and tap holes in the frame to accept the stainless mounting screws. Helpful hint: make sure you have a good sharp cobalt drill bit. Drivers side mirrored.

Rear puddle light/rock light passenger side. Drivers side mirrored. Photo also shows plug that enter bottom of cab into storage compartments. There are two plugs on both drivers and passenger sides. 2nd wire shown is bed lights wire coming from rear of truck.

Lighting test. Hard to tell from photo, but steps are actually lit fairly well. Small shadow on drivers side from parking brake cable. Passenger side has no shadow.

Are the approach lights triggered and work like the bed lights installed or do they work more like the original puddle lights?
When I tap into the white w/tan wire everything would work as the bed light does.

OP
OP
sbarron

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
That's correct. The approach lights work like the bed lights, I.e come on with the unlock on the key fob.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Are the approach lights triggered and work like the bed lights installed or do they work more like the original puddle lights?
When I tap into the white w/tan wire everything would work as the bed light does.

The bed light works via switch or when the unlock button is used on the FOB, but not when the door is opened.
Thank you,
I thought I had misunderstood:happy107:

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
sbarron

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I do, just discouraging to have to start the thread again... lol...

Any in particular you're looking for?

RAMVT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I do, just discouraging to have to start the thread again... lol...

Any in particular you're looking for?

Posts 8, 9 and 10.

I definitely don't have much experience with electrical components so pictures help lol. It's all good though if you don't want to go back through.

VishalOnboard

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for this @sbarron ... Now I have to order more lights . Would it be possible to get the pics too? Specifically where you tapped into the tan wire and reverse wires. Also any photos showing the relay switches along with the positive and negative bus bars. Can these be replaced with the Blue Seas fuse block (instead of using separate bus bars.

I have a Switch Pros 9100 and was going to wire up some lights (scene lights) to it but using this method, I’ll can free up a button for something else. Also planning on using the blank button on my console for something but haven’t decided on what yet (ordered a spare panel to take apart to mock up a switch behind the blank).