Blackstone - used oil analysis

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

texan279

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
$16/gallon oil with 150mL of MSo2 added

View attachment 197549

Awesome. Proof that we don't need fancy high dollar oil. Most of the time, just paying for the big name and fancy label. I'm curious how long you've been using this oil? And were you using a different oil prior? If so, did you notice any changes when you made the switch?

Tim Garceau

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport Quad BSP
Engine
3.92 8 Speed 5.7 4X4
Awesome. Proof that we don't need fancy high dollar oil. Most of the time, just paying for the big name and fancy label. I'm curious how long you've been using this oil? And were you using a different oil prior? If so, did you notice any changes when you made the switch?

It was my second 5k mile interval with
it using same exact RP filter. Been using in the wife’s car for a year and so figured I’d test it in the truck and have it analyzed.

Price went up a few dollars recently however.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi

In a proper running engine random group 3's are as good as the next, but this forum is way past proving the benefit of hearty formulas over random group 3's in many hem's. You can read the redline hemi tick thread, most of "us" had a random group 3 and the engine ticked, we replaced it and the engine no longer ticks. This result was replicated nearly 100 times with a very high %. I'm kinda doubting scotty kilmer took part in this forum and read every experience. if he did, I would bet he would have a different opinion, especially if it was his hemi that stopped knocking.

texan279

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
In a proper running engine random group 3's are as good as the next, but this forum is way past proving the benefit of hearty formulas over random group 3's in many hem's. You can read the redline hemi tick thread, most of "us" had a random group 3 and the engine ticked, we replaced it and the engine no longer ticks. This result was replicated nearly 100 times with a very high %. I'm kinda doubting scotty kilmer took part in this forum and read every experience. if he did, I would bet he would have a different opinion, especially if it was his hemi that stopped knocking.

I am not implying Redline is bad or doesn't work. In fact, did you watch the video? He actually said that Redline is a great oil. All he said was that the Amazon oil had a higher rating by the API than Redline did. He said he used the Amazon oil in his vehicle and customer's vehicles and it worked just as well as the name brand oils he has used. I think the proof is in the pudding with @Tim Garceau 's oil analysis that Amazon oil is a good oil at a much lower price than the name brands.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I am not implying Redline is bad or doesn't work. In fact, did you watch the video? He actually said that Redline is a great oil. All he said was that the Amazon oil had a higher rating by the API than Redline did. He said he used the Amazon oil in his vehicle and customer's vehicles and it worked just as well as the name brand oils he has used. I think the proof is in the pudding with @Tim Garceau 's oil analysis that Amazon oil is a good oil at a much lower price than the name brands.

I accept what you said and what scotty said, but the API is not about making the best oil possible, any oil in 20 and 30 weights are reduced additives and now the latest resource conserving specs. So the api "determined" what is the best one size fits all oil, and "they" say low additive and low saps oil are the "best" choice for the hemi as well, of which I disagree. They had to make these oils to not gum up particulate filters and guard against lspi and conserve resources, among other goals. If that makes you feel warm and fuzzy and something you want in an application that is prone to have issues, then by all means the uoa looks great and it will likely serve you well.

Or, the option would be follow what the manu did when they made a hemi specific oil, they made it a 40 weight in order to skirt api regulations of 20 and 30 weight oils, and made them high moly and additives that would not work in the low saps and other sensitive applications. I just present both sides and say make an informed choice of a lubrication strategy, it most certainly isn't about any brand. There is a pdf in syn thread, probably hard to find, maybe you can look it up if interested further, research the api and the regulations on the thin oils, they excluded 40 weights because they consider that a HD oil and they want to make sure they didnt harm those applications with low additives. That very fact should tell you something.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Just as an example, redline has 2002 levels of what the api said was good back then for zddp, 1200ppm. Now, to get the newest api standard that level can't be higher then 800ppm or so. So you see the api is taking the protection out of oil. Is that the best strategy for a hemi? I honestly have no information if what this forum is doing is better or worse for hemi's, I can only say it is a strategy we use based on results of killing ticks. That many of us believe we had to do something more then run dumbed down formulas because of what we hemi owners deal with as far as cam/lifters. Maybe it worked, and maybe it didn't, but it is a very safe bet we did no harm to the situation despite the api thing. Who knows, maybe the low api protection has made these hemi's fail, that certainly is possible. Manu's and gov't goals and specs have let fca down in the past, that was the eco diesel debacle, what was their strategy after those bearing fails? change the oil weight.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Second test on my truck. Looking good. First test was redline 5w30 and a rp20-820 filter. This time was penzoil ultra platinum 5w30 and a fram ultra xg8a filter

DA5237A3-13FB-4193-9942-9DC60B2EAB81.png

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I'd rather pay more and not support Amazon. Don't need the Amazon monopoly taking over every industry.

Why Nick is so great, his prices beat amazon on redline anyhow, and he supports ram forum. One downside of PUP is distribution at any cost, just hard to find. Sad because it might be the best choice for a healthy hemi.

Adamcr68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemifever 5.7
Why Nick is so great, his prices beat amazon on redline anyhow, and he supports ram forum. One downside of PUP is distribution at any cost, just hard to find. Sad because it might be the best choice for a healthy hemi.
Hello Burla I have read all this post & have seen a lot of members defer to your advice as it’s easy to see you know your stuff. My truck is at 60274 miles, minor tick at start-up, bought truck at 52k so don’t know oil history I changed at 55k with Castrol syn. And K&n filter which has loosened up twice to leak. Do you still recommend rl 5w 30 & rp filter? I’m live NVA so get a mix of weather 100 & humid to 15 to w/ wind chills -0. I would appreciate your input & plan to send a sample to bs will post when I get it thank you for your time & commitment to this forum!

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Hello Burla I have read all this post & have seen a lot of members defer to your advice as it’s easy to see you know your stuff. My truck is at 60274 miles, minor tick at start-up, bought truck at 52k so don’t know oil history I changed at 55k with Castrol syn. And K&n filter which has loosened up twice to leak. Do you still recommend rl 5w 30 & rp filter? I’m live NVA so get a mix of weather 100 & humid to 15 to w/ wind chills -0. I would appreciate your input & plan to send a sample to bs will post when I get it thank you for your time & commitment to this forum!

That's how we roll at ram forum, everyone has some value to add. Huge development from another ram member that has transformed everything we know about hemi tick, I would encourage you to read last ten pages of sun thread, and pay attention to uncle tony's video.

So yes RP/Amsoil ea filters are still in favor with me, and so is 5w30 redline in warm regions, but I defer to @Hemi395 and @U&A for cold state testing because of some piston slap issues first validated by ram member Justin and then confirmed with these two guys.

So I believe 0w30 redline would be the ticket, and as long as that keeps the tick away, I'd run that all year. If you are on a twice a year interval, 5w30 in summer, 0w30 in winter. Regardless of tick condition this is now what I recommend simply from what I've seen in uncle tony's video. These hemi's need the types of things in the redline formula whether they tick or not. Those lifters have perpendicular force, as in all of them, so high moly at a minimum and ester will be more then helpful. Ask q's anytime bud

Adamcr68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemifever 5.7
That's how we roll at ram forum, everyone has some value to add. Huge development from another ram member that has transformed everything we know about hemi tick, I would encourage you to read last ten pages of sun thread, and pay attention to uncle tony's video.

So yes RP/Amsoil ea filters are still in favor with me, and so is 5w30 redline in warm regions, but I defer to @Hemi395 and @U&A for cold state testing because of some piston slap issues first validated by ram member Justin and then confirmed with these two guys.

So I believe 0w30 redline would be the ticket, and as long as that keeps the tick away, I'd run that all year. If you are on a twice a year interval, 5w30 in summer, 0w30 in winter. Regardless of tick condition this is now what I recommend simply from what I've seen in uncle tony's video. These hemi's need the types of things in the redline formula whether they tick or not. Those lifters have perpendicular force, as in all of them, so high moly at a minimum and ester will be more then helpful. Ask q's anytime bud
I saw that video on your syn. oil post regarding the poor oil distribution for the cam & lifters want to do change sooner than later will hit up Nic as soon as I can thanks again

dtru1222

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

How does the moly count in redline compare to amsoil ss? Do they use different versions? There was an SRT engineer in the challenger forums years ago that mentioned high moly is good for vvt function specifically so the higest moly I could find at the time was amsoil ss and been using that since.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Redline racing oil moly 880ppm
Redline high performance 500ppm moly we all use this
Redline professional series -0- ppm moly, don't use this
amsoil ss 250ppm

I dont know moly numbers on lower amsoil products, SS is high moly. Anything over 200ppm is great as far as moly goes.

dtru1222

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Redline racing oil moly 880ppm
Redline high performance 500ppm moly we all use this
Redline professional series -0- ppm moly, don't use this
amsoil ss 250ppm

I dont know moly numbers on lower amsoil products, SS is high moly. Anything over 200ppm is great as far as moly goes.

Thanks for the info. Do you know what type of moly is used in redline? There are different kinds which makes the numbers for "high/low" different. Tri-something is supposedly better and requires less ppm for the same effect. From what I remember reading years ago now, most oils that had high moly (300+) were using the base type so it gets hard to compare which is best.

Edit: Should have said highest instead of best, not trying to go down that rabbit hole lol

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I believe there was a post at BITOG fairly recently where a poster said Redline was for sure moTDC, which is Trialkyldithiocarbamate better known as tri nuclear moly. Dave from redline wont comment on formula, I wish I asked the question before 66 bought them, I'm sure I would have gotten an answer back then. The only thing he said was oil soluble moly, which can be either. Difference is tri nuclear moly is three sulfur and one molybdenum versus two sulfur and one molybdenum the other way.

Most of that paper deals with 75ppm moly level versus 200ppm standard moly level and with tri nuclear moly outperforms standard moly mainly in time of coefficient of friction is lessened, but at those levels similar coefficient of friction. Before getting too far off in the weeds, you seem satisfied with amsoil SS and as long as you aren't ticking, that is an excellent choice and I do believe that to me moTDC as well. If you ever get hemi tick believe the results of the forum, nothing like redline we have found and we have tested many oils including amsoil against it. However, Amsoil is a longer interval oil, easier on CATS, and probably will give you better uoa's. There is a good position for either oil, but once that thing starts ticking, it has to be the formula in redline that goes way past just moly level.