Did Lubegard Biotech kill your hemi tick??

Did Lubegard Biotech kill your hemi tick?

• Yes, lubegard killed that tick

Votes: 19 30.2%
  • No, lubegard didn't kill tick, yet

Votes: 15 23.8%
  • Lubegard made hemi tick noticeably better not 100% though

Votes: 29 46.0%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bram2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
No for me. 700 miles in, 2019 2500 with 6.4 and 7,600 miles. Only ticks/ rattles after sitting hot and oil cools to around 80-110, will tick for about 30sec after startup. Has never ticked completely cold, Or at operating temp.

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
No for me. 700 miles in, 2019 2500 with 6.4 and 7,600 miles. Only ticks/ rattles after sitting hot and oil cools to around 80-110, will tick for about 30sec after startup. Has never ticked completely cold, Or at operating temp.

Thanks for reporting it, which oil do you use? What about filter as well?

Bram2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Thanks for reporting it, which oil do you use? What about filter as well?

ticking started around 2800 miles oil/filter combos have been

stock pup 0w-40, stock mopar filter

1st oil change:pup 0w-40, Mobil 1 Extended performance filter

2nd Oil change: Valvoline Advance 0w-40, Napa Platinum Filter

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
ticking started around 2800 miles oil/filter combos have been

stock pup 0w-40, stock mopar filter

1st oil change:pup 0w-40, Mobil 1 Extended performance filter

2nd Oil change: Valvoline Advance 0w-40, Napa Platinum Filter

At a minimum I would move to the srt filter, those are the real deal. My tick started 3500 miles new, so I know what a cruddy deal this is. I'd go through the dealer see what they say and do. As far as lubrication after you hit the dealer up, 5w40 redline is a special tick killer for the 6.4. If you try it, participate in that poll as well, it is in my sig redline thread, many times it takes between 500 to 1200 for the additives to plate. It is a better tick killer then lubegard, the decision is yours. I'd just say look at how many ram forum members have done this, many of us are driving around with quiet hemi's and all it took was an oil change.

Mgrimm1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
what about doing 6 quarts and 8-15 ounces of the lubegard? Or should I still stick with the 7?

From the Lubegard website -
DIRECTIONS FOR USE
Add 3 oz. of Bio/Tech for every quart of motor oil to the crank case. Can be added at any point in motor oil life. For best results, add to fresh oil during oil change. 10 oz. bottle treats one 3-1/2 quart system. 15 oz. bottle treats one 5 quart system.

The 6.4s take 7 quarts then that would be 21 oz of Lubegard? It seems like many are only talking about 15 oz. Sorry, not sure how many quarts for the 5.7. Is 21 oz too much Lubegard if I plan to use PUP?

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
but, if you add 21 ounces to 7 quarts you would have close to 8 quarts? If it were me, I'd just add 15. What is the reason for adding it, hemi tick or just for some extra protection?

Mgrimm1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Just extra protection in my situation. I thought about using 6 plus quarts of PUP and then 21 oz of Lubegard. Maybe I'll just use 15 oz if that has been working for others.

BLUKTY2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Okay, time to chime in.

First and foremost, many thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread, especially Burla. I have learned a lot and I appreciate everybody's time spent to share their experiences and knowledge. There is obviously a lot of well thought out research based on fact found here. Good job all!

I bought my first RAM in early 2017 (3500 w/6.4, custom order) after living for 20 years with a Ford F250 with the 7.3 diesel engine. Despite what some members on this forum might think/say about Fords, this was an amazing truck that I couldn't have been happier with. But it was time to replace it so I started looking at the only three manufactures that make 1 ton trucks (okay, really only two for me...). The Fords had the new aluminum bodies that year and I will not buy a first year ANYTHING major so I started looking seriously at a RAM. For several reasons I went with the RAM and initially thought that I would go with the Cummins engine because I was so happy with my prior experience with diesels. But I don't tow a lot of weight (at most around 1,500#'s) but do carry a 3,500# camper 98% of the time. So I was more interested in payload capacity versus towing ability, and since the gasser gave me about 400#'s more payload over the Cummins, I went with the 6.4 Hemi.

I had never heard of the "Hemi tick" prior to buying this truck, but I am pretty sure that my engine has the tick- currently at around 33,000 miles. I don't have anything to compare it to, but there is some pretty significant "ticking" for about a minute on cold starts especially. When I purchased the truck, one of the "ad ons" that I got was lifetime oil changes (up to five per year I think it is). Seemed like a good deal at the time, and still at this point I have no regrets- I have had 7 oil changes so far. I drive the truck hard (I don't haul air in the bed around town) and have the oil changed at around 4-5,000 miles. Of course with the lifetime changes the dealer uses the FCA spec oil, PUP 0W-40.

Based on the reading that i have done on this forum, and specifically this thread, I will be adding Lubegard Biotech to the engine as soon as my recently placed order arrives. I have known for decades that Moly is a proven fiction modifier and as long as it stays suspended in the oil, rather than settling out, I feel that it has the ability to significantly reduce friction and wear between metal/metal.

So at this time I plan on continuing the oil changes with PUP, rather than walking away from my purchase, and adding the Lubegard. I am looking forward to hearing a reduction, if not the elimination of, the tick that I am hearing......

Thanks again everyone- MUCH appreciated!

Pete

macrolinux

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I know I'm late to this thread but reporting anyway. I just changed my oil to Redline 5w30 and the RP 20-820 filter 2 days ago. My truck is a 2010 Ram (5.7L) I bought new and have had for over 11 years. It just turned 75k miles on the odometer. It's been a great truck with not much maintenance required other than brakes, rotors, and oil changes. I also had to replace a couple of broke exhaust bolts and exhaust gasket a few years ago on one side. I think it's had the startup ticking for 3 or so years now. It just ticks for 20 or 30 seconds and then goes away. I ran acroos the Redline page on here and then these posts about the Lubegard 30901 Bio/Tech Engine Oil Protectant. So I've been running the Redline for a couple of days and it hasn't stopped the ticking so I went ahead and just ordered the Lubegard 30901 Bio/Tech Engine Oil Protectant, 15 oz. I realize I should probably give it up to about 1500 miles with the Redline to give it time to do it's thing. So I may hold off on adding the Lubegard.

Thanks,
Steve

Last edited:
OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I know I'm late to this thread but reporting anyway. I just changed my oil to Redline 5w30 and the RP 20-820 filter 2 days ago. My truck is a 2010 Ram (5.7L) I bought new and have had for over 11 years. It just turned 75k miles on the odometer. It's been a great truck with not much maintenance required other than brakes, rotors, and oil changes. I also had to replace a couple of broke exhaust bolts and exhaust gasket a few years ago on one side. I think it's had the startup ticking for 3 or so years now. It just ticks for 20 or 30 seconds and then goes away. I ran acroos the Redline page on here and then these posts about the Lubegard 30901 Bio/Tech Engine Oil Protectant. So I've been running the Redline for a couple of days and it hasn't stopped the ticking so I went ahead and just ordered the Lubegard 30901 Bio/Tech Engine Oil Protectant, 15 oz. I realize I should probably give it up to about 1500 miles with the Redline to give it time to do it's thing. So I may hold off on adding the Lubegard.

Thanks,
Steve

Yes hold off, my truck started it all 10 years ago, and as well noted it took 500 miles to go silent, so I urge you to wait at least 500 miles, preferable 750 miles before thinking about lubegard. many trucks go silent right away, some take a while, it is a fact. note mileage, keep us updated, you might want to bring up rpm's to about 3000 prior to shut off for a while.

macrolinux

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes hold off, my truck started it all 10 years ago, and as well noted it took 500 miles to go silent, so I urge you to wait at least 500 miles, preferable 750 miles before thinking about lubegard. many trucks go silent right away, some take a while, it is a fact. note mileage, keep us updated, you might want to bring up rpm's to about 3000 prior to shut off for a while.

Okay, thanks for the tips and I will keep ya posted as I get more miles on it or if anything changes.

Update 4/14/21- 440 miles on the Redline 5w30 and still no change.

Last edited:

Bradleonard

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hello, I am new to Ram trucks. I have a 1 owner 2016 5.7 that I just bought with 63k miles on it. It appears to have been really well maintained. I don't think I have any signs of either kind of tick right now but I am definitely interested in prevention. My oil life indicator is at 97%. Should I consider adding Lubegard now to begin preservation and promote upper drive train lubrication?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Hello, I am new to Ram trucks. I have a 1 owner 2016 5.7 that I just bought with 63k miles in it. It appears to have been really well maintained. I don't think I have any signs of either kind of tick right now but I am definitely interested in prevention. My oil life indicator is at 97%. Should I consider adding Lubegard now to begin preservation and promote upper drive train lubrication?

Yes, molybdenum is what the oil industry uses for "dry lifter starts" or dry starts in general. Lubegard biotech is a moly additive, along with esters which are also good at lubrication skidding metal pieces better then just oil. It is just cheap insurance, imo a great idea.

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
just add it

Firebird

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi
Is Lubeguard better than LiquiMoly.

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Is Lubeguard better than LiquiMoly.

Personal choice, one of the main differences is lubegard doesn't gel in the sump because it is oil soluble, liqui moly is not oil soluble, it is moly in suspension. When it falls out of suspension it finds other moly molecules and creates something that looks like sludge in your sump. Now, what does that actually mean? I don't really know, seams like tons of people run it and love it. Not only that but lubegard actual has an ester base, which is also good against tick.

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I ran lubegard for the first time at my last oil change.

Should I run it every oil change?

No tick, just the usual Hemi noises, lol.

118k miles

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I will trust @Burla I just did an oil change its got maybe 200 miles on it. I just ordered some. No tick, just for 11 bucks its cheap insurance from what I am reading.