Blackstone - used oil analysis

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hi all,

I dont have a RAM truck, but a 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee with the 5.7 Hemi and just got my first Blackstone lab report back. Truck has 121,000 miles. First 100k oil changes done at the Jeep dealer and the last four have been done wtih Penzoil Ultra Platinum 5w-20 with a RP oil filter. Changed the oil at 120k and went with PUP 5w-30. What do you guys think?

View attachment 184801
Looks great! Wear numbers are exactly what are expected on a seasoned 5.7.

Any ticking or other abnormal noises?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
As good as hemi wear gets with that PUP, looks like a decent sn+ oil as well for guys with di's.

Gero

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Knowing what you guys know now, would you all still get a ram despite the hemi's cam/lifter flaw?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Knowing what you guys know now, would you all still get a ram despite the hemi's cam/lifter flaw?

Hard question, I can say I love the ram drive and feel and that is huge for me. Getting old and broken down body, so this is way comfortable for me, but I like the power plant of the 90's fbody more. I like that the rfe is so buildable, and I love the coil back suspension, and imo the hay days for trucks is the last generation, I would have to say yes. But, I wont be a consumer for a new ram ever, just a 4 gen with the rfe, for me personally, unless I go to a HD.

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
After having owned several GM's and a Ford right before jumping to RAM in 2015 I'm willing to take the risk considering how much better this truck rides than just about any other vehicle I've ever owned and that includes cars and SUV's. It rides considerably better than my wifes 2016 Explorer. It's doubtful that I will ever buy another new GM product ever again and the F150 is just too damn expensive not to mention I hate the idea of them redesigning everything like every three years.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
That's m feeling, never gm again and Ford is too expensive and they handle like a dump truck. And anything out of big 3 for full size is least attractive purchase.

Gero

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'd still buy a ram despite this potential issue. I think using good synthetic 5w30 will surely extend the life of the hemi and I'm confident it will hit 300k miles with good maintenance. I love the hemi power and the zf8hp70 and I like how heavy and planted the truck is for a half ton.

J's_Sport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Latest UOA using PUP 5w-20 and Wix Xp. The results are not much different than the dealer oil that I had been using prior to the switch, which I believe is a Castrol blend. Not sure how I feel about that. Engine is still noisy but I think that’s just 5w-20. In spring I will be changing to 5w-30.

Happy Thanksgiving!

5D2104AA-147E-43D4-88B7-53536F8C3C61.jpeg

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Thanks for posting, those aren't great numbers considering the low miles on interval, but I would wager better then average hemi numbers. I hope you run 5w30 PUP for a little longer run, maybe 5k miles, and do a uoa, that would be huge help to you for maybe settling on an oil. If the wear isn't better, you can go back to 20 weight for cold flow, but if the wear is way better, maybe you just run 5w30. My wife's SUV I swear sounds best on PUP 5w30, it is a rattle trap on everything else, even qsud 5w30. It was quiet at first on qsud, but became rattly not long after I changed. PUP 5w30 is just butter smooth throughout the oci. I don't really have a theory on it, I just know it aint broke so I aint gonna fix it.

J's_Sport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks Burla, I am just going by what Blackstone recommended for intervals. I hope to be 5k from here on out. I will be out of the power train warranty in spring so I will have no problem going 5w-30. Just playing it cautiously while I’m under warranty. Interesting about PUP quieting down your wife’s suv. My wife has a ‘16 Mazda CX-9 and it is mind blowing how much that 4cyl turbo engine taps. I use the factory recommendation of Castrol Edge 5w-30. I will give a PUP a run in that. It’ll be nice to have 1 oil on the shelf versus 2 different oils and weights.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Thanks Burla, I am just going by what Blackstone recommended for intervals. I hope to be 5k from here on out. I will be out of the power train warranty in spring so I will have no problem going 5w-30. Just playing it cautiously while I’m under warranty. Interesting about PUP quieting down your wife’s suv. My wife has a ‘16 Mazda CX-9 and it is mind blowing how much that 4cyl turbo engine taps. I use the factory recommendation of Castrol Edge 5w-30. I will give a PUP a run in that. It’ll be nice to have 1 oil on the shelf versus 2 different oils and weights.

So you probably don't want to run PUP in a turbo as it isn't sn+ friendly. You want to look for oils high in moly but also sn+ meaning low CA. For the long term avoiding lspi always look for sn+. When gf-6 hits you likely wont have to worry about it because gf-6 will all likely be low CA high MAG, but until then look for sn+ certified oils, not just SN but you need the +. When gf-6 drops at least see if they are di friendly, I'm just assuming at this point they will be.

J's_Sport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So you probably don't want to run PUP in a turbo as it isn't sn+ friendly. You want to look for oils high in moly but also sn+ meaning low CA. For the long term avoiding lspi always look for sn+. When gf-6 hits you likely wont have to worry about it because gf-6 will all be low CA high MAG, but until then look for sn+ certified oils, not just SN but you need the +.

Thank you for the info!

clint440

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
upload_2019-12-4_9-12-40.png

Here is my oil sample using Amsoil SS 5/20 with the bigger style Amsoil filter. Also using Amsoil conical air filter vs. the KN.

2019HEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hi guys I'm new to the forum. I bought a 2019 Ram 1500 Classic 5.7 Hemi 4x4 Quad Cab. I currently have 4,100 miles on it. I will be taking it to the dealer for the first oil change. I plan to do it at 5k miles. I've read through this whole thread and I really don't know what I'm looking at with these UOA. Is Pennzoil Platinum a good choice of oil to run in my ram? I have no idea what choices they will have at the dealer or what they will suggest. I guess they will probably do the changes till the 60k power train is over with. Thanks for any input.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Hi guys I'm new to the forum. I bought a 2019 Ram 1500 Classic 5.7 Hemi 4x4 Quad Cab. I currently have 4,100 miles on it. I will be taking it to the dealer for the first oil change. I plan to do it at 5k miles. I've read through this whole thread and I really don't know what I'm looking at with these UOA. Is Pennzoil Platinum a good choice of oil to run in my ram? I have no idea what choices they will have at the dealer or what they will suggest. I guess they will probably do the changes till the 60k power train is over with. Thanks for any input.

Sadly few oils cert the fca spec, if you look at the poll of what ram forum uses pennzoil is the most popular and is likely one of the if not the best choice for the hemi. Might want to consider PUP as well, but PP would keep your warranty worries away, keep receipts and log into in a book. PUP is cheap in the amazon, I buy it regularly for around 20 bucks a 5 liter jig, when it's on sale as in several times a year, I just stock up. It's only 25 bucks right now, plenty worth that. 5 dollars a qrt for PUP, worth it x2.