Confused about changing 4X4 differential fluid 2016 Ram 5.7L

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

El Guapo Phil

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My 2016 Ram has 59k miles. I had the oil changed last week. The technician checked the front and read differentials. The fluid was clear and not tainted or burned in either. He said not to worry and to have it checked at 80k miles since I do not tow or haul.

Some threads say to change the fluids regardless. So what to do?

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Well, technically, yes. If you plan on keeping the truck to the bitter end, I would change it now.

Why? Because duty cycle and load factor isn't the only consideration in gear oil life. Time and humidity enter into it. First, you have break-in gear shavings circulating around the system. Not good for the ball bearings, eh?

Second, just as important, is how long it's been since oil change - these gear boxes have open breathers, allowing atmospheric moisture to absorb into the oil. Depending how humid your air and how long it's been determines how emulsified your oil gets. Water is not a lubricant! Plus it promotes rust on ferrous parts.

I change every 30k - 50k miles or 4 years. Just changed mine at 36k miles and 4 yrs. Oil started to turn milky (emulsified with water) and gear shavings. Runs smoother and quieter now. Nothing lasts forever without maintenance.

Retired Mobil Industrial Lubrication Engineer

SeppW

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
My 2016 Ram has 59k miles. I had the oil changed last week. The technician checked the front and read differentials. The fluid was clear and not tainted or burned in either. He said not to worry and to have it checked at 80k miles since I do not tow or haul.

Some threads say to change the fluids regardless. So what to do?

The OM says every 2 or 20K mile inspect, change if using for severe service.

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Check your manual. it states something along the lines of inspecting every 20k miles (unless severe service, police, towing, offorading etc), otherwise replace every 100k miles. I change mine every 30-35k miles cause i do a lot of offroad so i change all 3 fluids at the same time, front/rear diff and transfer case. transfer case oil should be change every 120k miles normal service, 60k severe service. I change that on my own since it's super easy.

GRN69CHV

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just had mine done at 68,000 miles. Shop only charged me $59.00/axle, thought it was cheap insurance. With exception of one trip on the beach in NC it has only been driven over the road or on gravel paved roads. I thought the differentials were noticeably quieter after having it serviced. Who knows. Doubt I would do this every 30,000, but think 60,000 mile intervals is practical.

Guga

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You’re going to change the diff oil 4-6 times over the lifecycle of the truck. I don’t see why not doing it to try to extend the gears’ life. It’s not expensive.