Connecting 7" cluster to computer?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ramtruckrob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This may sound a little crazy but I bought a replacement cluster for my truck because my original cluster flickers. No matter what I've tried, I have been unable to program the new clusters engine hours with alfaobd. The odometer lets me change it to what ever I want but the hours refuse to budge. Since I have the spare cluster, is it possible to connect it to a computer and maybe fire the hours to change some how? How do the companies that you send clusters to change the settings without a truck to plug it into?

Last edited:

DoughRat19

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
As long as you have a decent OBD device like the MX+ you should be able to flash it no problem assuming this is for a 2013+ 4th gen? Some people have had to try multiple times before they’ve gotten it to work though.

Assuming a company who flashes these probably has a bench setup to power the cluster up and connect to it. I just built a bench myself and I’m able to connect to the spare cluster I have.

OP
OP
R

ramtruckrob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
As long as you have a decent OBD device like the MX+ you should be able to flash it no problem assuming this is for a 2013+ 4th gen? Some people have had to try multiple times before they’ve gotten it to work though.

Assuming a company who flashes these probably has a bench setup to power the cluster up and connect to it. I just built a bench myself and I’m able to connect to the spare cluster I have.
I have tried about 20 times with my mx+ and Alfa OBD with no luck. I've let it sit over night after trying with no luck. I even chatted back and forth with the Alfa developer and he ran out of ideas too. What kind of power source do you use to connect to yours? Can you manually for things to change such as the engine hours and odometer? Can I send you my spare and have to change the hours? Lol. I tried to avoid paying someone and trying to guesstimate hours since I'd still need to drive my truck while I waited.

DoughRat19

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What year is your truck and what year is the cluster from?