Did Lubegard Biotech kill your hemi tick??

Did Lubegard Biotech kill your hemi tick?

• Yes, lubegard killed that tick

Votes: 19 30.2%
  • No, lubegard didn't kill tick, yet

Votes: 15 23.8%
  • Lubegard made hemi tick noticeably better not 100% though

Votes: 29 46.0%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Larry Meares

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks Burla. I am going to give it a try. I have 2012 Ram 1500 Sport with the 5.7 Hemi. I am also getting ready to do an oil change with Redline.

I had a roller bearing go out on a lifter a few months ago, at about 170,000 miles. (5800 hours) It also wiped out the lobe on the camshaft. I replaced camshaftwith Mopar, but chose to replace lifters with aftermarket. Big mistake, they make so much clatter. Any other ideas to quiet it down?

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Thanks Burla. I am going to give it a try. I have 2012 Ram 1500 Sport with the 5.7 Hemi. I am also getting ready to do an oil change with Redline.

I had a roller bearing go out on a lifter a few months ago, at about 170,000 miles. (5800 hours) It also wiped out the lobe on the camshaft. I replaced camshaftwith Mopar, but chose to replace lifters with aftermarket. Big mistake, they make so much clatter. Any other ideas to quiet it down?

I see you are new, welcome to ram forum, sorry it seams like this scourge of cam/lifter problems brought you here. We have been dealing with this and experimenting with different lubrication strategies because for most of us that is all we got. I know you feel bad because you have new cam/lifters and it still ticks, that will not be the first or last time this has happened, in fact it happens pretty frequently. I don't have a % at this point on how many engines tick after a cam swap, but I can tell you I have heard this at least ten times in my ten year here.

So at this time the best Ram Forum has come up with is running redline 5w30 to kill that tick, and if you read the poll results in my sig, you will see only about 10% of people who try this don't get any relief. Kinda of amazing that a simple oil change will have 90% of ticking hemi's better, and of those 66% kill their ticks completely.

I recommend you do this and only this, change to 5w30 redline and a spun microglass filter I recommend royal purple 20-820 or amsoil ea filter. And the science of this formula is waiting for the plating effect of the formula, so sometimes a tick goes silent right away, others like mine and hemi395 it takes between 500 miles and 1700 miles. The plating effect takes pressure and time and has to survive heat cycles, this "can" take time. It's just an oil change and for people suffering from tick this has proven to be very very effective. Leave the lubegard alone at this point, it is good, but not as good as redline for this. With more testing maybe it will be, dunno. But redline's results are established, we have multiple regular ram forum members on this voodoo going on a decade.

I hope you try it, this is my advice, and keep in mind the forum deserves accurate info, so if you try it please report whether it was successful or NOT, whatever the facts are in the poll.

Everyone has their opinion on this, my opinion is it isn't the lifters or cam, but the block. I think the lifter cavity is just wrong, I think the design keep lubrication from getting to the pressure points. That is why this high molybdenum formula kills so many ticks. I killed my tick with 5w20 redline, and that is very close in viscosity to the 5w20 that was in it, so how would that be possible? It isn't a viscosity thing, it is a base oil thing plus additive thing. Lubegard has two features redline has, ester and high moly, this is also effective as we see. Similar science, but redline has more of it if you compare lubegard added to otc oils. So get you some 5w30 redline and a 20-820 and give er a go.

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I'm not sure it was the roller bearing, my guess would be the lifter was not lifting at the rate needed, and that is what caused a failure in the roller bearing. If it was the bearing causing all of these fails and ticking, why is molybdenum successful at killing these ticks? It is more likely then not the restriction these lifters we are seeing in this block is causing excessive pressure in the bearings, no bearing will survive that over time.

The good news backed up with forum members uoa's, kill the tick, you kill the excessive wear And I'm not sure of any redline users that have had their cam fail. There was two, but in both of those situations they had mis fires already and there is nothing you can do at that point. I doubt we can ever say as a factual matter this "fixes" the situation, but it is all we got for this. It seams like this formula brings adequate lubrication to a point where currently there is inadequate lubrication.

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Amazon back when I bought mine, now it is up to $6.85 per 10 ounce size, 10 bucks and chnage for 15 ounce, should boost moly by 100ppm in a 7 quart sump. Slightly cheaper then Canadians get it.

Yep. I just got the 3-pack I ordered off Amazon today. $6.85+tax per 10oz bottle. What ticks me off is the seller tied off the 3 bottles nicely in a plastic bag, but then just tossed it in a box with a small plastic air pillow packing. One or more of the bottles leaked into the bag and it started to seep into the box. I probably lost an once of blue liquid gold. I emailed the seller just to make them aware you need to tape the caps secure.

My plan is to alternate between LiquiMoly #2009 and Lubegard biotech w/ each ~5000mi OCI.

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Yep. I just got the 3-pack I ordered off Amazon today. $6.85+tax per 10oz bottle. What ticks me off is the seller tied off the 3 bottles nicely in a plastic bag, but then just tossed it in a box with a small plastic air pillow packing. One or more of the bottles leaked into the bag and it started to seep into the box. I probably lost an once of blue liquid gold. I emailed the seller just to make them aware you need to tape the caps secure.

My plan is to alternate between LiquiMoly #2009 and Lubegard biotech w/ each ~5000mi OCI.

do you or did you have some hemi tick?

buddy guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi

Interesting on the leak. I ordered 6 bottles & noticed one had leaked a touch too. A few caps were a bit loose but all foil seals under seemed intact. Probably better luck to email lubegard themselves about it. The ones i got anyway were amazon supplied. I can't see them tightening the caps. I didnt lose much but yeah..bs in the manufacture.

Sent from my SM-N960W using Tapatalk

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
So have you seen what happens when mos2 falls out of suspension?

I have. I'm not sure it does this in the oil sump though, or atleast I haven't seen data to support that. Only DIY container type tests. I put 1500-2000miles per month on my truck anyway.

The graphite look of the stuff does however make me not want to run it every OC, thus the bio tech thrown into the mix. This is for my 2019 Ram 1500 classic hemi w/ 15k miles.

Larry Meares

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I recommend you do this and only this, change to 5w30 redline and a spun microglass filter I recommend royal purple 20-820 or amsoil ea filter. And the science of this formula is waiting for the plating effect of the formula, so sometimes a tick goes silent right away, others like mine and hemi395 it takes between 500 miles and 1700 miles. The plating effect takes pressure and time and has to survive heat cycles, this "can" take time. It's just an oil change and for people suffering from tick this has proven to be very very effective. Leave the lubegard alone at this point, it is good, but not as good as redline for this. With more testing maybe it will be, dunno. But redline's results are established, we have multiple regular ram forum members on this voodoo going on a decade.[/QUOTE

Larry Meares

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Burla, Not sure WTH I am doing trying to reply to your post. LOL I have purchased a couple gallons of Redline 5W-30 after reading your earlier post. I have a Mopar filter, but you think I should get a RP or Amsoil?

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
The only mopar filter I would use is their srt filter. It is up to you, but I encourage you to read the oil filter thread in my sig. I see very little reason to ever use paper filters.

Spun Microglass- Filters better, and flows better and last longer. Only downside is a couple bucks. In the syn thread there was a point where a bunch of us cut open our filters, the paper filters were all toast, the spun microglass outlasted any oil interval.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Threw most of a bottle of Lubeguard in the wifes toy last night.Car is quiet as it is,so i did it more for peace of mind with the 0W-40 PUP it calls for.Time will tell if it keeps the cam in her 6.4 happy,that's if the damn women keeps it long enough,lol. She's bought 3 new cars in the last 5 years,while i'm still driving the same damn 6 year old truck,lol

Larry Meares

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The only mopar filter I would use is their srt filter. It is up to you, but I encourage you to read the oil filter thread in my sig. I see very little reason to ever use paper filters.

Spun Microglass- Filters better, and flows better and last longer. Only downside is a couple bucks. In the syn thread there was a point where a bunch of us cut open our filters, the paper filters were all toast, the spun microglass outlasted any oil interval.
I will check out your oil filter thread. I appreciate the research and your advise. I actually purchased a RP filter last night. It should be in Sunday. I will post results once I feel satisfied one way or the other!

Repost Police

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I have a bottle being delivered today. JBA headers have really made my tick more noticeable since I don't have an exhaust leak to cover it up anymore. We'll see what happens... About 62k here.

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I will check out your oil filter thread. I appreciate the research and your advise. I actually purchased a RP filter last night. It should be in Sunday. I will post results once I feel satisfied one way or the other!

I've torn open MANY filters... oil and fuel. I've yet to find a "toast" oil filter. That term has a connotation of being so hot as to be scorched.

Ludville1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi Sport Crew
Threw most of a bottle of Lubeguard in the wifes toy last night.Car is quiet as it is,so i did it more for peace of mind with the 0W-40 PUP it calls for.Time will tell if it keeps the cam in her 6.4 happy,that's if the damn women keeps it long enough,lol. She's bought 3 new cars in the last 5 years,while i'm still driving the same damn 6 year old truck,lol

Yeah, but at least it's a fast one, lol!

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Yeah, but at least it's a fast one, lol!

I have to admit,her 1320 Challenger is impressing the hell out of me,lol. The car for a bone stock N/A 6.4 hauls ass pretty good,so far it's ran 12.11 at one track and 12.16 at another track with the DA at just under 5,000ft at both tracks,and that's just foot braking it,and launching off idle,i only have a couple passes with it,she's got a couple dozen in it,but if the weather is good tonight,i'm gonna make a couple passes with it,and see how it does launching off the factory tranny brake. I like the fact FCA warrenties the 1320's even if they break on the track,as long as it's "stock". Here's a short little 1 minute video on the 1320's,they're even more rare then the Demons. Her car is identical to the one in the video,reminds me of the purple Dinosaur that used to be on a kids show a few years back,lol,lol.