Cam Bearings

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mairj40

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Has anyone ever replaced their cam bearings? I am rebuilding my engine, and I would like to put in fresh bearings. But, I don't see an easy way to get to the cam bearings, since the top of the engine is closed off as shown in the picture, and there isn't any way to really get at them from the bottom of the engine as well. Maybe I'm just missing something.shortblock.jpg

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
They are usually done by pulling them from block and dropping them out of the bottom of the engine with it removed from the vehicle. The puller is quite long and must come from the front or the rear if there is a freeze plug. Usually the puller is also used to pull the new ones into place. It is quite difficult to replace them with the engine in the vehicle.
We would mark them before removal to see the wear pattern. If the pattern indicated the the bores were not in alignment we would align hone the camshaft bores. Most engines had some alignment problems.

OP
OP
mairj40

mairj40

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the Info. I was looking at this block thinking that I'd like to replace them, but had no idea how.

Would there be any benefit to using a 6.1 cam in a 5.7?