Death of the V8 & birth of a.... Inline 6?

RandyMarionCDJR

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 V8 Hemi
I have seen so much about this upcoming engine. My main wonder isn't will it be a good motor, and make for a long lasting vehicle. I just want to know, how is the community going to receive/is receiving the death of the v8? What do you think about the future of CDJR products with this being the new "big dog" in town so to speak?

mikeru

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Which V6 are you referring to? Maybe it's a typo in your thread title. Everything I've read is saying the Hurricane inline 6 will be replacing the Hemi V8 in 1500's, not a V6.

There have been threads already, discussing this exact thing. Opinions have been very mixed as you can imagine. I'm of the opinion that substituting a smaller displacement forced induction engine to do the work of a larger displacement V8 is inadvisable. That a smaller engine will wear itself out faster than the V8 it's replacing. But that's my opinion. I hope I'm eventually proven wrong on that, because the Hurricane seems like a powerful, smooth running engine.

OP
OP
RandyMarionCDJR

RandyMarionCDJR

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 V8 Hemi
Thanks for advising here! My mistake on the thread title but this was what I was referencing.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I expect it to have flaws out of the gate because I don't trust any manufacturer to get it right the first time. This is endemic to our society now, and ranges from computer programs to firearms but companies do not properly test their creations in real world conditions and let the first wave of consumers beta test (and occasionally alpha test) on the consumer's dime. But it apparently works, because people scoop them up anyway.

Once it's had some time to work out, I'm not opposed to it. I'd be reasonably intrigued by a Gladiator with one, the HO would make an interesting competitor for the Ranger Raptor which Jeep has no answer for. The Bronco hasn't eaten more of the Wrangler's lunch mainly due to you just can't buy one, so while I'm not a potential Wrangler buyer I think that'd be a good application as well. I think it's an easier sell in a midsize (SUV or truck) and 1/2 ton trucks vs an HD truck. That said, in a 1/2 ton I'd still opt for the hemi unless the I6 had a significant power difference, no stop/start by default, and whoever-is-Chrysler-this-week warrantied the untried motor beyond the minimal 3/36k.

2012RAM1500RT

Supporting Member
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
You ask for an opinion so that's what I'm going to give, just my opinion........ To start with I am old school and a 6 cylinder anything has never and will never interest me. I don't mind a turbo on a diesel because I could care less what they sound like but I will always and only purchase an American V-8 till they are all worn out and don't exist anymore or the masses say I can't have them anymore which I won't care to be here if they end up having that power anyway. Pretty sure I'll be dust by then so I'm not worried, I'll keep enjoying my good sounding V-8 that I at least try to get the best fuel mileage out of it as I can. Once again, just MY opinion and hope it doesn't hurt anyone's feelings. I'll add that I've had 2 slant 6's (leaning tower of power)(that's a joke) in my life only long enough to get the vehicle I bought cheap home to change it over to a V-8. Then I'd give the slant 6 to someone that needed a boat anchor!

Last edited:

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
I'm a retired mechanical engineer with 32 years of powertrain design and application experience. I don't know everything, but turbos are ok for lightly loaded spark-ignited engines. Heavily loaded wears them out much faster than natural aspiration.

A NASCAR race engine, though naturally-aspirated, lasts app. 3 x 500 mile races (1,500 miles), because it is heavily loaded and runs @ high rpm. A top fuel drag engine with a blower lasts 36 seconds or app. 6 races.

The average consumer expects a car engine to last 200,000 miles, properly-maintained. By definition, spark-ignited engines are pressure-limited due to combustion initiation from a spark plug or two. So they can not be induction-boosted beyond a certain pressure without detonating (knock), blowing out the piston.

This is expected from a diesel, where the heat of the air is used to initiate combustion all over the fuel front. The extra pressure means they have to be built to contain it.

You don't get something for nothing in the real world.

bluebeast1562

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Like I said before, Stellantis could have went straight to EVs but they didn’t. At least they’re throwing us one last bone. I’m done with any company that only sells EVs.
I agree, no EV for me. As for the projected I6 replacing the Hemi V8, no thank you as well. I will never believe that anything less than 8 cylinders are good for the work that a truck does. Towing, hauling, what have you. I hope that my 2020 will last me quite awhile so I can use it as a truck, seeing as I am almost 52, perhaps I will not need a truck in the next 10 years to go my hauling.

Kickboxer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
This has been beat to death. The big reason that they are going to the new
I-6 is emissions. This new engine can meet the specs. easier than the Hemi.
The other thing is the EPA mileage requirements, hopefully the engine will be better than a V-8.
Probably more than half of the Rams and the other Jeep and Dodge vehicles
are driven like cars, no pulling. A new I-6 makes sense to me.
That being said, I hope it is a slow change to drop the Hemi from the order blank.
I think it will be available for a few years yet.