cam and lifter replacement gone wrong !!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dtdub34

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hello everyone. If this is wrong place to post or a repeat please point me in the right direction. Anyways I did the cam and lifters replacement due to cylinder 5 misfire and that lifter was trash and cam lobe gone. After replacement its running rough and I have ticking on the other side of the motor. I really think I set the timing wrong. And the ticking could be a bad lifter or I put a MSD one in the wrong place. Has anyone else had this problem?

WY.Ram

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Did You replace all lifters or just cylinder #5 ? I figure You did them all, but One of your Statements reads like there is a possibility that only Cylinder 5 got new lifters.
I do agree with the above post on Checking all procedures, I wish I could ninJa You an answer even a direction instead of "do it again", but with more info dudes here will lay down some nice Suggestions.
A couple things to think about ~ if All lifters were replaced the new tick on the opposite bank could be an exhaust leak, headers or manifolds ? New high quality gaskets through out the entire job ?
I haven't Changed mine Yet, So I'm not 100% dialed on the vvt Start up but I don't think It would start if Your timing Was off, maybe the firing Order has a couple cylinders out of order ?
I'm assuming Straight up OE replace ment cam and MDS lifters ?
Did You follow any proceedures from maintenance Manual or from here ? A member charonblk07 has a Step by Step write up On this exact procedure. Discusses In detail everything You Just did. Might be a good way to double Chk Your Work.
what's the truck mileage ? How bout Miles on plugs? Just Curious
One More~ I have read that Some documentation out there demonstrates the reassembly of the timing chain(With gear alignments Incorrect). I believe it is FCA docs as Well, so check the correct procedure in Charonblk07 's write up,
Good luck & don't hesitate to post every pertinent and non pertinent detail, it's in there Somewhere, it can't hide from RAMF, Not In the light, Not for long anyway [emoji57]

'16 Wagon Greene tune feed'n & fire'n 6.4L with 6spd 5.13 AAM, 37" KM3, -12mm Fuels Thuren Overland, DOR, Purple Cranium CAI, ARH, Solo Mach44 z36, EBC Custom vinyl AVS, 4% tint Morimoto, Rigid, Diode Dynamics AlfaOBD, Diablo, Nanny Kill, Locker bypass .................

OP
OP
Dtdub34

Dtdub34

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for all the info. Plugs are brand new. Just thought hell I have the heads out why not. All new OE replacement gaskets. Replaced all valves and cam OE Mopar. Tick was on #5 and now on the other side. This all started cause I heard a tick and I replaced the manifold on the passenger side then heard the tick on driver side and that lead me to the cam and lifters. I followed a different forum and a little bit of hayes manual the first time. After reading more here I see somethings are a little different. I'm going to start tomorrow with the redo. Thank God I'm working from home these days !!! Life saver or should I say truck saver !!!

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Wait, please.

This is nowhere near the first time someone had hemi tick after new cam/lifters. Can you post a video with audio? Ram Forum has proven we can kill hemi lifter tick with lubrication. So no codes now, no misfire? Just hemi tick?? You can pull it apart and put it together, and still have hemi tick, trust me. Tell us more about the tick, but try and post that audio. Did you use Cam grease on lifters on the install?

OP
OP
Dtdub34

Dtdub34

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I will try to post the video. Also forgot to say I have new codes. P0016 crankshaft position, camshaft position correlation Bank 1 senor A and P000B . B camshaft position slow response bank 1 . Tell me if you can see this video on YouTube

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Sounds like a very slight tick, could be exhaust, did you check the bolts on the manifold? Also, recordings of tick are better if you leave the recording device under the engine. The codes are the issue, not the tick imo. If it were me, I'd be inclined to do a reset and see if they appear again, did this already happen? You cleared them and they came back? If something was bent, it's already bent, but I'm not sure at all that is the case.

OP
OP
Dtdub34

Dtdub34

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Cleared and came back on next restart. Also still has a rough idle. Not super bad but i noticed it. Bent ? As in a push rod is bent ?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Bank 1 is drivers side right? And the tick is passenger side.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Cleared and came back on next restart. Also still has a rough idle. Not super bad but i noticed it. Bent ? As in a push rod is bent ?

Sorry my bad I didn't see in original post running rough. Yeah you will find out, gonna have to take it apart, especially the codes came back.

what is oil psi on evic? idle and at 2k rpm's?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
It says bank one, but you don't have a mis fire? It might just be that bank one is generic for that code.

OP
OP
Dtdub34

Dtdub34

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Either I don't know how or don't have the evic. My 2012 does not have the little window between the tac and speedo. Other than mileage and trip a and b and outside temp. Idles at 800

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Do you have arrow paddles on steering wheel?

OP
OP
Dtdub34

Dtdub34

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok guys I tore back into it. Removed the passenger side head and I had the MDS lifters in the wrong spot but all the lifters look fine so I reoiled them and reinstalled them. Tomorrow will be the oil pump off then make sure the timing is set right !

MoPowered

Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Nice, see that remember to alway’s measure twice and cut once. I was shown by my Grandfather when we rebuilt the inline six in his 66 Dart GT and we put everything on the bench on some cardboard and went top left to lower right on the tear down and reversed it from bottom right to top left on install and I still do that **** the same way 40 odd years later. He always said you can fix practically anything that way and it’s never failed me. Although I did wind up with a few extra parts now and then, lol.

OP
OP
Dtdub34

Dtdub34

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So the timing was off one link and I fixed that. Two of the MDS lifter in the wrong spot and I fixed that. Still have a tick on the passenger side of the truck. I know its not the manifold cause i replaced it 2 weeks ago and checked bolts again today. All is good. Looks like my next mess up was the oil. Mobil one synthetic 5w-20. Will order some redline today and put it in one i get it. The truck runs stronger than it ever has and all codes are gone. I let it set for 20mins running then drove around for about 30 mins. So bottom line truck runs great just have to stop the tick now.