"Device Not Supported" message won't go away

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TomAce

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L I6 Cummins HO Turbo Diesel
Hey Everyone,
I'm getting a "Device Not Supported" message pop-up on my uconnect screen. I've never seen this before... Been using Android Auto just fine for 2 years. Then I let my wife borrow the truck yesterday for a couple hours (I know, that's my first mistake), and now this message won't go away. I close the popup, and it just comes back like 3 seconds later.

NOTHING is connected to the USB ports. I've tried a soft reset, removing all connected devices, unpaired all phones, but no success.

Any ideas out there?

Attachments

• 20230501_175605.jpg
    20230501_175605.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 30

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Hey Everyone,
I'm getting a "Device Not Supported" message pop-up on my uconnect screen. I've never seen this before... Been using Android Auto just fine for 2 years. Then I let my wife borrow the truck yesterday for a couple hours (I know, that's my first mistake), and now this message won't go away. I close the popup, and it just comes back like 3 seconds later.

NOTHING is connected to the USB ports. I've tried a soft reset, removing all connected devices, unpaired all phones, but no success.

Any ideas out there?
There is a new firmware update. Maybe it will address the issue...

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Check with the Mrs. to see what she tried to connect to your unit.

OP
OP
TomAce

TomAce

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Oh, my exact words were, "what the F did you do to my truck?" LoL... While laughing. Don't worry, it was all in good fun. But apparently all she did was try to connect her phone (Samsung Galaxy S22) to the USB port so she could use Android Auto

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Oh, my exact words were, "what the F did you do to my truck?" LoL... While laughing. Don't worry, it was all in good fun. But apparently all she did was try to connect her phone (Samsung Galaxy S22) to the USB port so she could use Android Auto
You're a better man than me.... My wife can't see over the steering wheel in my truck, let alone drive it. It would come back with the mirrors dangling and scratches up the sides :) :)

You might call the dealer to see if there is some way to do a more "hard reboot" to clear everything but that's all I can think of. These things are so damn high-tech these days that it's hard to say what it could be.

OP
OP
TomAce

TomAce

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Check the cable. If the USB C contacts were bent, it could do this ....
But it's still doing this even when nothing is connected to the port. There are literally no cords whatsoever. Maybe if I try a different cord, it might correct itself...

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
Likely unrelated, but our Grand Cherokee recently did an OTA update, and I have been getting the same message a good percentage of the time I plug my phone in. Maybe just coincidence.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
But it's still doing this even when nothing is connected to the port. There are literally no cords whatsoever. Maybe if I try a different cord, it might correct itself...
This error is common across all Android Auto/CarPlay Uconnect radios. It's possible it's not the phone or cable but the USB hub itself throwing the error.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Hey Everyone,

Any ideas out there?
Ideas? Yes, install a kill switch and don't tell her where it is.

OP
OP
TomAce

TomAce

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This error is common across all Android Auto/CarPlay Uconnect radios. It's possible it's not the phone or cable but the USB hub itself throwing the error.
Well, there are 4 ports (2 USB and 2 USB-C). My test was to plug MY phone in to each of them and hope for the best. First three were unsuccessful, but the 4th (USB-C)...that 4th one was the magic one!! Once I plugged it in and attached to my phone, the message stopped popping up. My conclusion is that 3 of the 4 ports are bad...Which means you are probably right in that I need to have the dealer replace the Hub.

PaleFlyer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You're a better man than me.... My wife can't see over the steering wheel in my truck, let alone drive it. It would come back with the mirrors dangling and scratches up the sides :) :)

You might call the dealer to see if there is some way to do a more "hard reboot" to clear everything but that's all I can think of. These things are so damn high-tech these days that it's hard to say what it could be.
There is a fuse (I think F86???) that is supposed to be for the uConnect, and from my experience, removing power for more than a few seconds (I was doing screen work due to the SL(01) leaking, and then replacing it with the SL(03)), triggers it to reset a lot of it's features.

PaleFlyer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've connected a whole host of weird crap to my '18, and never seen it persist. My watch (Garmin Vivoactive 4) it tries to use as AA/CarPlay, then "Oh wait, nope, that isn't a valid device!", a camcorder (wanted to bump a few percent into it on the way to a buddies wedding), and some other crap over the last 5 years. Sounds like she might have bent a pin, or damaged an internal circuit...

You could try going into the Engineering or Dealer menu, and reset through there, or just pull the fuse (F82 or F86 I THINK) for a few minutes/hours, see if that helps. My truck usually forgets it has AA for a few minutes after I pull power off the radio.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Well, there are 4 ports (2 USB and 2 USB-C). My test was to plug MY phone in to each of them and hope for the best. First three were unsuccessful, but the 4th (USB-C)...that 4th one was the magic one!! Once I plugged it in and attached to my phone, the message stopped popping up. My conclusion is that 3 of the 4 ports are bad...Which means you are probably right in that I need to have the dealer replace the Hub.
If not the actual hub hardware it's a driver bug that can persist across different radio firmwares and types (UAS/UAQ/UAX/etc).

Ram1958

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey Everyone,

Any ideas out there?
Go into Radio Settings and Uncheck Android. Make caraway the Default.

Bourgeois

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Hey Everyone,

Any ideas out there?
Mine just started 2 days ago, can't figure it out either, did you ever find a resolution?

Randy Grant

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I get the same thing once in a while. I now use the charge cord for my s22, and it works a lot better. Seems the gables are the biggest problem